• Tweets

• Tangliss, if you can't upload the letter, could you tell us what the heading is please? My understanding is it should say 'Letter before claim' or similar. HB
    • Do you think I should send the CCA request now then instead of waiting? I really can do without the stress. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you for responding.
    • How was the "receiver" appointed and what is their role? Appointed by the lender under the terms of their security on the loan (sometimes referred to as "LPA Receiver")? Or are they acting for you in insolveny? What's the current role of the agent?
    • Wait for more replies, but that letter to me can be interpreted as a letter before action. Ignoring it can have consequences. The court to impose sanctions for failure in responding to a letter of claim.
    • I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Hoist claimform - old Sky barclaycard debt ***Claim Discontinued***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1580 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I have a Barclaycard from way back in the day, i was very slowly paying it off,

I was out of work for a few months and they were very nice, froze the account

and when i was back in work insisted on converting it to repayment plan at zero interest, great.

It got a bit difficult at the end of the first year because they said I should have called them to renew the plan.

I found out when their ten automated calls a day machine started

which rather removed any goodwill on my side.

After all sorts of nonsense they offered to put me on another plan.

Rather less full of gratitude, I sent off a CCA request by recorded post, and it was signed for and opened.

Since then, perhaps two months ago, nada, barring a monthly statement pointing out that I hadn't made my minimum payment and lumping on some interest.

Can they do that as they are now presumably in breach?

Not yet up to speed on Barclaycard,

are they as terrible at keeping CCAs as the others,

it is an old care, comfortably pre 2007 or whatever the significant date is.

Ta

Micky

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Micky and good to see you again.

Some dates would help us give better suggestions. Like, when did :-

1. The a/c fall into arrears.

2. You reach a repayment plan.

3. You send off a CCA request.

4. They start adding interest again.

:-)

Edited by slick132

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

hmm, well

I was out of work in September 2014 and they very nicely froze the account for six months, ! found work after three or four months and called them to go back onto my payments, they insisted the account stay frozen and I make a much reduced payment for a year. At the end of that year they turned the card back on, added interest etc, the first I knew was when they started sending lots and lots of automated calls. When I rang them I got a call centre that were clueless and eventually agreed I was not at fault and promised me a refund of the added interest and a £100 for the calls.

Then someone the UK side called me and was rather curt, said it was all my fault for not contacting them to arrange a new plan, I complained formally, they responded by saying it was all my fault but it could have been handled better and paid me some compo. Then they offered me a new repayment plan with minimal interest for a further year.

About this time I got annoyed with the messing about and following my apparent success CCAing MNBA/LINK. I thought what the hell and sent a CCA off to Barclaycard over two months ago, it was signed for but otherwise no reply.

Earlier this week I got a routine monthly statement showing I was late making a payment and showing them adding interest at what looks like the old fashioned lively interest rate.

1. I kinda sorta went into arrears six months ago by mistake when the repayment plan ended but they resolved all that and reset the account following my complaint

2. I agreed the latest plan in principle but it was to start when I made the first payment, I haven't done that.

3. I sent a CCA off over two months ago, it was signed for but otherwise no response at all.

4. From memory of my new minimum payment I'm two months of full interest behind so I guess they gave me a couple of week too start the plan and then turned the card 'on again.

And hello again btw

Hi Micky,

Have you suffered any penalty charges during all this or have you avoided them by being proactive.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi Slick, there would defo have been some further back in time, not huge amounts but defo some, especially when the card was active

Am I right to think that people can still reclaim CC charges in the old bank charges stylee? Compound Interest and so on? Even after sending a CCA and kinda establishing that there isn't one?

You're going to tell me to SAR aren't you? I will have a lot of CC statements filed away.

In another thread about a CC with another firm that was sold on to a DCA (who have produced a miserable CCA) I'm sitting pretty, can I still SAR the original CC co and claim charges on that one even now? Are they still not very good at producing old statement as the banks were, again I might have a decent amount of statement going back avery long way?

Sorry for all the optimistic and ignorant questions.

Thanks

Micky

Hi Micky,

Whilst reclaiming bank charges is now not possible, reclaiming CCard charges IS !!

If you have statements showing older CCard chgs, you should reclaim them in full. With BC, we still suggest you claim resitutionary interest as well. If you don't find the statements, a SAR may help although BC will pretend they don't store data beyond 6 years.

If you have other cards to discuss, post a link and we'll assist on the other thead(s).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all

A firm letter yesterday saying contact immediately or else Default etc etc and take money from you other Barclays accounts, the joint account is with them.

Can I send a letter saying the account is in dispute because they have not complied with the CCA request? Or is that just they can't take me to court without producing one? I appreciate they can default and sell the debt on etc etc

I'm making arrangements to move the joint account on to another bank, if the account is always overdrawn can they still take money, a fair lump goes through it every month to pay the bills

Hi Micky,

Write to BC saying the a/c is in clear dispute due to their failure to comply.

If you're able to make ongoing monthly payments, it may be worth doing, to avoid the hassle if you don't. Moving the bank a/c would not then be necessary.

Have you found all your old BC statements to set the reclaiming process in motion.

If you keep the joint a/c, they could raid the a/c if they pay'ts the take don't take you over any existing o/d facility.

