• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Moneyclaim - Cleo AI Ltd

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1662 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, 

I've had a few issues with Cleo (meetCleo).

The latest has been the last straw.

It started when I attempted to withdraw money from the Cleo Wallet.

A message came-up on screen saying:

'There is an error with your account. Please contact support for help.'

I contacted support and was duly told that it was because I had reached the maximum withdrawal limit and that I had to upload ID.

I immediately uploaded ID.

However, few hours later received an email saying the verification has been unsuccessful.

Tried the upload again, only to receive the same 'ID verification unsuccessful' email.

I then contacted support to let them know.

Didn't receive a reply.

So tried the ID upload again.

Failed.

Contacted support again.

I was then told that the issue will be escalated to the technical team and that they 'will get back to [me] as soon as possible next week'.

I waited patiently.

By mid-week I hadn't' heard anything. 

Contacted support again (On the cleo facebook app, I could see that this message was 'seen' by support).

By Friday I hadn't heard anything,

I then contacted my regular contact at Cleo.

I didn't receive any reply.

Checked online and saw that Cleo was experiencing some problems with handling support queries.

Waited patiently thinking it will be sorted sooner or later.

Weeks became months and no reply.

Then decided enough was enough and contacted the CEO using twitter, linked-in and email.

No reply to any of these communications. 

I then decided to write to Cleo using the pre-action protocol requesting refund of the £16.88 kept in my Cleo wallet back to source

(This amount comprised of two payments that had been made in to the Wallet using credit card).

Also, I asked for £50.00 for the inconvenience suffered as well as £10.00 for printing, photocopying and postage in lodging the claim.

Received letter from cleo with accompanying receipts showing two transactions (£7.45 and £9.43) refunded back to source.

I checked credit card accounts and the two transactions had been refunded.

However, Cleo refused to pay any compensation saying 'Unfortunately, we are unable to provide compensation on such matters, with this being the same for all users'.

They have provided an explanation for the lack of support:

You then provided identification to be verified and made further communication on 28th September and again on 5th October. I can see that you were informed that the issue would be escalated. Here it seems that the communication broke down, and we are sorry for this. However, there was no further attempt on your behalf to contact the team from 5th October onwards.

As the issue was not pursued, the communication was lost. We do accept that we could have been more proactive in making sure that your issue was resolved, and again apologise for this. We are consistently working to better our service and your feedback is of great value.

I have written to Cleo again stating that I had actually communicated with my contact at Cleo and also written to CEO Barnaby Hussey-Yeo using multiple channels.

I then explained that the time spent on this has caused me financial loss, detailed the loss suffered (3 hours), attached payslips and requested that they settle the amount within 28 days. I also told them about paragraphs 15 and 16 of the Practice Direction and that if I do not receive a response in 28 days 'I anticipate that court action will be commenced with no further reference to you'.

Now it's well beyond 28 days. How should I proceed?. Should I go ahead and make the money claim now or should I first make a Subject Access Request (SAR) to obtain all my personal data, then make the money claim?

I think Cleo has definitely flouted the BCOBS rules and possibly the terms of the agreement. The terms of the agreement says:

We will give you notice if we decide to terminate provision of the Services on any Application or the Website.

I was never given any notice.

It's a very small amount. I notice that they are registered with the FCA. I wonder if they are subject to the FOS. I would suggest that you call the FOS and find out. If they are then the first thing to do in this circumstance would be to begin a formal complaint and tell them that you want it moved up to the ombudsman after eight weeks.

See where that takes you.

Secondly, I would start giving them one star reviews on trust pilot and Google.

Once again it's a very small amount and also let me point out that it is very difficult to obtain the kind of compensation that you are seeking.

On the other hand, it is such a small amount there is a possibility that they would put their hands up rather than to have to go to the trouble of going to court.

I think the chances of you succeeding on the principal are extremely good – better than 90%. However the chances of getting the compensation you want are extremely poor. I certainly think that it would be interesting to bring an action under BCOBS and that my alarm them sufficiently that they would be prepared to put their hands up and pay you out.

You would have to factor in the risk of losing the court fee – which would be about £25 and a hearing fee if they decided to go the distance which should be about a hundred or so – I'm not completely sure.

It's such a small outlay you may well want to have a go just for the crack. I'd be very interested to know how it goes

20 hours ago, parity4all said:

I already complained to the Ombudsman. Cleo isn't covered. i.e. Financial Ombudsman does not have jurisdiction.

I just checked the FCA register: https://register.fca.org.uk/

Cleo AI Ltd is definitely on there. When I check 'Trading/Brand name' it shows the 'effective from' date as 09/04/2018.

I complained to the ombudsman on 28/10/2018. This is the reply I received:.

..The Financial Ombudsman Service only looks at complaints between financial companies that are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and their customers.

I can see that your complaint is against Cleo Al Limited. Unfortunately we won’t be able to look into this complaint because Cleo Al Limited isn’t a regulated company.

In moving forward you could try and contact Cleo Al Limited and ask about their complaints procedure so you could follow it accordingly.

I’m sorry I’m unable to help any further.'

