• Tweets

• I have received a PCN from Euro Car Parks for MFG - Esso Cobham - Gravesend. I was completely unaware that there was any such limit for parking and always considered this to be a service station. I stopped there to use the toilet, have a coffee and made a couple of work calls. I have read the previous topics on this location which suggest I can ignore this and ECP will not take legal action. The one possible complication is that the vehicle is leased by my employer so I do not want to involve them with the associated reminders and threatening letters. The PCN was first issued to the leasing company Arval who have notified ECP of the hiring company. I have attached a copy of the PCN Notice to Hirer with details removed as per instructions. What options do I have or should I just pay the PCN promptly at the reduced rate of £60? img20240424_23142631.pdf
    • What you have uploaded is a letter with daft empty threats from third-party paper tigers.  Just ignore it. What we need to see is the original invoice you received last October or November.
    • Thanks for posting the CPR contents. i do wish you hadn't blanked out the dates and times since at times they can be relevant . Can you please repost including times and dates. They say that they sent a copy of  the original  PCN that they sent to the Hirer  along with your hire agreement documents. Did you receive them and if so can you please upload the original PCN without erasing dates and times. If they did include  all the paperwork they said, then that PCN is pretty near compliant except for their error with the discount time. In the Act it isn't actually specified but to offer a discount for 14 days from the OFFENCE is a joke. the offence occurred probably a couple of months prior to you receiving your Notice to Hirer.  Also the words in parentheses n the Act have been missed off. Section 14 [5][c] (c)warn the hirer that if, after the period of 21 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice to hirer is given, the amount of unpaid parking charges referred to in the notice to keeper under paragraph 8(2)(f) or 9(2)(f) (as the case may be) has not been paid in full, the creditor will (if any applicable requirements are met) have the right to recover from the hirer so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Though it states "if any applicable ...." as opposed to "if all applicable......" in Section 8 or 9. Maybe the Site could explain what the difference between the two terms mean if there is a difference. Also on your claim form they keeper referring to you as the driver or the keeper.  You are the Hirer and only the Hirer is responsible for the charge EVEN IF THEY WEREN'T THE DRIVER. So they cannot pursue the driver and nowhere in the Hirer section of the Act is the hirer ever named as the keeper so NPC are pursuing the wrong person.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Erudio/Shoosmiths Ordinary Cause - old student loan

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1532 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I received an inital writ served by Edinburgh Sheriff Court on behalf of Erudio.

This relates to old-stlye student loans taken between approx 1997 and 2003. 

I'm not sure what to do, if there is any point in lodging an intention to defend or if I should apply for time to pay.

Any advice at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

This is obviously my own fault as I missed the deferment deadline for the loans last year

(this last year has been a difficult time for me for personal reasons and I let a lot of things slide unfortunately).

I was a bit surprised to receive this writ as I spoke to Shoosmiths last week and they agreed to raise a complaint on my behalf with Erudio.

Erudio have confirmed they're investigating the complaint.

Shoosmiths said that they would stop any action on my account at that point while the complaint was investigated.

My income has never been above the threshold usually required for repayment of these student loans.

After Erudio wrote to me in January saying that they had terminated my loan agreement,

I sent them evidence of this and explained my reasons for missing the deferment deadline,

but they wouldn't consider reversing the termination without further evidence about my personal (not financial) circumstances which I couldn't supply at the time.

At the beginning of February I sent one of the old deferment forms to SLC with evidence of my income;

they wrote back saying they would assess my deferment claim,

but I found out last week that they didn't process it after all because my loans are handled by Erudio.

Details of the writ are as follows:

name the issuing court: Edinburgh Sheriff Court

Who Is The Claimant: Erudio Student Loans Limited

Who Are the Solicitors: Shoosmiths

What type of action? (Simple/Ordinary):

I gather this is an ordinary action as the amount is over £5k.

