PACE Credit Control, t/a Mercantile. court claim threat over cancelled event room hire

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1719 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.  I don't know if anybody can help but was wondering if any of you had heard anything about this firm from Liverpool or had any dealings with them.

There is an alleged outstanding debt we had with a golf club from 4 years ago. 

A family member arranged to throw a surprise birthday party for a couple of people but when one of them found out he made a fuss so the event was cancelled. 

£445 was paid as a deposit which was not refunded and which was the cost of the room hire. 

An amount of £696 was outstanding for food but the event was cancelled several weeks before and we do not have any copy of terms and conditions.

This was forgotten about since they had taken the hefty deposit, until this week. 

Mercantile Legal & Commercial Services are threatening a claim through court if we don't settle within 7 days or provide reason as to why we believe the money isn't owed.

We have no proof or paperwork anymore, and thinking about it £445 for the room is adequate compensation we believe considering they were providing nothing else. 

The food wasn't even discussed in detail - it was just a buffet at £9 a head.

So the ball is in our court to either dispute the claim - presumably with some evidence - or be prepared to be taken to small claims court. 

That's what they say in their letter.  They also state that all payments should be in favour of Mercantile.

If we dispute the claim on the basis above then we are admitting to it sort of, and if we don't they've already stated they will see that as an admission and go to court.

Please help, any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Read the letters properly

They don't say will anything

Only the venue owner can issue a claim form not MC

A DCA or their fake/tame solicitors are NOT bailiffs

And have no such legal powers

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

thanks DX but the exact wording on their letter is:

"We act on behalf of the above named to whom you are indebted in the sum of £696.50 being the balance outstanding on invoice number 11030 copy enclosed.

Unless we receive your remittance for such sum within 7 days of the date of this letter, payment to be made in favour of ourselves, we will have no alternative but to issue immediate court proceedings for recovery of the debt, which will render you liable to costs and interest at a rate of 8% per annum.

If you have any legitimate dispute or reason for non-payment you should provide us with the relevant details within the next 7 days, failing which we will assume that there is no dispute or reason for non-payment and in default of payment will issue court proceedings against you as mentioned above without further notice."

It was signed for and on behalf of PACE Credit Control, t/a Mercantile Legal & Commercial Services.

The name PACE rings a bell with me - I'm trying to remember if they took us to court a couple of years ago for a parking charge vis Gladstone Brooks.

But as you can see there is lots of 'we will' used in letter.  thanks for your time.

you are mixing lots of names up here in confusion.

Gladstone who act as solicitors for many PCN private parking speculative invoice issuers are not Gladstone brooks , the PPI reclaim lot.

We act on behalf of the above named

who is?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The above named is the golf club in the subject header

The letter was signed for and on behalf of PACE Credit Control, t/a Mercantile Legal & Commercial Services.

they'd have to issue a PAP letter of claim first from a solicitor whos client is the golf club.

and they

IMHO quite ok to

the must abide by PAP or can be sanctioned.

go read it

as it stands that's just an old style threat-o-gram

which is about right for mercantile as they were always a bunch of numpties

never could get things right.

and they

worthy to note

neither company appear to be active nor registered on the FCA register

http://fca-consumer-credit-interim.force.com/CS_RegisterSearchPageNew

if so very safe to ignore them....:bowl:

and they

PACE wont want go to court, they have tried that before and got seriously spanked  for pursuing debts that werent theirs.

This doesnt mean that they are being clever, they probably havent learnt their lesson but that doesnt mean that you need to respond to this letter though.

for the debt itself, you cnat be billed for food that wasnt purchased and then supplied, it isnt like a venue hire where they could have made money from someone else if they knew you werent turning up.

The burden of proof will be upon them to prove that a loss has been caused  and that wont be possible as no-one shells out £600 on food they know is going in the bin on the hope of suing for it some time later.

Even the venue hire money may be returnable if they managed to rent the place out subsequently.

Obviously they are never going to admit this but a cancellation clause is to put them back to square one, not make them a profit for doing nothing

Thanks Ericsbrother, that's useful to know.  I find it odd that a posh golf club would still be pursuing this four years later when they've had £450 for the room anyway.  Seems an odd 'debt' to chase after all these years.  

Oh, and we got chaser letter today from Mercantile this time threatening all sort of awful things if we didn't pay up, along the lines of if our client wins in court they can arrange for your goods to be removed, and this is your last chance to pay and you leave us no alternative but to advise our client to proceed with court action......

Can't remember the exact wording, letter's been put away somewhere, but it seemed inappropriate.  I will just wait and see where this goes.  Thanks for the help and advice.

not saying will anything.

and they

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

We got another letter today, this time threatening to attend our property etc - I will attach a copy 

I won't answer the door, there's going to be two of them, and I will have young kids here - don't know what to do and feel threatened by this now.  I will be scared to go near my front door or leave the house etc......

Help, what should I do?

thanks

IMG_9355.JPG

all dca's are legally powerless and are not bailiffs

if they do appear

film them

don't engage

simply tell them to leave your property and not to return else you'll call police 101.

dx

and they

http://fca-consumer-credit-interim.force.com/CS_RegisterSearchPageNew

Interim Permission Consumer Credit Register

Navigation links

Click on the links below for further information about the firm or contact us for more information

Basic Details
Names
Permissions
Disciplinary History
Waivers

Permissions

Firm name:   Pace Credit Control Ltd
Interim Permissions reference number:   553623

Permission
Description
Status
Limitation Against Permission
Permission End Date
Debt collecting Debt collecting Inactive   27/01/2016
No right to canvass off trade premises

search them above 

you'll see that they trade under PACE whom are INACTIVE and have

No right to canvass off trade premises

even if they were active.

pers id be calling the police regardless and getting on to the FCA in morning.

and they

Thanks DX useful to know.  Two men is a bit mob handed though, so I will perhaps go out for the day or something.  But if I bump into them I will not engage, just hope the kids don't see them - you know what kids are like, can't resist being 'helpful'.

These lot don't sound very nice to be honest.  Seems like they don't care what tactics they use.

report their threats.

dx

and they

If they have given a time invite the police to attend to prevent a breach of the peace as the person is bisbarred from attending anyones property and you dont want to have him accuse you of assault when you chuck him off site.

If they pitch up just call the police and say that 2 men are trying to break into your next door neighbours house and give them a description of them and their car.

We do not advocate taking the above action :nono:..do not mislead or waste Police time....its a criminal offence

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Oh dear. 

Mercantile have spooked my daughter as the alleged debt is in her name, with their letters etc. 

Today they texted her

she called them, explained the events etc and said she was willing to go to court as she felt there should not be anything to pay.

She told me they were very polite etc and asked her to put everything in writing to them. 

They mentioned something to her in the text about their not needing registration etc as the debt wasn't covered by the consumer credit act as there was no signed credit agreement.

Help, what should I advise her to do now?

ps: i already told her not to talk to them etc and that I was getting advice on here, but it must have gone in one ear and out the other

wont hurt ignore them

block phone numbers and bounce their text as spam.

and they