Possible fraudulent insurance claim

jenksy61
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1707 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Looking for a bit of advice on an possible malicious or fraudulent claim.

I received a letter today from my insurance company regarding an alleged incident three months ago and stating I had five days to respond or my no claims bonus could be affected if they settled the claim. It gave a date and postal code for the incident.

I rung the insurance company and said I had not been involved in an incident on the day in question and was not even in the area. I am absolutely clear on this although the area is only about 15 miles from my home, it was Easter Monday and I know exactly where I was that day. I asked about the incident and was told that my vehicle had reversed into another car outside a shop. There are no shops in the area, it is purely rural farmland (so no CCTV obviously).

The insurance company said they would note my response and send to the claimants insurance company but would need to send an assessor out to take photos of my vehicle for any damage. My vehicle has no damage to the rear but does have a dent to the door from a collision with a deer that I have never done anything about.

My questions are ;

How did the claimant obtain my insurance details ?

Does my insurer have to provide me with details of who the claimant is ?

Could the dented door cause a problem because I didn't report it ? It is very obvious it is not damage from reversing into someone else.

If I had been away on holiday and hadn't responded, would this claim just have been paid without me knowing about it resulting in loss of NCB ?

Suggest that you also send a letter to your Insurance company as well.

A third party can simply enter a registration into the Askmid system to find Insurance details.  

But mistakes can be made, Enter one letter wrongly and the wrong Insurers receive the claim. If the make of the car was for example a Ford Focus, it is possible a local dealer sold several with very similar registration plates. So even the mistake is not always found by asking the third party to confirm make/model of the car which caused the damage.

Your Insurance company would not advise you of the third party details, due to data protection. They might provide a registration number and advise the third parties Insurance company details. This would give you opportunity of contacting the third parties Insurers to advise of the error that appears to have happened.

Dented door not a problem. Looking for damage that relates to the alleged accident event.

Yes if you were not contactable, the Insurers may have paid the claim. But you could still have made a complaint or took other actions to resolve the matter.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread