Shared Accommodation - People moving in and out

Foebane72
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1742 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been at the same address for over 13 years, which is shared accommodation run by a private landlord. There is a rented bedsit each for the tenants, and the landlord lives at the same address, in his own room. The tenants are not related to each other, but they move in and out on a regular basis as the years go by, and I have known about two dozen people doing this. The kitchen and bathroom are shared by all.

The problem I've got now is that I have neglected to tell the DWP about the people moving in and out, and their incomes. I don't know anything about their incomes, nor did I want to ask. I was told a long time ago that I didn't need to relay such information, but otherwise I would've been filling out Change of Circumstance forms on a regular basis.

Am I in trouble? Or am I misinterpreting the Change of Circumstance clauses known as:

• changes to the benefits you or anyone else in your house gets
  • people moving into or out of your house (for example your partner, a child or lodger)

Would I really have to repay any excess amounts? Why does it matter what incomes and number of people there is?

I'm no expert, but my initial though on this is that it's not your house but the landlord's and that you're all his lodgers. I expect other people will comment, but I would say it isn't your problem.

Can you link us to where you found what you've quoted please?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Yes you are misreading this.

You simply rent a room in a shared property and the other people living at the property are none of your business.

If you moved to say a flat which you shared with a partner, that is when you need to inform benefits.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

1 hour ago, honeybee13 said:

I'm no expert, but my initial though on this is that it's not your house but the landlord's and that you're all his lodgers. I expect other people will comment, but I would say it isn't your problem.

Can you link us to where you found what you've quoted please?

HB

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefits-change-circumstances

Thanks for the clarification, everyone. A HMO does sound much more like where I am at, and thank for the link, Ethel!

I can't believe I've been using the wrong term for so many years!