Jump to content


BankFodder BankFodder

Recommended Posts

Looking for Car or house insurance, then Adrian Flux will give you a very keen quote.

When you try to make a claim they wash their hands of you, and punt you off to some underwriters who don't want to talk to the public directly. 

Phone calls to their night number are sometimes not passed on to the daytime operatives and in fact sometimes not recorded.

They fail to recognise the Consumer Protection Rules for this country in that when you buy insurance from them, then the contract is between THEM and YOU.  They are reticent to obtain police crime report from the police.

Like many insurance vendors, you never know how good or bad they are until you raise a claim-----then the truth comes out.

Be very wary if you intend to deal with this company.

They are telling me my house insurance claim is void because I can't prove my house was broken into !!!

Edited by scaniaman

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not up to you to prove your house was broken into. Because some thiefs use bump keys to bump a lock open, there would be no signs of forced entry.


If they believe you acted carelessly by leaving doors open or downstairs windows open, then let the loss adjuster report that.


You can ask for a copy of the loss adjusters report to see what they said,


Some Brokers offering cheaper premiums tend to use smaller underwriters, some Gibraltar based and they only offer cheaper premiums because they turn down a higher percentage of claims. 


Suggest checking around online and FOS for examples of theft claims where no signs of forced entry were found.  

We could do with some help from you.



 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

re bump keys- it was decided some years ago that it is a forcible entry becasue the action of bumping and turning the key requires force, as does unscrewing the handles on French Windows. It is in its simplest terms anything that is just not walking or climbing in.


so read the policy, does it say breaking in or forcible entry? if the latter they are screweda nd should be reported.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Forced and violent entry tends to be the common terminology owed these day, as pointed out, using a bump key, turning a handle or pushing an unlocked door is use of force. Violent will involve a breakage of some sort, potentially violently inserting a bump key could be considered.Some older policies will use an “or” instead of the “and” meaning it can be either. 


Most thefts are opportunist, your common household thief isn’t a master criminal, if they were they wouldn’t be doing over houses. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Flux put my insurance through an outfit known as Pen Underwriting who are acting for insurance company L&G.

Claims against Pen are handled by another outfit called the Direct Group.

Eventually, a loss adjuster was appointed and we gave him full details of the theft and a list of items stolen. As far as I can determine, they sat on my claim for about 6 weeks before contacting their jeweller to value the stolen items. After the jeweller submitted their valuation there was another period of inactivity.

After several phone calls and emails, they eventually passed the claim to the insurance company on 18th November. I was informed payment would take up to 7 working days.

Today, a derisory payment was transferred into our bank account.

OVER 6 MONTHS after the robbery occurred.

This delay is totally unacceptable, especially considering the toll it has taken on my very ill wife.

Should I report them to the FSC, as I firmly believe this delay was deliberate.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 months is terrible.  


Pen as far as I'm aware are a Lloyd's syndicate (Lloyd's of London, not the bank).


Lloyd's have a pretty robust complaints process, which means you can still go to the FOS, however there is dual regulation, which means they get to see a complaint first. 



  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...