You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

dkl_uk

Taking tradesmen to small claims - what can I claim for outside of the invoice

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 368 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

I have an invoice of £625 for the following work which began 22nd April 2019:

Install new socket for tv
Full re skim of the room

Move light switch
Fitting ceiling light/fan

Remove scorcher and pull up flooring

Repair floorboards on the landing

Replace Master bedroom door

The jobs in bold didn't get done - the agreement was that the room would be skimmed and electric works would be done, then I would get the room decorated, and finally they would return to do the flooring & floorboards,  carpet would go down a day later, and the door would be fitted a day after that. 

Plastering got done ceiling to floor. Shocking job. Decorators wouldn't dare paint the walls until some filling and chipping away was done. Ceiling looks like Rhyll beach.

While they were here I added to the job - the radiator was being removed for the skimming and so I decided I wanted to move the radiator to the next wall, this was agreed by them for an additional £80. What this also meant is that the current radiator was left in the shed, and I had no heating in the bedroom for two months.

They left on Wednesday 24th April and I paid them the full invoice after verbally agreeing what we'd already agreed - that they would return in a few weeks time to do the rest once the decorating was done. For weeks afterwards I messaged them to ask when they would come back because I had to let the carpet fitter know which day to attend. For every 2/3 messages I sent, I got a barely acceptable reply. I finally demanded they return 17th June so the carpet could go down 18th June. They agreed, and so I told the carpet fitter.

17th June - they don't show up. Don't answer the phone. They do however respond to Facebook message with "I am in hospital". There's two of them, so I ask where the other guy is. "I don't know I can't get hold of him". So at this point, 8/9 weeks of being ignored or fobbed off, this is clearly a lie.. I had to ring the carpet fitter to advise the job might be cancelled. Luckily an emergency advert I put on Facebook was answered and a man came round and did the radiator relocation, part of the floorboard repairs and ripping the floor up for me for quite a sum more than what I'd been quoted by the cowboys. This advert also advised of the shoddy work that had already taken place and advised any potential parties to avoid the company as they had made off without completing the job. The cowboy tradesmen saw this (which will become apparent shortly).

When they left in April they also took keys to my house, front and back door, two lockable gates and a smart fob for my alarm. They've known they have had those keys since April. After they didn't attend the final part of the job I demanded the keys be returned to me by Friday and the responses I got by text were shocking. Due to the fact I called them out for the shoddy work and the fact they were blatantly refusing to do the job they quoted for, they said "it could have been resolved but you went to social media". So, their reason for not giving my keys back (or fixing the issues which I'd already chased for 9 weeks and paid someone else to do) was my emergency request to get the work done.

So, I'm going to raise a small claim. So far this is what I have considered to include:

I estimate the remainder of the job would be £150. 
The additional sum I had to pay to have the emergency radiator relocation done was +£110 over their quote, so I want to claim that.

I need new lock barrels in my gates. Both I believe are £18+shipping+fitting. Probably looking at £70.

New front door and back door lock. £140. No clue yet if that includes fitting.

What other aspects can be claimed for that are in essence non-material, such as the distress caused by them not turning up prior to the carpet fitting, the downright disrespectful tone via texts, and the fact they have access methods to all parts of my property?

What do I need to be careful to include in the claim so it doesn't get thrown out?

The company, Scopes Direct, apparently doesn't exist but does have a social media presence. They arrived in a van liveried with "Sparky Barker" and that also has a social media presence. Also, there's a couple of recent reviews on Yell that have just popped up with the same issues as mine - shoddy work, not returning to finish the job. If it's not a company on the companies house website, what am I claiming against?

These cowboys don't even own their own underwear, so suing them would be pointless.

Unless you find that one of them owns a property in their sole name: impossible if you ask me.

Big mistake was to pay them in advance; always keep in your hands more than they have done, so they'll surely come back at least for the money.

I would report the fact that they have your keys to the police so if your house is "visited" they'll know who it is.

You might even find a good bunch of officers who visit them unexpectedly and get your keys, so they don't have time to make copies.

Keep spreading the news that they are cowboys, that's the best medicine.

Thanks for your reply.

I take it then, considering I can't find the company name in companies house, that I'd have to attempt to sue one or both or the inviduals who did the work?

I'll be calling 101 to see about the key situation. I've asked for them back a couple of times now and the deadline has passed. I am not intent on allowing two people who have already taken the mick also holding onto key to every single entry point of my property.

The fact they haven't done the work via a limited company might play in your favour if any of the 2 cowboys have any asset (unlikely)

Yes, you would issue court papers to both of them.