UK credit card debt but now in Australia

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1710 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I moved permanently to Australia 10 months ago and left a credit card bill of around £2500 that I was paying upto the point where my temp contract in Australia came to an end, now they've sold the debt to a debt collector that's now saying I have 26 days before they get their legal team to seek a ccj, they don't know I live in Australia now, should I tell them I live in Australia to block the CCJ? what are the consequencesof them knowing my address?

Thanks

Yes you always keep creditors informed of your current residential address. This is to avoid a CCJ as they used your last UK address for the Court claim. Yes you will receive letters for awhile, but not much they can do. 

From previous cases reported to this site, Australian Courts do not appear to be that helpful in applying foreign debts. It is probably possible for a determined creditor to enforce the debt in Australia. But for a debt of that amount it is very unlikely, as economically it is not viable. 

Most likely the debt will be sold to debt buyers, but not until the original creditor have written it off as a loss against tax. So you could be waiting years for the debt buyers to chase for payment.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

If you have other debts, it might be worth you looking to place notes on your UK credit file, saying that you live in Australia. Creditors/current debt owners won't do this, even after you told them you had emigrated. 

Experian/Equifax etc have a process for this. Read their site FAQ"s.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thread moved to the appropriate forum...please continue to posthere to your thread.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread