• Tweets

• Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Steward vs Abbey....Help please!!

colinsteward
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6225 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi This site has been an inspiration for me and I want to shout its address from the roof tops!!! My DPA letter goes in the post today.

The only niggle in the back of my head is that when I have complained to Abbey in the past about their unreasonable charges (BTW the worst a £30 charge for a 79p itunes debit!) they have offered me a token refund in full and final payment which in my ignorance I have accepted.

Would this have any bearing on my claim??

Thanks again

colin:D

Previous refunds have no bearing on it at all.

Just follow the route mentioned in the FAQ's and stick to the timelines mentioned.

If my posts have helped you please use the scales at the top of my posts :)

Any opinions from Jannercobbler are strictly my own and I have no affiliation with any group or services.

The two most beautiful words in the English Language are "Cheque Enclosed" - Dorothy Parker

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/399-abbey-letter-sent.html

Me v Abbey - £3000 + Int + Costs + Credit File Cleaned.

LBA Sent 12/3/06

Court Claim started - 31/5/2006

Allocation Questionnaire Filed - 24/7/06

Court Date allocated 31/10/2006

Me v Citi-Cards - CCA Sent 27/07/06

Me v Citi-Cards - Data Protection Act Sent 03/08/06

Me v Capital One - Data Protection Act Sent 03/08/06

Me v Hillesden Securities - CCA Sent 03/08/06

Me v Hillesden Securities - DPA Sent 03/08/06

• 3 weeks later...

Sent request for statements, got back the standard microfiche argument!!

Prompted me to have a search around in the loft and have managed to find five years worth of statements bar a couple of odd months... so first request for return of charges going in the post tomorrow!!!

• 2 months later...

Hi all my claims progressing as per most threads I've been reading against abbeyt. just sending back the trnsfer of proceedings. My question is can the ammount of claim be amended at this late stage to take into account further charges? I've just been hit for another £80 for going £20 over my limit for 1 day!!! or do I have to make a fresh claim at a later date?? Also anybody have any idea of timescales from this point in the proceedings??

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Can anyone help please? I've filled out and sent my allocation questionnaire and received a copy of abbeys with an offer to give me half of my claim which I am refusing.

I had assumed the next stage of the proceedings would be to receive a date for the hearing from the court when I received the following this morning:

>>>>

Before District Judge Singleton sitting at Gloucester........GL1 2DE

Upon Both parties filling allocation questionaries.

IT IS ORDERED THAT

The claim be stayed on the grounds that the claiment's statement of case discloses inadequate particulars of claim. Unless by 4.00pm on 13th December 2006 the claimant files and servers a further statement of the case that sets out the full particulars of the claim, the claim will stand struck out.

No details have been given as to how the charges figure is arrived at.

The claiment should also send a copy otf the further statement to the defendant or their representatives and confirm to the court that this has been done.

ends.>>>>

is the court just asking for my schedule of claim for charges?? The original clim was filedusing moneyclaim online before being passed on to Glos court when abbey filed a defence. Searched through the site but cant find anyone thats had similar... What should i do now??:(

It nothibng to worry about, but you must take the court order seriously. You need to submit fuller POC's

here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=681

and also expand on the statutes cited

and include a schedule if you haven't sent one since filing.

See here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/48799-anyone-else-had-their.html

Thanks Michael

Forgive my Ignorance!! no court experience at all!!

Do I fill out the N1 form with the same POC (from the template) I used when I filed the original claim online or will that just be repeating what the judge has already seen? No schedule has been sent as yet so I can send that with the form, although the interest will have increased from the original claim?

Don't use the MCOL POC's use the N1 hard copy here:

4. Particulars of claim - N1 - hard copy version

and quote the specific clauses from paragraph 1(e) of Schedule 2 to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (Sch. 2(1)(e) UTCCR SI1999:2083 - from here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/statutes-library/

I don't think you need the N1 form just head it Particulars of Claim and Case No. XXX and You v Abbey

Add this at the bottom:

Statement of Truth

I believe the facts stated within this Statement to be true and comprises of xx pages.

The schedule should be the same as when you filed. Click on the time in your taskbar and reset the date to the date you filed. Open the s/s and it should then be correct. Reset date after.

Obviously enclose a covering letter.

Michale is spot on,

I would recommend that you post your proposed

particulars online so they can be commented on before you submit them.

It would be a pain to do some work then still get struck out so a help can be given to make sure that doesn't happen.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Would agree with Michael and Glenn, need to get it right for the court so they do not throw it out.

Regards bish.

• Haha 1

Abbey : £8070.41*PAID IN FULL*14/02/07:D

Capital one : LBA sent 17/09/06 £1,087.22

Marbles : LBA sent 17/09/06 £720.00 ; £720 offer accepted:D

Hi

I contacted the court and I dont need the N1 form thanx.

