deegillie44

DWP 23 year old assumed debt

received a letter stating I owe DWP over £2200 ...

obvs phoned and said I have no idea about this debt...

asked for proof..

they sent a photo copy of a claim type note.

.wasn't a claim..

but a document stating i had been working in 1996 whilst claiming family tax credit.

.and on the document it said a payment card had been issued for re payment of £700 ish.

.they also sent a copy of a letter dated 2003 to say that a £700ish monies that was overpaid to me and my partner ( now ex as of 15yrs) that i would try my best to pay back that £700ish and could they please send me a payment card

..i spoke to hmrc..ermm whats family credit

we'll do an internal investigation..

got a letter back stating.

.yes there was a debt in 2003 but that was written off

...now i have just spilt up with my partner of 15yrs

..its sad and very raw atm.

i have had to make a new claim for uc

..included is my grandson

won't go into details but he will be with me until 18 at least

..i noticed a deduction of almost £50.

.phoned the number and guess what.

.the dwp are deducting monies because of over payment/loan.

.they're not sure from 1996/1997..HELP!!! 

Thread moved to the appropriate forum...please continue to post here to your thread.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

urm..interesting..

FTC is administered by HMRC... what are the DWP doing under UC deducting sums after all this time without checking things

pop off to the HMRC website

fill in their SAR request 

do the same on the dwp website.

pop up on your UC credit webportal.

under your journal add a new message that you dispute the deduction of £50PCM and have enquired via the two websites with an SAR to each as you've no knowledge of an outstanding debt of that age and that its unfair they blindly accept the data attained from HMRC/DWP is correct and reduce your entitlement.

also state that you expect a refund of the reduced UC if neither can provide the necessary data.

my neighbour had the same for a supposed overpayment from 1994, neither website sar returns proved any data existed, the back dated payments were returned with an apology.

dx

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

You can raise a dispute with DWP Debt Management, the telephone number is on your UC statement next to the debt deduction.

What can happen is that DWP were advised of the tax credit debt years ago and they have simply applied a wrong system code against it. Unfortunately, this is where Government records systems have a problem. A debt was originally noted, which is then registered on DWP systems and then if HMRC wrote off the debt, they never advised DWP of this.

If you give DWP Debt Management all of the information, they can investigate and take necessary actions.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for the advice...

Both SAR requests done.

Journal updated.

Hmrc conducting internal investigation.

Will keep you all posted.

they made a lot of errors back then by assuming that paymttns were going ito people's accounts when they werent and when payments were by cheque they had no audit trail to show where the money was sent or if the cheques were cashed.

I have £7 grands worth in my filing cabinet waiting for them to collect but  3 years after that they were trying to reclaim the overpayment and it is still on the DWP records as being unrecoverable rather than not actually paid out so they may try and stop it out of my old age pension when I get that.

Good luck in getting it all cancelled, you may have to ask your MP to take the matter up with the minister and then get the parliamentary ombudsman to bite them when they fail to get it sorted.

No point in using your journal as you will need to contact debt management. Neither the Service Centre or Work Coach have access to the debt manegment systems, they will just respond with "please cointact debt management as per the  deductions section on your statement".

• Like 1