British Gas Warrant to fit prepayment meter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1731 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an outstanding electric bill with British Gas and have been unable to pay due to financial difficulties. 

I contacted them before the bill was due and tried to set up a temporary payment plan - They rejected my offer and sent me a payment card with a payment plan for more money per month than I could afford. I have tried to sort this out with them several times and they are rude on the phone and have kept me on phone for long periods of time, passing me around and rejecting every attempt I have made to resolve. 

They have sent aggressive debt collectors to house several times and have threatened to obtain warrant for forced entry to fit pre-payment meter. Are they allowed to do that? They told me on phone that court application for warrant has been applied for already.

I have tried to switch supplier but British Gas have my address details incorrect on national database & refuse to correct and have threatened me that if I tried to change supplier they would refuse anyway. 

I would appreciate any advice

Edited by Cadbury10

Yes - Stupidly thought they would be more helpful in sorting this out quickly over the phone...

On the last phone call I told them if they don't cancel their action against me with warrant to force entry I will be charging them £1000 per hour of my time spent on this and have already spent several hours on the phone to them.

If you need any more info about the situation, or what has been said on phonecalls in order to help with what I should write in letter, please let me know. 

Appreciate any assistance with this

It's hard to write a letter for you when we don't know what you want to achieve.

You could post up a brief outline of the problem and the solution you want to put to BG, if that's what you want to write about. Then hopefully we can help you to refine it.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I would help if I could, but I don't think there's enough to go on from your first post and if you don't know what you want to achieve that makes it harder. Fwiw, I don't think a rant about how they've treated you is going to make much difference.

HB

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

I don't know if you are aware but the most likely way this will play out is that a prepayment meter will be fitted; you say they already have a warrant to access your home to do that. Any outstanding debt will be set on the meter, ie it will claim so much a week for the debt in addition to your consumption. The warrant fee will most likely also be added to the debt - that will be in three figures -  and so will any additional charges incurred whilst fitting the meter -  dog handler, locksmith, etc.

You would not be allowed to change supplier with a debt on the account, I'm not sure at what level of debt that cuts in at these days, ten years ago it was £10 (!!)

I used to work in this area so don't shoot the messenger...

Unless you can pay this off in a lump sum the best thing for you to do now is to accept the prepayment meter.  It will cost you more in the long run if you do not.

BTW in my time in dealing with this - office end - meter fitters were faced with bricked up doors, snake cage built around meter, vicious dogs,  and the occasional dead body. Also a number of abandoned animals were rescued.

My best memory of this not very pleasant job was speaking to someone who had just fitted a meter in an abandoned property and being told he was leaving just as soon as he found something to put the abandoned goldfish in, on it's way to his tank at home...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

HB - I do not understand what "FWIW" means and wouldn't really call my problem "having a rant"... I just feel more anxious and distressed about it now.

Raven - Are you trying to scare me even more & cause me more distress? Not helpful at all and my property is not abandoned. Lets hope you're never in the same position - maybe you might understand how it feels then.

They are attempting an illegal warrant to break into my home under a gas act that isn't applicable.

Can anyone actually offer some helpful advice ?

The illegal gas act Freeman argument won't hold water, send them an I & E with a reasonable proposal, that covers existing payment ongoing, and something off arrears, or if they haven't yet take court action agree to the meter and a fixed sum to be set for arrears, before they fit it, that would avoid the costs indicated by Raven 1 being added to the account also.  If they set the repayment too high you can complain and have it reduced, they are not allowed to set ludicrous figures like £100 per week for arrears.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Cads you owe them £395 in arrears...its hardly an Illegal Warrant for creditors to want paying...thats life.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

7 minutes ago, brassnecked said:

The illegal gas act Freeman argument won't hold water, send them an I & E with a reasonable proposal, that covers existing payment ongoing, and something off arrears, or if they haven't yet take court action agree to the meter and a fixed sum to be set for arrears, before they fit it, that would avoid the costs indicated by Raven 1 being added to the account also.  If they set the repayment too high you can complain and have it reduced, they are not allowed to set ludicrous figures like £100 per week for arrears.

Brassnecked - Thank you, that's a bit more supportive & helpful... I am not going to agree to prepayment meter. I cant send them an I & E as I currently have ZERO income. They have already set the repayment too high and I have done all I can and being polite has not worked with them, so well within my rights to "have a rant" to them about their incompetence, ignorance & shady, unlawful practices. I feel extremely threatened and distressed. I have complained and cannot live under the threat of having my home broken into. 

Would I be best sending them a letter confirming what i've already discussed with them over the phone and offer of token monthly payment, along with written complaint of what I have already complained over phone and have received no response from them. Or would it be best to hit them where it hurts in their wallets for distress caused by their bullying abuse & threats? 

Just don't know the best approach for what to write in letter as being nice to them doesn't work either..

11 minutes ago, Andyorch said:

Cads you owe them £395 in arrears...its hardly an Illegal Warrant for creditors to want paying...thats life.

Andy

Andy - I think you'll find that it is illegal and it is not a crime for somebody to have financial problems. No, that isn't life

Can anybody else actually offer some helpful advice?

• Like 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

24 minutes ago, Cadbury10 said:

Andy - They already know my situation and have continued to threaten & refused to assist. 

And NO - Nobody has the right to break into my property

If they are granted a legal warrant it isn't breaking in nor trespass. I would go through the above again and take some of the information in as it seems like you aren't.

There is helpful advice above, as mentioned previously send an Income and Expense form in to see if you can work out manageable payments before it gets to the warrant stage.

At the end of the day you owe money for a service they have supplied and you have used, most of what there are doing is completely lawful it may be a bit immoral but that is business for these large corporations unfortunately.

I have been in the situation of owing money on utilities and being open and honest with them I managed to get a monthly amount set up to pay off the debt.

If you keep being dismissive with the help you are being offered you will find people may become less inclined to offer advise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Executing a warrant is not breaking in, that is why they get a warrant of access, and if necessary they can call upon the police to assist.

If at the end of the day for whatever reason they cannot access your property to fit a prepayment meter, they will  simply disconnect your supply outside the property. From the best of my recollections there is a substantial charge  to get the power reconnected if that happens in addition to clearing the debt..

As others have suggested the most practical solution is to contact the supplier and agree to have the prepayment meter fitted. 

There really is nowhere else to go which will not exacerbate your situation further.

cadbury...listen carefully.

you have enough medical issues to get yourself under the care scheme.

go ring this number..

tell them your story.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Before you do anything else on the telephone, please read our customer services guide and implement the advice there. You should not be using the telephone unless you have at least taken this advice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1731 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks