Lowell PAPLOC now Claimform - vodafone Mobile debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 962 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I defaulted on a Vodafone contract, the default date is 02/08/2014, the amount at that date was £1389.92.

Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd now have the debt and it was passed on to Lowell Solicitors who have sent me a Letter of Claim - 30 days to Prevent Legal Action.

The 30 days is from 04/04/2019.

Over the years I have ignored this debt and have received occasional letters asking for the money which I have ignored.

Should I risk ignoring this and hope nothing happens and in 13 months the debt become statute barred due to being 6 years old?

Or

should I reply to the letter of claim

complete Section 1 Box C stating 'I don't know whether I owe the debt'

then Section 4 Box I stating 'I need more documents or information', and asking for copies of the written contract for the debt, a full statement of account, a calculation of interest claimed a copy of the notice of assignment of the debt and any other document you may suggest I ask for?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

follow post 4 here.

dx

the debt is solely made of monthly sums till the end of a contract which I did not and could not utilise as the provider had already terminated the connection

• Thanks 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

that will do

and the bit there about paperwork already.

• Thanks 1

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• dx100uk changed the title to Lowell Solicitors - PAP Letter of Claim - vodafone debt
  • 1 month later...

Looking for some more help and advice please on this matter.

Sent reply to Letter of Claim, (it came 04/07/19 not 04/04/19) on 29/07/19 as suggested and got reply as per scan 0039. They replied 31/07/19 with the account was suspended until Lowell Solicitors got a reply from Vodafone (Attachment 0039).

Just received a letter from Lowell Solicitors, dated 22/08/19 (Attachment 0040). It only had copies of statements from Vodafone for February 2014 to June 2014 included, no copies of the Notice of Assignment.

What, if anything do I need to do next?

Thanks in advance of your help.

Thanks for your patience.

Response to Pre-Action Protocol.pdf Pre-Action Protocol Receipt.pdf

thread tidied.

£500 airtime, what were you on to india for several hours then..

I cant honestly see them trying this on in court

they know if defended properly they don't stand a chance.

• Thanks 1

and they

Ha ha, it was 5 numbers on one account. I was paying for my wife and kids. Became ill couldn't pay, tried to negotiate and the rest is history. Anyway we will see what happens next. Hopefully nothing. 

Thanks so much for the advice and patience. Very much appreciated. 

Regards

Jason

• 1 month later...

Seems Lowell do want their day in court,

I just received  a Claim Form for County Court from them giving me 14 days to respond.

Never been at this point before and very worried.

I would appreciate some more advice please.

I have attached a copy (redacted) of the first page of the Claim Form.

I guess the advice I am looking for is whether to admit to the whole claim, admit to part of the claim, dispute the claim, ask for 28 days to prepare defence or contest the court's jurisdiction.

If it were to go to court can I get the case transferred to my local county court in London rather than it being in Northampton?

Thanks again for the help and advice.

• dx100uk changed the title to Lowell PAPLOC now Claimform - vodafone debt

woe slow down

100's of Lowell telecom claimform threads here already

they typically run away once defences are filed and they swallow hard its all unused airtime etc.

please complete this:

• Thanks 1

and they

Name of the Claimant ?LOWELL PORTFOLIO 1 LTD

Date of issue – 16 OCT 2019

Date  to acknowledge) = 03.11.2019

date to submit defence = 15.11.2019

Particulars of Claim

What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim? Please type out their particulars of claim in full (verbatim) less any identifiable data and round the amounts up/down.

1)    The Defendant entered into an agreement with Vodafone under the account reference ********* (“the Agreement”).

2)    The Defendant failed to maintain the required payments and the service was terminated.

3)    The Agreement was later assigned to the Claimant on 24/12/2014 and notice given to the Defendant.

4)    Despite repeated requests for payment, the sum of £1389.92 remains due and outstanding.

And the Claimant claims

a)    The said sum of £1389.92

b)    Interest pursuant to s69 County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue, accruing at a daily rate of £0.305, but limited to one year, being £111.19

c)    Costs

What is the total value of the claim?

Amount claimed                     £1501.11

Court fee                                 £105.00

Legal representative’s costs £80.00

Total amount                          £1686.11

Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC ( Pre Action Protocol) ?Yes

Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred?No

Did you inform the claimant of your change of address?Not applicable

Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account?Mobile phone

When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ?Before April 2007 - 28.07.2006

Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ?Likely to online, otherwise by phone

Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/ Equifax /Etc...) ?Yes

Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim.Assigned Debt purchaser, Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd

Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment?Yes 11.03.2015

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor?Yes 23.06.14

Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ?No

Why did you cease payments?Became ill, in fact disabled, and had to halve my working hours to try to cope.

What was the date of your last payment?29.01.2014

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved?Yes, in that in trying to communicate with Vodafone I ended up with about 5 different complaint numbers making it difficult to agree a payment plan and resulting in the debt increasing.

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan?

Yes, Vodafone did not accept any of my offers, they always asked for a lot more because they insisted in my clearing the whole debt within 6 months. My account was suspended in March 2014 so I could not make any payments.

please note your correct defence filling date

pop up on the MCOL website detailed on the claimform.
[if mcol is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time]
 register as an individual
 note the long gateway number given
 then log in
 select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box.
 then using the details required from the claimform
 defend all
 leave jurisdiction unticked
 you DO NOT file a defence at this time
 click thru to the end
 confirm and exit MCOL.
 get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors [if one is not listed send to the claimant]

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332546-legal-cpr-3114-request-request-for-information-when-a-claim-has-been-issued/
.type your name ONLY

no need to sign anything
you DO NOT await the return of paperwork.
you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform [1 in the count]

• Thanks 1

and they

Thank you. MCOL all done. Does my CPR 31.14 request letter seem okay?

PLEASE NOTE - template letters from our library should not be reproduced on the open forums. If you would like to let people know the wording of your letters simply link to the Letter in question.

why do we need to see our own template?

we know what it says..

and they

I had made some changes as suggested to personalise it to my case and just wanted to know if it was okay to post.Just not very confident doing this and appreciate the help very much you are giving. Thanks.

I will print the letter and get it posted off tomorrow morning and then work on the defence I need to file.

look at their POC 

select the relevant [add/delete] documents listed that the template that they refer too that you can request disclosure of. 

and they

The following was what you requested....if they are referred to in its particulars you have completed the CPR 31.14 correctly. If not referred to remove them from your request.

1: The Agreement. You will appreciate that in an ordinary case and by reason of the provisions of CPR PD 16 para 7.3, where a claim is based upon a written agreement, a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original(s) should be available at the hearing. Further, that any general conditions incorporated in the contract should also be attached.

2: Notice of Assignment

3: The Default Notice

4: The Termination Notice

5: Statement of Account

• Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the guidance and support dx100uk & Andyorch. Here is my defence, how does it look?:

1)    The Defendant entered into an agreement with Vodafone under the account reference ********* (“the Agreement”).

2)    The Defendant failed to maintain the required payments and the service was terminated.

3)    The Agreement was later assigned to the Claimant on 24/12/2014 and notice given to the Defendant.

4)    Despite repeated requests for payment, the sum of £1389.92 remains due and outstanding.

And the Claimant claims

a)    The said sum of £1389.92

b)    Interest pursuant to s69 County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue, accruing at a daily rate of £0.305, but limited to one year, being £111.19

c)    Costs

The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.

1. Paragraph 1 is noted. I have in the past had a contractual relationship  with Vodafone however I do not recall the exact details or recall any outstanding balance and have requested that the claimant verify the exact details of this claim by way of a CPR 31.14 request. The claimant has yet to comply.

2. Paragraph 2 is also noted  but denied. The amount claimed could not possibly consist of simple monthly usage.

3. Paragraph 3 is noted.It is questionable why the claimant has waited 5 years to litigate on an assigned debt and then tries to claim section 69 interest 

from the date of assignment but then limits itself to just one year.

Therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to:

(a) show how the Defendant has entered into an Agreement/Contract

(b) show and disclose evidence of the nature of breach and quantify any debt outstanding

(c) show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for

(d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim

4. On the alternative, if the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act.

5. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

6. Notwithstanding the above should the alleged amount claimed include an early termination charge(s) amounting to the entire balance of the remaining contract, OFCOM guidance states that any Early Termination Charge that is made up of the entire balance of the remaining contract is unlikely to be fair as it fails to take into account the fact that the provider no longer has to provide and pay for their service. An Unfair Term and Condition governed by the Unfair terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (UTCCR).

7. By reason of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

Just a few tweaks above.

Andy

• Thanks 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Andy,

Thanks so much for the tweaks, much appreciated. I will get the above added to my defence now and await Lowell's response to my defence. I will update you here when I hear back from them/court.

Thanks again,

Jason

• Like 1

Hi,

Just received Lowell Solicitors response to my CPR 31.14 request. I have attached it here as one pdf. It contains a response letter from Lowell, a copy of letter of assignment from Vodafone, a copy of a letter from Lowell saying they bought the account and five months of Vodafone fully itemised bills (I just attached the quick breakdown of each).

Is this a standard response to the CPR 31.14 request or is their anything to be wary of?

Many thanks,

Jason

Pretty standard yes...although its good of them to confirm in writing what the debt consists of....

image.png.3aad8b1585d6159c257718de0442c38d.png

• Thanks 1

page 6 has your name

att removed

there must be 100's of people wetting themselves and blindly paying for lowells to keep issuing these claimforms as whenever a claim is defended they eventually run away

• Thanks 1

and they

• 3 weeks later...