style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1717 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello.

About 3 months ago i had a very bad experience and was caught taking a box of bars from the range.

It was approx £8 worth.

No police were involved.

My details were taken and I received a letter from RLP in the post a few weeks after.

I know I shouldnt have, but I paid the money as I just wanted it all to be over.

My mental health was not in a good place at the time and I did not need this on my shoulders.

I have just been given a new job (my dream one infact!).

Today I received all the information through, and was asked to sign a form so that they could do 2 checks:

The identity check and the enhanced civil recovery check.

I am very scared about this.

Will I be on the database for Cireco?

Will I lose my job offer?

It was a complete one off and as i say, i was in a very bad place mentally.

I have had treatment etc and it has now resolved.

no it wont.

go do a chargeback with your bank

get your moneyback !!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

4 minutes ago, dx100uk said:

no it wont.

go do a chargeback with your bank

get your moneyback !!

Thankyou for your response. I definitely will consider it, however at the moment its not the money which im stressed about. Ive been given a really good graduate job in healthcare and if they see this on a so-called database, its unlikely theyll keep the offer. Apparently Cireco get all the data from RLP and store it :(

did you sign anything when the incident happened in store?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

No, i wasnt taken to a security room or anything. I was just taken to the till. The woman asked me to write my address down and looked at my ID. She then said id be getting a letter from third-party to claim back expenses. 

Hi,

In the 16 years I’ve been involved in Loss Prevention, I’ve never heard of an ‘Advanced Civil Recovery Check’ - I don’t mean to sound patronising, but are you sure that’s what it’s called? Do you have the form for this check that you could redact any personal details and post? 

From what I understand businesses are being advised to steer clear of this Cireco database for a number of reasons - firstly, the majority of names on it have NOT been convicted of a criminal offence - just reported by LP and security staff without police involvement. The majority are low level thefts in which the offenders could give the details of anybody they want to. And as an LP Investigator - I could report my neighbour if I wanted to. There is no oversight.

Secondly, Cireco are believed to be getting into trouble for the retention of their data. I.e they still have details of alledged shoplifters going back 10 years. Even the police have to ensure that certain information is expunged from their systems after a period of time, and it appears that they have tried to just create a database to rival the Police National Computer, just without the oversight. GDPR should hopefully kick them in the nuts. 

A side note, you said you were taken to the till - did you end up paying for the items you stole? If you did - Civil Recovery should not have been actioned. 

Im sorry this doesn’t really answer your main question. But without seeing the check form, I couldn’t tell you. I would be very surprised if this has any negative bearing on your proposed employment. 

Best,

LPG

you did not sign anything to consent to them using your data

you wont be on the database.

go get that moneyback.

and they

@IM569

Hello, thankyou for the helpful reply.

The employment form simply says 'we do identity checks as part of our pre-employment screening for everyone working at **.

We carry out random checks using Cireco, there are two types:

advanced civil recovery,

and basic criminal record.

We reserve the right to terminate your employment if any findings come out of these checks.

You will receive an email if chosen for an advanced civil recovery check'

No, i did not end up paying.

you didn't sign the consent form.

there cannot be anything on the database

if there is you are in for one hell of a lot of compensation and it will be the end of RLP etc.

you could also hit the prospective employer too. IMHO

and they

you sue the world and his boss if it does

rlp cannot process your data without your WRITTEN and signed consent.

dx

and they

1 hour ago, dx100uk said:

you sue the world and his boss if it does

rlp cannot process your data without your WRITTEN and signed consent.

dx

Thanks. I dont understand much about this but youve made it clearer. Out of interest, my job are asking me to sign to enable them to look up my identity/employment checks with Cireco if required (e.g. chosen by their 'random checks). If i sign this, which i feel like i should, would this still be against DPA on RLP's behalf? As i would not have signed a document from RLP?

Hopefully that makes some sort of sense!

that has been answered several times already but for some reason you want to read the answers already given differently. The law is now the GDPR, not the DPA and it is much stricter

relax, they will get your basic DBS data, which may be as blank as toilet paper as well.

What the company is interested in is did you steal from the till  at a previous employer and that wont be answered by RLP's computer

I feel sorry for the prospective employer for believing the rubbish that RLP sold them as tey are paying a continuous fee to get nothing but potential trouble in return.

Edited by ericsbrother

just been digging into what RLP/Cireco access to confirm identity, risk etc. Esentially it is open source data where the database holders admit that it is not vetted and relies on limited sources anyway.

So are you a company director? are you a politician? if you can answer no to these to questiosn the chances are that any entry on their database is potentially wrong.

Snake oil salesmen.

Thankyou. Yes, Ive paid for an enhanced DBS certificate and that completely clear.

I guess my fear is that it specifically states 'we do random enhanced civil recovery checks via Cireco'.

I know that I have no criminal record at all, but am still concerned this will affect my employment

On 12/07/2019 at 08:53, ericsbrother said:

just been digging into what RLP/Cireco access to confirm identity, risk etc. Esentially it is open source data where the database holders admit that it is not vetted and relies on limited sources anyway.

So are you a company director? are you a politician? if you can answer no to these to questiosn the chances are that any entry on their database is potentially wrong.

Snake oil salesmen.

I think it's certainly snake oil, and may just be an enormous bluff. Cireco is not registered with ICO, nor is it named as a trading name of RLP (which it should if they claim it's under their registration).  They can't process data without consent, and I don't think their silly 'shoplifting register' falls under the data processing exemption for crime prevention or legal reasons, since all are just unsubstantiated allegations.