I'm a bit confused about this because the cover letter states 'If the words "commercial action" appear at the head of this initial writ then you should note that this action is a commercial action governed by Chapter 40 of the Ordinary Cause Rules 1993...'

but as far as I can see the writ isn't headed with the words "commercial action"

What is the claim for –

[Condescendence]

1. The parties are as designated in the instance. The defender resides at [address]. The defender has been so resident for more than three months immediately preceding the raising of this action. The defender is domiciled there. The Court accordingly has jurisdiction. There are no proceedings pending before any other Court involving the present cause of action and between the parties hereto. No agreement exists prorogating jurisdiction to another Court

2, The pursuers are a finance company which inter alia operates the business of debt purchasing. By virtue of a debt purchase agreement ['the Agreement'] the pursuers acquired the right to payment in respect of all debts and other monetary claims of any nature due or owing by the defender which were in existence as at the date the said Agreement was entered into and arose by virtue of the defender's contract with Student Loan Company as hereinafter condescended upon. A copy of the Agreement will be produced in any defended process to follow hereon.

3. The said contract between Student Loans Company and the defender is a credit agreement in terms of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 ('the Contract'). The total debit balance which has accrued under and in terms of the Contract amounts to [£amount] conform to copy statement of account which will be produced in any defended process to follow hereon. In terms of the Agreement the right to payment of the sums due in terms of the said statement of account was assigned to the pursuers. Said sum constitutes the sum sued for. The said assignation was intimated to the defender by way of a written notice.

4. The defender has failed to make payment of the sums due in terms of the said statement of account. He refuses to or at least delays in doing so. This action is accordingly necessary.

[Pleas in law]

1. The pursuers having acquired the right to payment of the sums due by the defender under and in terms of the Contract as hereinbefore condescended upon, the pursuers are entitled to payment of the sums due in sums thereof.

2. The sum sued for representing the debit balance due under the Contract, decree for the amount should be pronounced as craved.

The court stamp date is 19 July. The covering form (form 05) says that I have 21 days from 17 July to apply for a time to pay direction or a time order, or to defend the action.

I did look at this but got distracted.

how many loans did you have please?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

and have they lumped the total outstanding on all of those under one agreement number for this claim?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

oh dear.

that's not good for them

as if you look [most people still can get access to the online SLC portal]

that's not the total for that agreement 

have you read all the erudio SLC claimform threads in financial legal forums?

and they

and they

thanks dx100uk, will read through those tomorrow 👍

Hi dx, apologies

- I think that I was mistaken about the issue of the single agreement number...

when I answered your question previously I'd checked the last letter I received from Shoosmiths, which does indeed have a single 'Credit Agreement Number' as a reference... but now looking at older letters I see that this is the 'Customer Reference Number' used by Erudio in their correspondence.

So I don't think it has any link to the original SLC credit agreements

- it certainly doesn't look like any of the 'Loan Account Numbers' used by SLC.

I logged into the Student Loans portal at gov.uk, but there's not much to see there

- just a list of correspondence they sent me (deferral packs etc) up to 2013.

I'm still looking through relevant threads like you suggested, although there are a lot of them :).

Do you think I could defend the claim in a similar fashion to the member in the thread posted below?

If I understand it correctly (I'm far from being a lawyer so may be wrong) the defence is disputing that Erudio has the right to 'terminate' the original agreement? Thanks again, will keep reading the threads.

defence in post 15

they cant issue a claim using their ref number either.

as you've seen on those other threads.

cause they wont hold any signed paperwork.

so to be clear there are NO SLC agreement numbers in the text of the claim?

it would beneficial if you read and responded here to anything not already responded to or requested  in post 7 link.

ordinary action claims are not a walk in the park if you don't understand what you must do with the paperwork

defending against erudio will be the easy bit believe me!!

and they

Thanks dx. No, there's no reference number in the writ itself. 

Who are the pursuers:

Erudio Student Loans Limited, a company incorporated under the Companies Acts and having its registered office at c/o Wilmington Trust SP Services (London) Limited. Third Floor. 1 King's Arms Yard, London EC2R 7AF

Who Are the Solicitors:

Shoosmiths LLP

What is the writ for –

Preceding the Condescendence and Pleas In Law sections provided in post 1, there's the following text: The pursuers crave the Court to grant decree against the defender for payment to the pursuers of the sum of AMOUNT together with expenses

what date was this served on you:- 17th July

what date is within the COURT STAMP: 19th JUNE (not July as entered in post 1)

What Is the claim for: Student Loan

Is the debt showing on your credit reference files - I don't know but can find out

When did you enter into the original agreement before or after 2007? -  Before 2007;  first loan has a 1998 account number

