BankFodder BankFodder

mister_b

HMRC Self assessment Debt recovery problem

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 234 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I owe an amount yet to be determined to HMRC.

The debt is roughly £8k but hopefully will be reduced down to about £4k on the 22nd July when the system gets updated.

When I spoke to the debt recovery team today, After a long lecture from a condescending woman about everything i should have done in the past (As if I didn't already know) She insisted that even though HMRC hadn't properly determined how much I owe yet, that I should still start paying it back.

After explaining to her that I was uncomfortable setting up a payment arrangement with an undecided final figure, even with a government department, She insisted that If I didn't want agents knocking at the door, I needed to do "Something" so I offered to set up a direct debit to pay back the amount.

I offered as much as I can afford, £250 per month to show that I was at least trying to pay it off. 

I earn minimum wage now and most weeks I get less than 30 hours so £250 seems like a reasonable amount.

The woman then told me that "It will take ages" to pay back the debt and that I would have to provide income and expenditure evidence for that to be accepted.

I explained that I was on minimum wage and she still insisted that in order to proceed i would have to provide the necessary information.

Here's where I get stuck.

On paper it looks like I can afford to pay more. I am currently couch surfing and trying to save up enough money to move into my own rented property but I highly doubt HMRC are even vaguely interested in anything other than the cold numbers.

I'm not trying to get out of paying the debt, I fully intend to pay it back but the people that have been kind enough to put me up are already getting fed up and wont let me stay indefinitely.  i don't really know what to say or do at this point. 

you can say you are paying £80 a week as a lodger. that will be below the amount the occupier can charge before they get the taxman interested and it will drop your retained income down.

Put that actual money aside so you can save up for a deposit

Plus, just pay the 250 a month, they are hardly going to throw it back at you.  HMRC operatives do talk utter rubbish sometimes.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for the advice. How would I go about paying them without setting up a payment plan? The woman i spoke to today was adamant that I had to provide income and expenditure so that she could decide how much I could afford. 

I've had some really mixed experiences with calling HMRC. I've had one woman be really helpful and understanding and talk me through things and I've had some really abrupt ones like the woman today. 

I would try to keep things in writing.  Even with HMRC, it seems that people will say things on the phone that they wouldn't write down. 

If they insist in writing that they want an I&E, I'm wondering what's to stop you putting down a figure for what you think your expenses will be. 

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

yes do it in writing only.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

Ill write them a letter. 

I'm not trying to avoid giving them my I&E for any reason really. Its just what I outlined in my OP. I know that on paper it looks like I can afford to pay more because i don't imagine that "saving for a deposit and months rent" would be seen as a valid expense to HMRC debt recovery team. Not to mention that I have no idea how much my rent will be but it will definitely be more than I pay curretly

If I don't get my own place in the next few months I will end up on the street but Based on the tone of the conversation I had today with HMRC I don't expect them to be particularly understanding about that one

It's almost like they are on commission at the HMRC.  My wife had a big tax bill, she offered them a fair chunk of money every month that would sort it out over 12 months, but they were still saying the same BS about how it would take ages to pay off and asked if we had cars to sell etc.

I've paid them in the past using the account information on all the turd brown envelope reminders they keep sending.  You could probably do a google search and find the account munber.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread