• Tweets

• hi   Thank you for your reply.   nice link . thank you very much.   I know I will get my refund. it has been offered. I have been told I am right about the situation. It does seem like this is in debate but this was clarified a long time ago.   Do you think I would be wasting my time to try and stop it happening to others?   I just would not want this happing to anyone else.   Thank you again                
    • Just ask for the refund you appear to be entitled to.  They'll either pay it or they'll explain to you why they won't.  Forget everything else.   Or you could try here:  https://www.railforums.co.uk/forums/disputes-prosecutions.152/
    • you stated :   "I would expect revenue officers are quite aware of the time of day they are manning barriers. i'd also go as far as to say they don't bother to do this in off peak times... as there would be little point, no loss of revenue to protect".     They were there when I should have had an off peak option, they did not give it me!! I asked for the lower fare. they refused!! And threatened a fine!! ( i did not know the jargon , that is true)  but "lower fare option "  should be o.k for them to understand.   When I say, to the effect, that there was a lower fare option listed on your computer before I left the station  Please can I have that as this higher fare seems far too much. Is there another option?   No.   I had full fare or a hefty fine options only.   you stated:   "your intended return was off-peak, but you didn't tell them.."   I asked for the lower fare, they refused. repeatedly. They had the option to charge the low fare but absolutely refused and threaten a fine.   I do not have to know any jargon.  I just said it was too much and there was a lower option before i departed and  why can't I have that? They said no and that I had to pay the high fare.   Which is untrue. They should have said that was o.k and gave any restrictions on the ticket!   you stated "this thread is getting boring and repetitive. "   You could help me and the many others  who may read this) who would like advice and offer suggestions of things to ask or mention with the complaint.   What would you say? How can I stop this from happening to others?   I have been told I was right by the staff at the station. So I know I am in the right.   Please can you be a bit more friendly and helpful?  Come on, lets try and do some good here.   I was hoping people might suggest some ideas.   Perhaps we can move onto the questions I should ask or things I should state regards my complaint. with time running out?  If not for me,  for other travellers, who will be going through this same ordeal if we do not help them.   kind regards.          
    • yes because 1000's of people believe a DCA is a bailiff and they are not and that penalty charges are lawful, they are not, so blindly cough up...   worth a few letters / free emails to try it on pays for the staff drinks down the pub that night with free money.   dx  
    • they have already 'outsourced' it ..........to a dca [crs - well that's harlands anyway] watchout for Zinc next.. but don't look at the bottom of the letter as you'll see its the same address again...}   forget about it go enjoy your life.    
  • Our picks

Halpert87

31 overwhelmed with debt and scared

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on here and I am trying to hold back the tears as I type.

Ok to give you a brief outline of my current situation

I am 31 year old woman with no close relatives.

I am currently in so much debt and I am overwhelmed I am struggling to even be able to give an exact figure at this moment in time and I would struggle to list all the companies and banks that I owe money too. (I will of course get these listed shortly).

I would imagine a best case scenario of being about 16k in debt and I'm struggling to reach the minimum payments each month.

Of those payments I can make I think I am only hitting the interest and not the actual debt.

I don't have anyone I can turned to for advice and a friend of mine said that this forum is the best and that you guys would be able to help me get my finances in order and help me to figure out the best way of getting my debt down to a manageable level.

I have looked at IVA's (I think that's what it is called) before but I wasn't sure if that would affect me later on if I wanted to move house with the rental check?

Please can you tell me what I need to do first and help me?

Please excuse my lack of organisation and knowledge on this matter and please please can you help me.

I am so scared and worried and I feel so over whelmed by it all. I just don't know what to do.

Thank you so much x

Hiya - Welcome to CAG...

You should be really scared about being in debt... All those collection letters and scary Collection Agencies (DCAs) who will come and take all your personal belongings...

They will take your house, car, even your dog... You should be really scared... -SARCASM- :)

Okay thats enough FKO - But seriously... You've come to the right place and please dont be worried. These companies are toothless. You are just a figure on a paper to them.

Going down the IVA route is insolvency.. My partner almost pulled the trigger months ago and I stopped her from doing it because it isn't the right way. 

List your debts, how much, and whats currently going on with each one... 

We have a good team and I most certainly will advise where I can.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so so so so much. I will get onto this immediately.

you need the companies and the amounts? and the rates? Is there anything else I should include? x

Yup, you may well find out that many of these debts are unenforceable, and no longer need to worry about them, and an IVA may well be unnecessary.

I was nearly in nearly 3 times as much debt as you, and only ended up paying back a few thousand.  If I'd have paid full attention to everything here, that amount would have been zero.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Andyorch I currently rent my house.

@London1971 Oh wow! Really? That's interesting. I hope there is a way to help me get this down too.

I'll post all my debts on here today. Thank you for taking the time to help me, I appreciate it so much and it is helping me more than you'll realise to have people to talk to about this

When you list your debts, can you include  the approximate month/year you took out the account or loan.  Also when the accounts were defaulted, if you have received a default notice and could not pay the amount on the default notice.

If you have Government debts such as Council Tax, please state the current position. 

Are you currently working ? Do you claim any benefits  ? If you are on low income, have you applied for any help. It would be Universal Credit now and not  Council Housing Benefits, unless you have any existing Housing Benefit claim.

• Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Ok, so I have sat down and done the sums and to say I was a little out on my original debt assessment would be an understatement. The figure I owe is actually ALOT more than I anticipated. Here is the breakdown:

MBNA Credit Card - £3,833.61
Barclay Credit Card - £9,914.02
Natwest Over Draft - £2,241.51
Paypal Credit - £2005.88
Littlewoods - £1287.33
Next - £603.98
Other (This is what I owe a friend of mine who helped me, they said they're not urgently needing this money back and to sort out the rest first but I feel a massive sense of need to repay them) - £7,000.00

Total of Company Debts- £19,886.33
Total Debt with extra money I owe friend - £26,886.33

Thank you in advance for any help and advice. This figure has been very overwhelming and is a massive wake up call for me.

well ignore PP credit nothing they can do to you.

you indicate you are paying all the above debts?

any of these being paid to a powerless DCA or are all your debts still owned by the original creditors and you've not received a notice of assignment/sale?

• Thanks 1

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

Hi @dx100uk

Thank you for your message :) 

Sorry to sound a little dumb but is PP Paypal?

I am making minimum payments on all the debts I have (I have missed a few due dates and incurred a few £12 charges) but I am trying my best to pay them all on time.

I believe I am only hitting the interest though and not really making any dent into the actual debt.

At the moment I am still making all the payments to the original companies and none have been taken over by a debt collection agency.

Thank you so much for all this help x

yes pp is paypal.

if you go look in the debt collection section of the library

you'll see a pro rata letter

send that to everyone.

they MUST help you by freezing interest and refraining from penalty fees [which are all unlawful and reclaimable along with any other fixed sum penaly fees like letter/phone/debt management etc, you might have been ever been charged]

if any refuse, then send the failed pro rata letter.

if you state you are going to make a £x PCM payment then do so until/unless they refuse your offer/fail to freeze int/charges. do not await acceptance

this will show your goodwill.

• Like 1

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

spreadsheets 

Posted (edited)

Ok, So should I send that to PP aswell or should I just ignore them?

Will sending the pro rata letter to all of the companies lead to my credit score lowering?

Will I be black listed from any companies?

Thank you so much, this not only helps but also relaxes me as I have been unable to sleep or eat through the stress of this debt x

@dx100uk is this the template I need: 

Edited by Halpert87

yes

blacklisted ??

you need to get upto speed thats an old wives tale

but yes ofcourse it will effect your credit worthiness but I suspect that's the least of your worries

but certainly consumer credit debt is nothing to lose sleep over!

there a credit file guide 

• Thanks 1

spreadsheets 

There's pretty much stuff all any of those debts can do to you, if you don't own a home, apart from sell them to a DCA. As for renting another house, when you move, I went down the guarantor route for several years, when I needed to move and never had any trouble.  There really is no need to worry at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

I was in a bad situation nearly 2 years ago,

I had loads of debts and probably racked up about 18-20k,

didn’t know where to turn too

I ended up going down the Iva route etc and I am now in a protected trust deed for 2 years with 2 more to go and it has reduced my monthly bills by a big margin

my repayments to them aren’t extreme

I still have enough money left over each month,

after the 4 years are over then the rest of the debt gets cleared but will wait till the deadline and see what happens from there,

I know it’s not the best option to choose but I live in rented accommodation so I have no issues of anything being taken away etc and have never had anyone come to my door etc, hopefully you find a solution and things start getting easier for you x

• Thanks 2

Here are my statistics

Link Financial 10k

Coop Loan 3K

NAT West OD 1k

HSBC Loan 5K

HSBC Credit Card 8K

Numerous old Utility Bills

All of the above  I ignored, and are statute barred years ago and off my Credit File. No IVA, No DMP, NO repayments. Not one penny. Nobody ever came to visit.

That is why IVA's are such a bad idea for consumer debt, it's literally throwing money away.

Ok but some of us don’t know that and I was in too much worry not to do something about it and couldn’t chance the luck so hopefully everything works out but thanks for the input.

Oh I agree, but it should be the law that independent advice must be given before entering into an IVA, so that people who are feeling that worry, can't be taken advantage of.

Ok no problem, I’m halfway through mine now so no going back just going to wait it out and see what happens.

Wow! There is so much information to take in and so many different ways to deal with it. I guess being in the situation I am in with no family, no inheritance coming to me ever, I just want to get myself to a place where I am financially stable and have no chance of losing my home and becoming homeless. This is a big fear of mine.

@dx100uk My father used to tell me he was blacklisted from different places and I always thought it was a real thing, so embarrassing oops 🙈🙈. Thank you for the link to the the CRA file, I've downloaded it now and having a read through. This whole situation has definitely made me realise how much I have to learn about my financial situation.

@London1971 & @Kegimus Thank you both for your advice. I am very confused about the IVA issue. I have been thinking about it for sometime now and have heard many conflicting stories.

What should my next move be?

Should I contact my creditors and find out when the accounts were open?

Or should I just send of the Pro Rata letters to them all?

Do you guys need to see my incomings and outgoings?

Or is that irrelevant at this point?

I would continue to get advice from the other two people and not me as I have no expertise on it just wanted to let you know my story and where I’m at now :)

Listen to @dx100uk

Do as he says in the earlier posts, with the Pro Rata letters

Nobody on this site has an agenda other than to help.  Any one running an IVA, DMP or whatever, wants to make money from you.

@Kegimus Thank you and I am glad you're in a much better place financially now :) hopefully I will be there soon too.

@London1971 Thank you so much for your advice. I will make a start with the Pro Rata letters immediately and see where that takes me.

I will keep you updated and if there is anything else I should know or do please let me know and I will make sure it's done ❤️ x