Were you aware the account had been sold/assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? Yes I believe so

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? Not to my knowledge

Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Default sums” – at least once a year ? Yes

When was your last payment:-  I believe I made at least one payment in late 2015 after having been late in submitting deferment forms that year

Why did you cease payments:- I only made payments to cover a couple of months' payments which were due because of my deferment had been submitted late. I stopped once those payments had been covered

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved?  No

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan?  No

I've requested a credit report from Experian now, I should receive it by next week

• 2 weeks later...

due with the court and shoos by the 6th.

so start to understand HOW to fill out the form the correct way

and what to put where

if you look here

there are a couple of example replies 

I would be adding that you have NEVER held a SLC loan with the quoted number and that the claimant has to date failed your CCA request

pop yours up here over the next couple of days and we'll work on it.

and they

Thanks for your reply dx, and thanks for being on top of the deadlines!

Re the process that needs to be followed here, as I understand it I need to return Form O7 by the 6th (and copy it to Shoos). This form is a notice of intention to defend. I believe I then have a further 14 days to lodge my defence. Just going by the rules stated here:

http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/docs/default-source/rules-and-practice/rules-of-court/sheriff-court/ordinary-cause-rules/chapter-9---standard-procedure-in-defended-causes-(2).doc?sfvrsn=8

Form O7 references Rule 9.1 (1)  - 

Subject to rules 33.34 (notice of intention to defend and defences in family action), 33A.34 (notice of intention to defend and defences in civil partnership action) and 35.8 (lodging of notice of appearance in action of multiplepoinding), where the defender intends to-

(a) challenge the jurisdiction of the court,

(b) state a defence, or

(c) make a counterclaim,

he shall, before the expiry of the period of notice, lodge with the sheriff clerk a notice of intention to defend in Form O7 and, at the same time, send a copy to the pursuer.

Further on in that same document is Defences Rule 9.6, which includes - 

(1) Where a notice of intention to defend has been lodged, the defender shall (subject to paragraph (3)) lodge defences within 14 days after the expiry of the period of notice. 

(2) Subject to rule 19.1(3) (form of defences where counterclaim included), defences shall be in the form of answers in numbered paragraphs corresponding to the articles of the condescendence and shall have appended a note of the pleas-in-law of the defender.

I see that the second part corresponds to your notes elsewhere about the format the defence should take.

Between those two rules there's an explanation of how the sheriff will schedule an Options Hearing once form O7 has been submitted.

Do you know if it's likely/unlikely that such a hearing will actually take place if I do defend the action?

I guess it would be a good idea to submit the defences at the same time as Form O7 if that's going to make it less likely that the hearing will take place?

Re the defence itself, there's no loan number quoted on the actual writ I received, it just states that Erudio purchased the debts accrued "by virtue of [my] contract with SLC".

The "termination letter" Erudio sent me back in January did contain all my loan account numbers.

Does this affect your view on the potential 'agreement number' defence?

I haven't submitted a CCA request to Erudio (sorry if I missed that this was something I should do in my reading of the other threads), if I submit one tomorrow can I still use the fact they haven't responded to it in my defence?

Sorry about all the questions, thanks again for your help, I really am grateful

no those rules are not for civil consumer credit causes.

you file your defence on the form as per the guide here.

but first:

under defender on the writ have they written a figure or just AMount? 

can we clarify there is NO account or agreement number mentioned anywhere on the writ?

and they

is that figure the full amount over all your slc loans?

dx

and they

opps

like to see them produce the agreement for that then..

I can see this being left to die.

more later

and they

I sent off my CCA request to Erudio yesterday. I used their 16 digit reference number as the reference on the letter rather than the Student Loan numbers (hope this was the right thing to do). Here's my first attempt at my defences, which need to be lodged by Tuesday. Any and all feedback gratefully received, thanks in advance.

I've copied in the condescendence from the initial writ, and added my replies in red. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to address every single point made in the writ, in this initial attempt I've kept my answers short. The Pleas in Law are copied straight from dx's example.

