BankFodder BankFodder

Openheartzoo

SIV cancellation & DFC

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 200 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

In April of last year I signed up for monthly rolling membership through SIV/Fitness Unlimited at one of my local gyms here in Sheffield. No minimum term, just give 30 days notice to cancel. 

At the end of May I called to cancel (with June 1st to be the last payment taken) and then cancelled the direct debit with my bank after the final payment was collected. 

Then yesterday I received an email from Debit Finance Collections staying that they were unable to take the DD payment due on July 1st and a £15 late fee has been put on top, putting the total due to £51.

Now my first instinct is that it will probably be fine because I gave appropriate notice.  I’ve contacted DFC and am waiting for them to get back to me to confirm. 

However I do have some concerns about this. If they’ve emailed me stating they failed to take the payment due, then had I not cancelled the DD itself they would have collected the payment and I’d be out of pocket... but also this means they clearly made a mistake and I’m concerned that their response is going to be that the membership isn’t cancelled and I have to pay the membership fee plus the late fee.

In which case - what do I do? They only take cancellations over the phone so it’s not like I have a sent email I could forward them as proof. 

Ignore them

Block bounce email

nothing anyone can do to you

Hi OHZ and welcome to CAG

I know it's too late on this occasion but see this Guide about how to cancel in future - 

1. Do you know the date and time you called to cancel (from your phone) as this could be useful to tell the gym or DFC.

2. Did you call the gym or an admin company.

If DFC call you back, tell them "In writing only" as you will only communicate by letter or email, then hang up.

Gyms often fail to deal properly with cancellations so yours is a common problem. You will not have to pay any further gym fee or admin fee. We'll help ensure this is the case.

Answer my Q's and ignore all demands or contact for now.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)