sparkeyrjp

Kennel cancelled booking for dog

I think I know the answer , but

We booked our dog into boarding kennels for our holiday , starting Tuesday 16

Unfortunately about 2 weeks ago the dog picked up a parasite called giardia .this causes soft stools etc .

The vet gave us the treatment and said the dog “should “ be ok in time for the boarding .A side effect of the treatment is that the dog has still has soft stools , similar the those when the parasite is present

We messaged the kennel Friday , explaining the situation , also topping up the final payment , It appears the kennel did not receive the message , so we spoke yesterday ( Monday ) They were unsure as to whether the dog should be accepted . over night they massaged us and cancelled the booking , we do have a plan “B” this involves our daughter moving  back home for a week .

Their T&Cs are quite tight , regarding cancelation by the client , But in this case they cancelled , have I got a hope of getting a refund , less , say , a admin charge , over £300 fees have been paid for 10 days boarding

We do have "Pet Plan" Insurance

Extract from T&Cs

“You agree that if you do not arrive on the start date of your booking, you will be liable for the full payment per day. You agree that should you return from holiday early and

decide to collect your dog before the end of your booking, you will not be entitled to any refund of payment. In the unlikely event of illness or other circumstances resulting in a

reduced stay with us, the total booking fee is still due and you will not be entitled to a refund or part refund. You agree that if you cancel giving less than 14 days notice the total

fee is due. You agree that if you cancel your booking you will lose your full deposit. If you bring less dogs than are booked, you are still responsible for the balance due. “

What does the Petplan policy say about cover for kennels in your circumstances, sparkey?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Holiday cancellation, £1500, but I need to call them to find out what cancellation is covered , as the policy doc is a one liner

Off to Vet now , and call Pet Plan during office hrs

Spoken to Pet Plan , even they can’t give a definitive answer , all they could come up with , is to submit a claim and see what happens .

Meanwhile , I have messaged the Kennel asking for refund as it was them that had cancelled the booking  , I indicated I would accept an admin fee, suggesting 10%

BTW dog appears to be on the mend , have to submit stool samples next week

As the contract was cancelled by the kennels you should get a full refund without any admin charges being deducted  If they do charge an admin fee you are entitled to ask for a breakdown.

Posted (edited)

Agree, they are the ones cancelling so that means the whole contract is void and you owe nothing.

Why on earth wwere you so forthcoming in demanding they charge you an admin fee? they will now of course use that to try and keep as much money as they can when they by the lack of contract have no claim on any of the money. If you wanted to be awkward you could bill them for the cost of making an alternative arrangement but considering it is a wider health issue just a full refund iswhat one would expect

Edited by ericsbrother

Re admin fee I was trying to be reasonable .

I have contacted the Kennels with bank details requesting a refund , and as you might expect , they think by saying “ at this time we will not be able to accept dog “ they are not cancelling .

I have told them this unacceptable , as their message also carried some inaccuracies as to how they were informed .

I have told them , as I am away ( the holiday the dog was to have been in kennels for ) I have no intention of entering into email ping pong until I return to the UK .

So updates in about 2 weeks time

Thanks so far

Update on saga , bit longer that two weeks, taken time to get claims  etc sorted  

Submitted a claim to Petplan , total of around £700 , made up of vet fees and kennel fees

Paid out on vet fees , kennel fees “not covered “

After a long protracted argument , where they said

“Holiday cancellation “ covers losses due a holiday being  cancelled because the animal is ill .not cancelled kennel fees , had I claimed for a cancelled holiday , it would have cost them over £3000 instead of £390

They say conditions regarding holiday cancellation  are explained in terms and condition , except the T&Cs we received make no mention of this ,

“Well you should have been sent  T&Cs with that explained “

I told them what we received , and so far as I was concerned , that was what I was working to , we agreed to disagree ,and the matter is now going forward as a formal complaint , followed by The FOS if not resolved

Still keeping action against Kennel as backstop