Work Mileage Tax Rebate a.k.a Online Processing

L13
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1730 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

i have seen a couple of threads regarding the above from last year. I also made the mistake of using these to register my details and start a mileage tax relief rebate. I received an email 2/7/19 saying how it works. Again no mention of payment terms. 

They sent me a letter in the post asking for my NI number, employment details and a signature/date to say that I accept the t&cs (which I didn’t read until just before) , the information provided is accurate and that i will review and approve the form before submission of the form (which ive not had yet) and i sent this off in the post. 

Ive since had a phone call today asking for more information eg. Places I’ve travelled, my car reg details, how many times a week/month I visited the places. Also other info (tax and Ni paid from a recent payslip) to log in to hmrc too see my previous tax paid. I ended the conversation with them saying they will call me back on Tuesday to get my student loan repayments for tax years 16/17 and 17/18 before they do anything further. I haven’t had the submission form to check through etc thats mentioned in the t&cs as I assume they will want to wait until I've provided them with my student loan repayments?

If i ignore the call and don’t pursue this will I be liable to pay the fees stipulated in their t&cs??? 

Im also 3 weeks off giving birth so I really don’t need the stress and worry that I will be taken to court or anything :( 

its fair to say I've learnt my lesson and will do research next time! Or go through hmrc direct! 

Sorry for the rant and i hope this makes sense. 

Thanks so much in advance!

whos the firm?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Work mileage tax Rebate or as I have found out from research Online Processing. 

Im going to call today and say I dont want them to pursue my claim and put it in writing as per their t&cs but I feel like they may still send me charges for ‘work carried out’ as I have previously seen in reviews etc. 

Thanks

I imagine it's this one, https://workmileagetaxrebate.co.uk/ , whose t&c say they are owned by "Online Processing (UK) Ltd (registered in England, Company Number: 07981782) of PO Box 10521, Market Harborough, Leicester LE16 0HE". As OP has noted they charge to submit claims to HMRC for tax rebates that you could submit direct to HMRC yourself for nothing.

Yes which you don’t get told until you research or are a stickler for reading t&cs 😦 they still haven’t said they charge to me on the phone or in writing. 

Thank you for the links.

Ethel, I too had a feeling that it's a site that pretends to be official but is charging for something you can do for free. I nearly got caught out renewing our EHICs years ago, a site that was charging for you to fill in all the online forms and then wanting payment for a card that's free.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Having had a phone call just now they will charge £96 to cancel the claim. So i may as well get my rebate and suffer the consequences of them taking their fee from it which she quoted as 28% plus £96? And just let this be a lesson to me?! 

No they haven’t they say it’s only an estimate anyway. I’m waiting for the forms which they claim is ‘their work carried out’ to be sent to me with the estimate on it and all details I’ve given them

over the phone. I then have to check and sign this and send it back to them. 

theh said these can take 4/6 weeks to arrive with me anyway! 

58 minutes ago, honeybee13 said:

Ethel, I too had a feeling that it's a site that pretends to be official but is charging for something you can do for free. 

I think there's a distinction between 'look alike' fake sites that are designed to make people think they are the official HMRC site, and sites that offer paid for services but don't pretend to be the official HMRC site. The former may be malicious phishing sites or plain scams whilst the latter may be poor value for money (depending on your needs)  but not malicious or illegal. I think this site falls into the latter category. It doesn't to me appear to be a fake or  'look alike' site pretending to be HMRC. Just my opinion 😀  That might make a difference to what the experts here think OP can do next.

HMRC is aggressive in going after 'look alike' fake sites, took down over 20,000 of them last year.  The site OP used appears to have been running for several years so it's a reasonable assumption that HMRC don't think it's a fake lookalike, or they'd have taken it down by now.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/record-number-of-fake-hmrc-websites-deactivated

Edited by Ethel Street

Thank you. I’ve rung up a 3rd time and asked to cancel and they did it within seconds. She didn’t mention any charges. So see what happens moving forwards with the money they want to try and charge me!

• 2 weeks later...

sure

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Nobody has had issues from ignoring it?

I mean they haven’t done anything apart from ask me questions which I actually rung them back, and open a self assessment with hmrc which they’re telling me to cancel.. 

dont want to end up having bailiffs round when I’ve just had a baby!

where have you got this idea bailiffs can just rock up at your door?

dx

and they

do you really think they will sue you and actually attend court to get an earwigging from a judge or is it more likely that being crooks they will just try and cajole you into paying them.

As they havent submitted anything yet adn cant without your permission I would fancy that the contract you have with them isnt crystallised yet so they legally cant demand you pay them anything.

A moan to Trading Standards about lookalike sites and misrepresentation may well get them off your back