BankFodder BankFodder

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 184 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I bought a used Focus (6 years old) a year and a half ago from a well known car dealer. It broke down this week and have I been told I will need to buy a new engine. Apparently this fault is a well known one on my particular model. A new engine will cost me £2,000 upwards and the mechanic said even with a new engine the fault may return as it's a well known manufacturers fault. I looked into contacting Ford who have accepted repair claims for this fault but the car would need a full service history (which it does not). I have contacted the dealership I've bought it off and kept getting avoided by the manager,when I finally got hold of him he's basically washed his hands of the car and was rude down the phone. I bought the car with finance that was arranged by the dealership and have 3.5 years left to pay.

What are my options? (If any). I can't afford a new engine and don't want to replace it with the risk of it happening again. Can I take this further with the dealership or contact the fiance company directly ? If I effectively stop making payments and the repossess the car its worthless.  I know I'm probably going to take a huge loss on the car (I currently have around £7000 left on finance). Could i sell it? scrap it? I don't want to keep paying for a damaged car I can't drive. Any help is appreciated

The dealer won't give you anything because you had the car for 18 months and he's right.

Would be almost impossible to prove that the fault was present at point of sale unfortunately. 

If it's a known ford problem,  is there a recall?

If not, have you got any evidence of ford replacing the engine under warranty?

Remember,  a bloke on the internet saying something is not a good piece of evidence. 

Others will comment about the finance part of this case, maybe the finance company might have to swallow the loss or part of it, but i don't know this, not my field. 

What mileage was on the car when you bought it and what’s on it now. Have you had it serviced by a main dealer in the 18 months

It was serviced when I bought it. It has 55,000 miles on it and from memory around 40,000 when I bought it. Mechanic who has dealt with it has said even with services the fault would not have been picked up. There hasn't been a recall on the vehicle but Ford has been replacing engines when they have been breaking down but I have read this is a very long and lengthy process. if the car is used as capital and has effectively lost that would the finance company take the loss?