work asked me not to go in because of shingles

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1736 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've just got back from the doctors with a diagnosis of shingles. He said that because of the location of the rash (back), the risk of spreading is very low. Its only contagious when blistered, and only if someone comes into direct contact with the blisters i.e. it cant be spread via breathing, coughing or touching.

I've notified work and told them the doctor said I'm fine to work and not a risk. 

Their reply was that I should stay at home until recovered. Can they do this? - Both the doctor and I haven't got an issue with my return to work. 

I will get ssp while off work. If work insist I shouldn't go in, can I request full pay?

Thanks. They wont have completed a written health assessment, but will no doubt write one if ask for it. 

What I understand from the document you linked..

If the written assessment deems I cannot work due to the risk of passing it onto other staff/customers. Then I should be entitled to full pay for up to 26 weeks of suspension. 

Is that correct?

Edited by puma85

given shingles generally clears in 4 - 6 weeks, that's not going to happen.

ask for the risk assessment, and come back after you have.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I doubt they will send me a formal written risk assessment anytime soon. What they have said via sms is that because I deal with customers etc. I can go back to work when the blisters have scabbed (non contagious).

This normally takes a week. 

so are they going to pay you, that is what you really want to know. What they are saying in effect is that you are suspended for reasons other than clinical so stop trying to guess what they may or may not have done regarding an assessment and make them either do it or let you retun to work

10 hours ago, ericsbrother said:

so are they going to pay you, that is what you really want to know. What they are saying in effect is that you are suspended for reasons other than clinical so stop trying to guess what they may or may not have done regarding an assessment and make them either do it or let you retun to work

Yes in my first post I asked if they were going to pay me my full wages or ssp. 

I have asked for an assessment but no reply yet. I've been off one day so far. 

The only message they sent me said that because of the risk of contagion, they do not want me to come in.  Is this not enough? - Sounds like they are suspending for clinical reasons to me. 

Edited by puma85

Look, IF they are suspending you then it is on full pay so you make them put this inwriting or they let you return to work.

Dont offer any suggestions regarding SSP or read into their " wen dont want you to" anythin g that isnt there. If I was an employer I would like all my employees to wrok 100 hours a week for less tha the minimum wage but just wishing that to be so wont make it legal or get anyone to agree to it by inertia.

you have to be certain about the language used an everything in writing.