Below is my covering letter and further statement. If you could check it out for me I would be much obliged. Should I put the case No on all documents do you think?

The Court Manager

GLOUCESTER County Court

Kimbrose Way

Gloucester

GL1 2DE

30th Novemeber 2006

Dear Sir/Madam,

CLAIM NUMBER: 6QZ72294

Further to the General Form of Judgment Order dated 23rd November 2006, please find enclosed a further statement of case setting out the full particulars of the claim and a schedule of charges.

I would also confirm a copy of this statement and the schedule of charges have been sent to the defendant Abbey National Plc.

Yours faithfully,

Colin G Steward

ends

IN THE GLOUCESTER COUNTY COURT

BETWEEN

COLIN STEWARD CLAIMANT

And

ABBEY NATIONAL PLC DEFENDANT

PARTICULARS OF CLAIM

1. The Claimant has an account 65437815 ("the Account") with the Defendant which was opened on or around October 2001.

2. During the period in which the Account has been operating the Defendant debited numerous charges to the Account in respect of purported breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant and also charged interest on the charges once applied. The Claimant understands that the Defendant contends that the charges were debited in accordance with the terms of the contract between itself and the Claimant.

3. A list of the charges applied is attached to these particulars of claim.

4. The Claimant contends that:

a) The charges debited to the Account are punitive in nature; are not a genuine pre-estimate of cost incurred by the Defendant; exceed any alleged actual loss to the Defendant in respect of any breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant; and are not intended to represent or related to any alleged actual loss, but instead unduly enrich the Defendant which exercises the contractual term in respect of such charges with a view to profit.

b) The contractual provision that permits the Defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable by virtue of the Unfair Contract Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999) in particular schedule 2 (INDICATIVE AND NON-EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF TERMS WHICH MAY BE REGARDED AS UNFAIR), paragraph 1(e) “requiring any consumer who fails to fulfil his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation”, the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and the common law.

5. Accordingly the Claimant claims:

a) the return of the amounts debited in respect of charges in the sum of £2033.00 and any interest charged thereon;

b) Court costs;

c) Interest pursuant to section 69 County Courts Act as set out on the attached list of charges or at such rate and for such periods as the court deems just.

I believe that the contents of these particulars of claim are true and comprises of 3 pages.

Signed:

Date:

ends

• 3 weeks later...

Help I'm not sure what I should do now!!??? It seems like I have to just sit and wait whilst I watch everyone else win their cases!!!

I've just had a judgement after submiting a further statement of case to gloucester court saying:

It is ordered that the action be stayed until 13 feb 2007 or until further Order on the basis that there is a possibility of a test case before a higher court within the next few months the result of which is likely to reduce the need and/or amount of litigation in these types of cases:the stay will also afford the parties an opportunity to try and settle the matter without a court hearing.

Liberty to apply to remove the stay

File to be referred back to the district judge by 14th Feb 2007.

This order was made on the District judges own initiative pursuant to CPR Part 23.8 If you object to the terms of the order you must make an application to the court to have it set aside, varied or stayed within 7 days of receiving it pursuant to CPR part 23.10

ends

Should I object to the terms of the order and have it set aside??? How do i go about it??

Any help would of course be much appreciated.

Thanks

(posted this in the Abbey forum yesterday before I found this forum)

Help I'm not sure what I should do now!!??? It seems like I have to just sit and wait whilst I watch everyone else win their cases!!!

I've just had a judgement after submiting a further statement of case to gloucester court saying:

It is ordered that the action be stayed until 13 feb 2007 or until further Order on the basis that there is a possibility of a test case before a higher court within the next few months the result of which is likely to reduce the need and/or amount of litigation in these types of cases:the stay will also afford the parties an opportunity to try and settle the matter without a court hearing.

Liberty to apply to remove the stay

File to be referred back to the district judge by 14th Feb 2007.

This order was made on the District judges own initiative pursuant to CPR Part 23.8 If you object to the terms of the order you must make an application to the court to have it set aside, varied or stayed within 7 days of receiving it pursuant to CPR part 23.10

ends

_________________________ ______

Should I object to the terms of the order and have it set aside??? How do i go about it??

Any help would of course be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ok If you wish to remove the stay it will cost £35. This is not recoverable.

here is a link for a letter used by Mcuth. You need to amend the letter and send it to the Judge to ask for the removal of the stay.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/post-316857.html

Thanks livelylad. Starting to amend the letter. Can anyone point me in the direction of a list of abbey cases that I can use instead of the Lloyds ones??

Re- application for removal of stay.

Ok...I have amended the letter from the templates library and have the updated list of completed cases. Thanks guys:)

Now.. How do i go about making the application? Do I need to use the N244 form as suggested? If so is there guidance for filling it out for a complete nonce like me??? Not sure which bits are applicable!

Also is the fee £35 (no mention of it on the form)??