Edited by slick132
typo

Hi Slick, ta, that all makes sense

They Defaulted me yesterday, not bothered about credit rating, I've opened a new Joint Account and just need to get the Account Switching service to get it all moved over before payday at the end of the month

Are they even allowed to Default and add charges if the account is in dispute? Does it stay in dispute until the supply a valid copy of the CCA? ie should the account be effectively frozen?

Not yet to statements, been busy and that seemed to less time critical that other things on the go

Thanks again

Micky

Hi Micky,

I thought collection activity should cease until the CCA Request is complied with so complain to BC.

Work on finding those old statements.

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy, posted an Account in Dispute letter yesterday, no other news but I'm going to see what the office cabinet holds in the way of BarclayCard statements.

Thanks

Micky

Hi

I've found a folder with statements for Barclaycard, MBNA and OPus dating back to the end of 2009, there may be others in another folder.

Am I right to think I put all the charges of any kind in to a Stat Interest spreadsheet for each card and then start claim for each, that easy?

Thanks

Micky

Can I claim any of the following?

Interest on cash balance?

Interest on Standard balance?

Interest on Default Sums?

And is stat interest at 8% the bread and butter safe claim?

Is gong for contractual Interest more risky and likely to actually go to court

(I know I'm being lazy for not reading, I wil, promise)

Thanks

Micky

24.9% using the cisheet

and no you cant reclaim those you listed.

only the fixed sum penalty fees.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Micky,

Read through BC *WON* threads here, for guidance on reclaiming - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?97-Barclays-BCard-and-Woolwich-successes

They'll explain most of what you need to know about reclaiming BC default chgs plus restitutionary int't @24.9%.

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

nothing to report really, quite a few calls from BC,

a letter Defaulting me,

eventually a call got me, as soon as the chap identified himself,

I told him that the account was in dispute as they had not complied with a CCA request

and they should not be adding interest and charges to the account but they were, and hung up.

I've since had a letter telling me they were dealing with my complaint

SAR not sent yet, it's the 'agg' of getting to the post office for the postal order ...

Hi Micky,

Get the SAR sorted asap.

The longer you leave it, the greater the chance you'll not get back older data which BC may say is destroyed on a rolling basis.

oooo, there was a reason to post other than a general update

I moved the joint account to another bank as advised so all good there,

after a month odd Barclays bank have now asked to clear my overdraft,

I haven;t responded yet but plan to repay a small amount monthly until it's cleared,

all humdrum non contentious stuff I assume?

Are the BC account and dispute effectively separate from the barclays debt?

Thanks

Micky

Hi Micky,

You've surely been around long enough to know that Barclays Bank, BC, Barclays Partner Finance, etc are ALL part of the Barclays Group.

As such, assets held in any one account are liable to set off to another Barclays Group debt.

Having said that, each dispute is individual and, if you have no credits in any account, you have nothing to lose really.

The SAR will give you info on all accounts whereas the dispute letter will only relate to the account you are disputing

with regard to the SAR, Barclays are not always quick to get you the info in 40 days and will wriggle on anything over 6 yrs old, but if you remind them that their "microfiche system" IS a relevant filing system, they will usually then comply with all the info you need

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

• 1 month later...

Hello all, long time

I had a few letters that i suspect are all routine and dull,

A rather furious legalese one saying the CCA they send me on time in Feb was perfect, quoting all sorts of case law including one that proved that something without my signature or a date on was still an agreement, wha?

I replied in writing to say I had not received a CCA and had therefore not paid anything, believing the account to be in dispute/not valid etc and to send me the CCA

And now a series of letters from Arvato, pay up or else, then make us an offer and now today another pay up or else we sell the debt

Am I right to think this is all indicative of them not having a CCA to send me?

Send a new CCA request should they sell the debt?

As ever thanks for the advice and reassurance

Arvato are our old friends BCW

And can be safely ignore

Extremely lowlife

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 4 months later...

Hello again, the debt has moved onto someone else now, Alliance something or other I think.

They've callled on the landline at 8:30am most days last week,

I've told them that no CCA has been sent to me and hung up so far,

are they allowed to call like that under the circumstances?

It's not like the calls are going to go anywhere after all is it.

Doesn't bother me but it ags the wife and the kids and the mother in law

Thanks

Micky

Did you get the sar back micky?

Done the spreadsheets yet?

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

hello all

apologies for my feeble updating of this thread, been on seven day weeks and rather let paperwork slide

I'm clearing a mountain of post and picked up something I clean forgot about at the time, it' something that came back in response to my CCA in June. They call it a 'Copy Application'.

It appears to be a print out of whatever I might have entered into a web application so personal details of me and my employers, it has 'Created on xx/xx/2007 and it's stamped 'SKY CARD, xx xxx 2007, SUBJECT TO CREDIT APPROVAL' and someone has written on in biro a 12 digit number. (I've xxed out some of the dats and times)

Does that satisfy the CCA request?

Sorry about me, Arvarto seemed to have moved it on to someone calling themselves Allied International Credit in late October, they call a lot and try to take me through security at which point I say I don't give personal details to cold callers.

I'll update on my SAR and spreadsheet as I start catching up with things

Thanks

Micky

Arvarto is the new name for BCW bucanon Clarke and wells, AIC is just another of their trading names.

and they