BankFodder BankFodder

daisy387438

Over-Billed Energy - Previous Company

Hi,

A couple of years ago I changed suppliers and I gave my new supplier my opening readings, but the old supplier used estimated ones which were way too high, and thus my bill was much higher than it should have been. 

I had repeatedly given them the actual correct readings multiple times.

I spent several months chasing them upon the issue until they promised to amend my readings and told me they would keep me informed.

With the over-billing I suspect I would have come out in credit once the reading was corrected, but difficult to know for sure since they never issued an ammended bill.

However I never heard anything further from them and forgot about the matter. 

A couple of years later they are now sending letters saying they will pass onto the DCA, and claiming I owe money.

The amount is the same as on the (incorrect) bill for which the readings were wrong, (and which was supposed to have been amended as per their assurance).

I never received a corrected bill.

I am not sure what to respond with, I have asked for evidence that my readings were corrected as promised.

But as I understand it, if a company makes a billing mistake and has not corrected it within 12 months of discovering the error they're not allowed to back-bill anyway.

It's unclear to me, though, if this back-billing policy covers "OVER" billing rather than just under-billing.

Do you have any advice?

Many thanks

dca's are totally powerless and are not bailiffs

who's the company please?

• Like 1

I have seen that, yes. It's just upsetting to be receiving such threats when I've done nothing wrong. I spent a long time trying to get it sorted with them and they havn't bothered to update me on anything and now all of a sudden nasty threats.

It's a company called gn ergy

work out the correct amount and ask your current supplier of a copy of the readings as evidence and send them a letter telling them they have a fortnight to refund the overpayment or you will sue them for the money.

Send this to the CEO  or top director of the company and you will soon get a response

Unfortunately they never replied to any of my correspondence, but have now emailed me again threatening to pass my info onto a debt collection agency.

I don't see how they can completely ignore my complaint and continue to send me nasty threats, this is from years ago too.

My understanding is that they cannot backbill after 12 months where they've made an error, and I'm pretty sure they overcharged me because the estimate was so high and probably owe ME money

but they don't respond to my complaint eventhough I have a long chain of emails regarding this situation including a promise from them to ammend the readings.

Should I ignore?

The amount they're claiming I owe is around 70 £ and based on an incorrect estimate.

My new supplier received the same opening readings as I gave to them for my closing readings to the old supplier and I advised they could confirm this with them at the time,

but still the old company still chose to try and charge me for estimates that were wrong.

Has changed suppliers since also, since the old one went bust.

Essentially if I pay this I would have paid for the same energy twice and I don't see why I should, it's unreasonable.

you are safe to ignore and block and bounce all emails.

DCA's are not bailiffs

and have

ZERO legal powers on ANY debt.

dx

Thank you DX, I could get a complaint going to the energy ombudsman but felt it would be a complete waste of time considering their refusal to correspond with me by any means other than threatening emails.

Not sure if I can bounce back emails on my account but I can ignore them.