Kind regards

[name of investigator] | investigator | 

Why would the ombudsman tell me Cleo AI Ltd is not covered?

Edited by parity4all

I've left google review. couldn't help noticing that my usual contact (I use 'usual' in the loosest possible way here as I've not heard from him for months) has also a left a review with the following:

Cleo is awesome - helps me keep track of my spending in a useful and fun way. The insights are great and I'm loving the auto-save feature too.

Presumably he's left the review as a customer?, The review is a year old. I definitely had a few email exchanges with him in June 2018, so he was working for Cleo back then for sure.

Okay. Subject Access Request (SAR) lodged with cleo. Will keep you posted on what happens. 

Btw word of warning about the financial ombudsman service (FOS). Simply put. It's a circus.

Most of the people working there have no clue what they are doing (apart from the one or two exceptions). I've made about 20 complaints over the past 10 years or so. Only one was handled properly. That was the first ever complaint I made (back in 2010/11). Every single complaint since then has included a service complaint (sometimes one complaint would have several service complaints during the course of the process).

For example, my latest complaint against Marks and Spencer (M&S) Bank, spent months in queue. I sensed there was something wrong and contacted the FOS. It turned out it was put in the wrong queue. FOS apologised, paid compensations and said they will start investigating immediately. 

They did this. I received email from investigator immediately. But it turns out that he either can't read, won't read, or don't read. Huge chunks of what I've said in the complaint form was completely missed. Seems he doesn't understand that credit cards have something called interest AND fees, because he kept going on about just interest.

He asked the bank for the terms and conditions when the bank had already sent them. When I asked how come, he tried to cover it up by saying 'upon fully reviewing your case file I've now seen that it was not necessary to ask for the terms'. Heavens forbid. There are so many complaints waiting months/years to be resolved and he is duplicating work!

I've seen in another forum that FOS allocates the best adjudicator's for those complaining for the first time. I can see truth in this. Because after my first time I've come across some real numpties. If it's your first time you may be lucky. Otherwise don't bother guys. Take it somewhere where common sense rules. 

• 2 months later...
On 04/07/2019 at 11:10, parity4all said:

I just checked the FCA register: https://register.fca.org.uk/

Cleo AI Ltd is definitely on there. When I check 'Trading/Brand name' it shows the 'effective from' date as 09/04/2018.

I complained to the ombudsman on 28/10/2018. This is the reply I received:.

Why would the ombudsman tell me Cleo AI Ltd is not covered?

update: 

I emailed the FOS staff member (who said Cleo isn’t a regulated company) to complain (make service complaint). The email was returned undeliverable. Tried again, same result. Forwarded my service complaint to the FOS generic email address. Didn't receive any acknowledgement within 14 days (which is FOS policy for acknowledging service complaints).

So, contacted my MP (Member of Parliament). After he wrote to FOS, they agreed to look at my complaint again. A senior adjudicator (SA) contacted me and said Cleo hadn't actually been regulated at the time I complained to FOS. They've only become regulated since 01 March 2019. 

I checked the FCA website again and although the the Trading/brand name ‘effective from’ date says:  09/04/2018 the 'Current PSD Status' date under 'regulators' is showing 01/03/2019.

the SA liased with Cleo on several occasions and managed to resolve it.

Rather than the £60 I was claiming as compensation, Cleo had agreed to pay £100 compensation in 2-3 working days.

However, it was never actioned.

I contacted the SA again.

He chased-up with CLeo.

Turned out the Cleo staff member handling the payment had gone on leave.

Now that he was back, I was told payment will come through in 2 working days.

This time it did come through.

All's well that ends well. 

hey so we can mark this won?

well done

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

On 10/07/2019 at 23:34, parity4all said:

Okay. Subject Access Request ( SAR) lodged with cleo. Will keep you posted on what happens. 

SAR Update: 

SAR lodged on 08 July 2019.

Cleo didn't respond to my SAR within the statutory one calendar month, so I complained to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) on 14 August 2019. 

The next day (15 August 2019) Cleo responds to my SAR message, with one of the strangest emails I've ever seen:

We are reviewing this internally in response to a reach out from the Financial Ombudsman Service.  We feel we felt that we had closed this complaint with our previous responses. 

We will let you know when we have an answer from them on how to proceed.

How on earth can a SAR be confused with the complaint with the FOS?..Has Cleo ever seen a SAR before?

I've sent many a SAR before and used the same template. It clearly mentioned the personal data I was requesting. i.e. all personal data held under my name or reference.

BTW, heads up on personal information complaints to the ICO. My complaint lodged on 14 August is still 'awaiting allocation'. Looks like ICO is dealing with heavy backlogs.

8 hours ago, dx100uk said:

hey so we can mark this won?

well done

Of course. However, only for the purposes of keeping the same format ongoing. 

In all honesty, common sense, decency, reasonableness, fairness were the real victors. So, really, it's a win-win for both sides.

Thanks to everyone for their valuable insights and encouragement.

p.s. once marked, can we still keep the thread open? I can then update the outcome of the SAR request as and when.

We dont close threads

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...