1. The parties are as designated in the instance. The defender resides at [address]. The defender has been so resident for more than three months immediately preceding the raising of this action. The defender is domiciled there. The Court accordingly has jurisdiction. There are no proceedings pending before any other Court involving the present cause of action and between the parties hereto. No agreement exists prorogating jurisdiction to another Court

1. Admitted.

2, The pursuers are a finance company which inter alia operates the business of debt purchasing. By virtue of a debt purchase agreement ['the Agreement'] the pursuers acquired the right to payment in respect of all debts and other monetary claims of any nature due or owing by the defender which were in existence as at the date the said Agreement was entered into and arose by virtue of the defender's contract with Student Loans Company as hereinafter condescended upon. A copy of the Agreement will be produced in any defended process to follow hereon.

2. Not known and not admitted that the said agreement between Student Loans Company and the pursuers exists.

3. The said contract between Student Loans Company and the defender is a credit agreement in terms of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 ('the Contract'). The total debit balance which has accrued under and in terms of the Contract amounts to [£amount] conform to copy statement of account which will be produced in any defended process to follow hereon. In terms of the Agreement the right to payment of the sums due in terms of the said statement of account was assigned to the pursuers. Said sum constitutes the sum sued for. The said assignation was intimated to the defender by way of a written notice.

3. Not known and not admitted that the said contract between Student Loans Company and the defender exists. The defender made a request to the pursuers under s77 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 to which no response has been received.

Copy of letter attached as PROD01.

4. The defender has failed to make payment of the sums due in terms of the said statement of account. He refuses to or at least delays in doing so. This action is accordingly necessary.

4. Not known and not admitted that said sums are due. Not admitted that this action is necessary as the pursuer has to date failed to prove that said sums are due.

PLEAS IN LAW

The Defender craves that the court uses its powers under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and declare the documentation supplied by the Pursuers as unenforceable.

Accordingly, given the Pursuer’s averments are irrelevant et separatism lacking in specification, the action should be dismissed. The Defender denies the sums being claimed as due and the resting owing decree should not be granted as craved

Form O7

Form07.pdf

For the sake of completeness, Form O5 and the writ itself...

writ-compressed.pdf

Here are my defences, hopefully in the correct format for handing in to the court. So as I understand it I need to hand this in along with Form O7 and a copy of my CCA letter (marked 'PROD01').

Probably a dumb question but, in the guidance thread kindly linked above, there is the statement 'you should mark ‘INTIMATED’ on the backing of the defences' - does this mean that I have to write the word 'INTIMATED' on the back of each sheet of paper I submit? Thanks in advance!

Court Ref No. XXX-XXXX-XX 
DEFENCES 
in causa 
Erudio Student Loans Limited, a company incorporated 
under the Companies Act and having its registered office at 
c/o Wilmington Trust SP Services (London) Limited, Third 
Floor, 1 King’s Arms Yard, London EC2 7AF 
PURSUERS 
against 
[Me] 
[My Address] 
DEFENDER 
The pursuers crave the Court to grant decree against the defender for payment to the pursuers 
of the sum of [SUM] [£SUM] together with expenses. 
CONDESCENDENCE 
1. Admitted. 
2. Not known and not admitted that the said agreement between Student Loans Company 
and the Pursuers exists. 
3. Not known and not admitted that the said contract between Student Loans Company 
and the Defender exists. The Defender made a request to the Pursuers under s77 of the 
Consumer Credit Act 1974 to which no response has been received. Copy of letter 
attached as PROD01. 

4. Not known and not admitted that said sums are due. Not admitted that this action is 
necessary as the Pursuer has to date failed to prove that said sums are due. 

PLEAS IN LAW 
1. The Defender craves that the court uses its powers under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 
and declare the documentation supplied by the Pursuers as unenforceable. 

2. Accordingly, given the Pursuers’ averments are irrelevant et separatism lacking in 
specification, the action should be dismissed. The Defender denies the sums being 
claimed as due and the resting owing decree should not be granted as craved. 

Also... (possibly another dumb question!) am I supposed to sign and date the defences? Thanks again!

