HMRC TAX CREDIT LETTER

Mummy20162019
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1570 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had a letter asking if I know a certain mr which is my children’s father and asked to sent them al kinds of documents too!

I also have a newborn to the same father as my first child

yes he sometimes has been staying at the property too to help child care when I’ve been working or away, BUT different rooms.

He has always paid every bill and mortgage on the property and my bank statements only show the child care payments for nursery and things like my phone bill and the car insurance which the car is in his name but we agreed I would keep it as I have the two children, him paying the bills is his way of “providing” for them which we also agreed.

He has since moved back in full time since having our new born in June and I’m worried sick about it all too? 

hmrc are asking about my tax credits and my claim as a single person due to having links of my children’s father traced at this address.

They want bank statements and mortgage utility bills etc from me however he pays for all these as a way of providing for his children.

We have since had a newborn in June so he is living at the property but this is about apr18-apr 19

what should I do I’m worried sick!

Hi.

Well, you're going to have to tell them the truth. Tax credits are usually OK to deal with and can adjust future payments to offset any overpayments to you.

What financial links do you think they've traced to your address?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Yup, zero to worry about, just tell them the truth.  They will let you know whether or not you need to pay them back or not. The money will be taken off your future payments, a pretty small amount each month.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I’m so worried though as partner is actually living at address and prettt much everything is registered here as we bought it together only thing that’s linked to his parents is his doctors things really, but how I don’t know what to say I don’t want to say the wrong thing as I think we should be claiming as a joint claim now since we got back together early April due to having a baby in June again

I think I need to

I just feel if I phone they will still ask me to send the info and would not know where to start with it,

I know I’ve made error and will have to deal with consequences but I haven’t even told my partner the children’s father this he is going to go crazy!

It’s literally ruining my day to day life and it’s a case of them taking my word for what I say as I cannot prove he wasn’t living here when matter of fact he has been for most the time but because we’ve been on and off I’ve never known if we’re coming or going hence claiming tax credits despite him living here a lot over the 2018-2019 period

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Should I just phone and tell the truth long story short throughout the year when we argued he always threatened to leave and me knowing I couldn’t run the house on my own,

bills childcare and only working part time decided to take making the claim upon myself last year and always kept it running but he did always stay around every time he never actually left permanent or lived anywhere else,

giving his mums home address is just adding them into the mix and don’t want to involve them OR my partner if I don’t have to...

If he has been staying with you, AND is father to your child/children, it's only fair that it was taken as a joint claim.

I am not an expert in these matters, but your single claim would mean that you were receiving amuch higher sum than if it had been a joint claim.

I would recommend being completely honest with the HMRC, not just because it will be easier, but also because it would be fair to the millions of couples who actually take the trouble to give precise info to the HMRC.

Edit: Since you're actually receiving tax credits, overpayment would be clawed back from your future payments, which may be more a more manageable situation than going to court.

Sorry if that sounds judgmental...not intended.

• 1 month later...

Hi I have received a letter saying I owe £7.5k over payment for tax credits I have supposedly incorrectly received!

They sent a letter prior to this asking if I knew a certain male which is my children’s father.

He did not live at the property nor were we a couple at the time of my single claim, he would stay the odd time in the spare room for childcare matters, but this is all.

Ofherwise stayed at a friends but continued to pay bills at my house etc for the sake of that been his way providing for our child instead of going through csa etc.

How can they prove he is living here just because he has most things addressed to here however his doctors and possible work pension is at his mothers house where he has lived previous?

I am on maternity leave so how they expect me to repay I do not know!

He does not live here I am single and therefore right to claim as a single claim!

Any advise what step I could take next to get them to re look into it?

Hi there,

he is their father and only stayed in the spare room at the time to look after our daughter if I needed him too... but how can I prove that’s all it was and no relationship?

He has since moved back in end of June to make another go of things with just having a new born and now received a letter saying I owe 7.5k, I was claiming single as I was single and have been up until June this year,

had he lived here 24/7 and been in a civil relationship with him then fair enough I would of made the change to the claim,

their word against mine I know but they can’t prove he lived here (yes by addresses been linked to mine but no other way) 

You might want to call them and ask them to find out why.  Just because you owe them the money doesn't mean that you aren't entitled to payments.  It could be something really simple to get them going again, and of course that means that they will take a small amount each month off your payment to cover the debt.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I may have to, I’m now on maternity leave and my income is just over £600 with family allowance too. There’s no way I can afford to pay it back anytime soon. They said they had info my children’s father lives here, all because he hasn’t changed his addresses to anywhere else and I mentioned he pays a lot of the bills and mortgage as it’s his way of providing for the kids, I don’t get how they can just make that dexision for me and throw the overpayment in there too, it’s not like I can have it deducted off future tax credits, i just don’t know what to say or how to approach it and pretty worried really it’s a lot of money which I claimed been correctly entitled to. And all that triggers so ir was info on my children’s father living here 

Er, yes you can have it taken of future payments. Ring them Monday, and ask them what you need to do in order to get payments up and running. They might even owe you back payments too.

There basically saying I am no longer allowed the tax credits? And want every penny back paid since April 2018 as they have info my kids dad lived/ lives here and feel I don’t have a leg to stand on? His doctors is registered to his parents and I think his work info or some of it (pension) is linked to his parents too. I feel like they will just say unless I can prove he wasn’t living here (as he was and still is on mortgage and pays it) then I have to repay 

Do you have a letter explaining that you are no longer entitled to tax credits?

I mean in those words

Ok so it isn't saying that you cannot have them restarted.  They haven't written to tell you this because they are completely cr'@p.

If you ring them on Monday morning it will be a better than 50% chance that you just need to confirm your new situation.  I know this because of my own experience.

The 7.5 k demand has only been triggered because your award has stopped. If you can get it restarted you have nothing to worry about, because it will deduct from the payment.

By confirming new situation do you mean relationship wise or maternity leave? Any advice you have is much appreciated I definitely need to make the call. They aren’t really backing themselves up I just don’t know how I can continue ro claim since my children’s father moved back in June this year to make a go of things when I. Had our second baby on the 11th of the month 

Both. But just call and ask why the payments have stopped first.If your income is 600 pounds, likely you are still entitled to them, and can get them restarted.  Likely they will ask if he is living with you, just tell them the truth, and what he is earning etc.

If it turns out you won't get them, it's not the end of the world, just let us know here and can take you through the appeal process etc.

Brilliant thank you, his income is quite high so I think it may rule them all out of been restarted. I just don’t want them to question me to prove he didn’t live here from apr18/ to apr 19 as I cannot without them coming to physically be in the house and see his not here! So frustrating all because his stuff is all addressed here and he pays for stuff bills wise etc as he chose to do this to support the kids instead of csa etc. Hope I get someone half decent Monday morning and knows what’s what! I honestly don’t know where to begin with it all the letter is a dark cloud over me at the moment, will keep this posted come Monday thanks again