Jump to content


BankFodder BankFodder


Insurance after ban

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 189 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Good morning,


I have recently completed a ban for DD40 in Scotland. I'm required to sit an extended test as is the mandatory sentencing guidelines. I have that test booked in 6 weeks however I have seen a good deal on a car and would like to purchase it before hand and have it delivered.


My question is what type of insurance do I go for as the car will be sat on my driveway unused. I had considered SORN however my brother is going to drive it 2 or 3 times over the 6 week period (using temp insurance cover) to give it a run so SORN won't be an option.


Also I have had to reapply for my driving licence and this of course it now a provisional however I have 5 years NCD from my previous car that I have confirmed with Axa is still valid so do I declare this on a new insurance policy?


 I also held my licence previously for 11 years with no convictions, points etc. Adrian Flux had confirmed to me that when applying for insurance I should be stating that I have held my licence for 11 years and not the few months I have had the provisional. All very confusing.


The main question would be am I better off calling a particular insurer and explaining the situation as the comparison sites don't have an option for my current situation.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you will certainly be best of dealing directly with an insurer. Being completely open and squeakyclean about everything and not me that confirming in writing what you have told them. Don't hold anything back and make sure you keep a copy of any information which you have supplied them.

I'm sure you realise that this is the time to start cleaning everything up rather than being on the edge

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Best to call a major insurer and ask these questions. 

Record the call.

Then run a quote on a comparison site to have an idea of how much it will cost.

TAKE A VIDEO OF THIS PROCESS, lokk online to see how.

Then choose the insurance company you like and call them to seal the deal.


Goes without saying,  be extremely honest with them about everything.

Lastly, make sure you RECORD THE CALL!

Read the customer service guide here on cag for more guidance.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Use an old fashioned local insurance brokers. There are specialist brokers who help those with motoring convictions.  If you look up British Insurance Brokers Association ( BIBA) you will be able to search for a local brokers. The brokers will help ensure insurance is arranged on the correct basis.

We could do with some help from you.



 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...