Court Ref No. XXX-XXXX-XX 
DEFENCES 
in causa 
Erudio Student Loans Limited, a company incorporated 
under the Companies Act and having its registered office at 
c/o Wilmington Trust SP Services (London) Limited, Third 
Floor, 1 King’s Arms Yard, London EC2 7AF 
PURSUERS 
against 
[Me] 
[My Address] 
DEFENDER 
The pursuers crave the Court to grant decree against the defender for payment to the pursuers 
of the sum of [SUM] [£SUM] together with expenses. 
CONDESCENDENCE 
1. Admitted. 
2. Not known and not admitted that any agreement for the sum claimed ever existed between the defendant and the Student Loans Company subsequentually sold to the Pursuers. 
3. Not known and not admitted that the said agreement between Student Loans Company and the Defender exists. The Defender made a request to the Pursuers under s77 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 to clarify the matter, to which no response has to date been received. Copy of letter ...attached as PROD01. 

4. Not known and not admitted that the defender owes said sum. The Defender has in the past had dealings with the student Loan company but has never exceeded the published threshold required to ever begin repayment nor has ever received such notification.

PLEAS IN LAW 
1. The Defender craves that the court uses its powers under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and the Student Loan regulations to declare the claim null and void.

2. Accordingly, given the Pursuers’ averments are irrelevant and lacking in 
specification, the action should be dismissed. The Defender denies the sums being 
claimed as due and the resting owing decree should not be granted as craved. 

musings as to date...……...

and they

thanks very much for your reply dx. I've had another bash at the defences, incorporating your feedback. Here's the latest version:

1. Admitted.

2. Not known and not admitted that the said agreement for the sum claimed between Student Loans Company and the Pursuers exists.

3. Not known and not admitted that the said contract between Student Loans Company and the defender for the sum claimed exists. The defender made a request to the Pursuers under s77 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 to clarify the matter, to which no response has to date been received.

Copy of letter attached as PROD01.

4. Not known and not admitted that the Defender owes said sum. The Defender has in the past had dealings with the Student Loans Company but his income has never exceeded the published threshold required to begin repayment of his student loans, nor has he ever received any notification to the contrary.

Pleas In Law

1. The Defender craves that the court uses its powers under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and the Student Loan regulations to declare the claim null and void.

2. Accordingly, given the Pursuers’ averments are irrelevant and lacking in specification, the action should be dismissed. The Defender denies the sums being claimed as due and the resting owing decree should not be granted as craved.

Must admit I'm starting to worry whether I'm doing the right thing now that the deadline for responding to the writ is approaching (it's tomorrow).

What if Erudio produce evidence of their agreement with SLC, and the total debit balance of all loans, according to that agreement, is as stated in the writ?

What if they can produce the original credit agreements?

Will I be in a worse place than if I'd decided to apply for time to pay?

Sorry if I'm being a little negative, just nervous :)

Thanks again.

dont write as a third part, ...put it back to what I have [updated] on my ideas

you are missing the point.

there is no signed agreement by you for the claimed figure.

and they cant produce one

producing all the loans is of no real relevance.

as for the notice of assignment of your loans account from SLC to erudio, thats irrelevant as such because assignation under Scottish law doesn't exist, it's given that it happened. and anyway you are not disputing you have had dealing with SLC.

your over-riding principle here is one of  'do you owe them the claimed money' 

no you don't-  when all is said and done because you don't and have never earned over the threshold.

as with all erudio claims here or in E&W I suspect this will be allowed to die.

you only 'complication' is because the sum claimed exceeds £5k its had to go down the Ordinary cause route, which is somewhat finicky in Scottish law, 

don't forget to sign and date

turn over the last page and write the intimation on the back.

are you going in person to the clerks office?

and they

Thanks for your reply dx, I've really been stressing about this. I guess when all's said and done I have nothing to lose other than the potential extra legal costs - if I admit the debt or lose the case, either way it's a court decree against me... so might as well have a go. And your confidence in the defence is certainly reassuring!

So I should change 2 back to :

2. Not known and not admitted that any agreement for the sum claimed ever existed between Student Loans Company subsequentually sold to the Pursuers.

But everything else is fine? I need to sign and date the defences and write the intimation on the back.

Yes, I'll be going in person to the clerk's office. Would it be acceptable to post the defences to Shoos tomorrow do you think? If not I can deliver in person I guess (they're not that far from the court).

but his income

no its not fine

you've written it as a third person

use post 24 now

as for intimation to shooes

you only have to put you've done it not how

post is ok

Edinburgh clerks are usually well ok

get them to check it over for you.

and they