Should I tell the DWP that I'm volunteering in a new place, months after it started?

Foebane72
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1747 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm on ESA WRAG and had a WCA in 2017, but was allowed to remain where I was and continue volunteering. The last few times I saw my work coach (back in early 2018) I told them where I was volunteering and for how many afternoons a week (3). However, I changed the company I volunteered for from Mind Cymru to RSPCA in January this year, but completely forgot to tell the DWP.

Is it too late to do so, and will I get in trouble if I do inform them months after the fact? I could explain I didn't know I needed to tell them, I suppose. Will it affect my benefits, even if I send in a form? Which form is it, anyway? The last thing I want is another WCA.

Considering the lack of responses now, the fact that the last time I went to the JCP, I told them I was volunteering, and the fact that I'm volunteering under the same exact rules as I have been since 2005, must mean that I haven't committed any fraud and that everything is fine.

You let ESA know about volunteering, purely so they know about it. This is just in case anyone thought you were working earning wages. If you had a nosey neighbour make a benefit fraud report saying you worked, ESA would have your volunteering info.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

2 hours ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

You let ESA know about volunteering, purely so they know about it. This is just in case anyone thought you were working earning wages. If you had a nosey neighbour make a benefit fraud report saying you worked, ESA would have your volunteering info.

I did let them know months ago, yes. Or are you telling me I should let them know of the change now?

Hi. Please bear with me, I'm a bit confused. Your thread title asks if you can tell the DWP about your new volunteering placement months after the event, but in your post #4 you say you did tell them months ago.

Can you tell us a bit more please?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I told the DWP work coach in early 2018 that I was doing three afternoons at Mind Cymru.

Then, around late summer 2018, Mind Cymru suggested that I volunteer elsewhere as they couldn't find much work for me.

I looked around for somewhere else, then found RSPCA in January 2019, but I didn't tell the DWP, and it was a combination of forgetting and not realising I had to (or so I've read in the rules).

So should I? I'm afraid they will suspend my ESA claim until they confirm with RSPCA.

What are the repercussions if I don't? Not serious, surely?

Nothing to worry about.  Just inform ESA that you are now volunteering for the RSPCA obviously in an unpaid role. That they can contact Mr/Mrs x at X address of RSPCA if they want more details.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

What's the best and simplest way of informing them?

Pop into the JCP without an appointment and just tell anyone?

Phone call? What number?

I think there was a form, but it seems to have been discontinued.

phone your work coach of 2018

there is seriously nothing they would want to do to you. nor can they.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I found my old contact number for the work coach, but she's not available on Friday, and I was gonna call on Tuesday next week anyway, on "payday".

After my WCA in (I think) May of 2017, I went for three appointments at the JCP and talked to her the first two times, but the third time it was someone else, but I don't remember if she was sick that day or if the work coach was changed, and I don't have that person's contact number.

I will call on Tuesday in any case, and see what happens.

No don't phone the Work Coach. They Job Centres are now busy dealing with Universal Credit. Your previous Work Coach may no longer deal with previous benefits such as ESA.

What I would suggest you do, to avoid any confusion, is to send a letter to ESA, with a copy of any letter you have from RSPCA detailing the unpaid volunteering role with them. If you don't have a letter from RSPCA, ask them for a letter to confirm that you are volunteering with them in an unpaid role. Then send to ESA with a covering letter with your details including national insurance number.

This is the thing: I haven't had any official letter from the RSPCA to confirm my "contract", for want of a better word. If the head office won't send a letter, I'm sure the manager of the RSPCA charity shop could write a letter, but it would seem old-fashioned to him.

I thought there was some kind of official DWP form for this sort of thing, that I could fill in and sign, but the only one that comes close is the Permitted Work form, which does mention "unpaid", but I don't know if that's volunteering (I guess it would be). Should I print that out, fill that out and send it in by post?

Just a note to the office you deal with for the jobcenter saying that you ae now volunteering for the RSPCA under the same terms and hours as you were with MIND.

They will be concerned about hours and pay so if no change there then they have nothing to say on the subject

2 hours ago, ericsbrother said:

Just a note to the office you deal with for the jobcenter saying that you ae now volunteering for the RSPCA under the same terms and hours as you were with MIND.

They will be concerned about hours and pay so if no change there then they have nothing to say on the subject

I was planning to do more voluntary hours at the RSPCA. As the Permitted Work Factsheet itself says:

• do voluntary work – there is no limit on how many hours a week you can do voluntary work for