Equitable Life has done a credit search and is sending unwanted correspondence***Resolved***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1721 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, Hope you can help.

I don't remember joining Equitable Life or giving them my details for their products yet they have sent me two letters and an information booklet entitled 'Introduction to the Scheme'  

The first letter has my name and address and a reference number on it. The information in the letter says Equitable Life has used a credit reference agency to check my identity. I have checked my credit record and it shows Equitable Life did a search in June 2019 and the purpose was for Anti - Money Laundering’ 

The second letter they have sent, (in the same envelope as the first letter) is standard with no name address or date and starts off 'Dear' and then a blank space. This letter talks about a proposal to make changes to ‘with - profits policies etc’. In short the letter is making me aware to vote for upcoming changes as if I am a policy holder.

Is Equitable Life allowed to use a credit reference agency to make searches on my credit record without my permission?  I also feel that making a search in this manner puts a negative influence on my credit record. I am not a policy holder with Equitable Life. Have you got a standard letter I could send to them about this?  Thanks in advance.

Hi

And you have not taken out anything in connection with Equitable Life ?

3. YOUR RIGHTS OVER YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION

You have certain rights regarding your personal information, subject to local law. These include the following rights to:

• access your personal information
• rectify the information we hold about you
• erase your personal information
• restrict our use of your personal information
• object to our use of your personal information
• receive your personal information in a usable electronic format and transmit it to a third party (right to data portability)
• lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority

If you would like further information or would like to exercise your rights, please complete this form

We will respond to you within one month of receiving your request unless we notify you otherwise. Please address any requests for personal information, questions on this matter or requests to correct any inaccuracies in the information we hold on you to the address set out in the Contact Us below. We encourage you to contact us to update or correct your information if it changes or if the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate.

We will contact you if we need additional information from you in order to honour your requests

https://www.equitable.co.uk/privacy-notice/

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

35 minutes ago, honeybee13 said:

It sounds as if it could be pension scheme information. It isn't connected with you current employer or a previous one is it?

HB

Not sure ...if it was connected with a previous  employer which would be over 12 years ago now!

Well it sounds as if they might have a frozen pension for you assuming they've found the right person. I think it's worth a phone call and depending on what they say, you can take advice from someone like Pensions Wise.

It's about this transfer of funds held by Equitable.

https://www.equitable.co.uk/unit-linked-important-news/

Illegitimi non carborundum

It is not uncommon for pension providers chasing people to let them know about lost pensions etc use CRAs... 

If it is a Soft Search then you have nothing to worry about...

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

So they have some of your money in one of their p*ss poor schemes and intend to transfer it to another of their flat as a pancake investments unless you disagree. they have used a credit search to make sure you are the correct Joe Bloggs so nothing untoward. can you imagine how upset you would be in 10 years time if they hadn't done that and given your money away to someone else

Now do you have another active pension scheme? if so make them transfer it into that. If they refuse you go to the Ombudsman if your scheme allows transfers in (most do-stupid of them not to)

Lol! thanks ericsbrother! I was hoping for a windfall from a potential frozen pension, but you have brought me back to earth.  What knacked me in the first place was that they could do a credit search out of the blue like that! ... and then send me infor without precise policy details.. But I am looking forward to their  reply.

you can always ask them for a pension statement now they know that you are the right Joe Bloggs. Once you ahve thta then thin about moving it, esp if you are in a current scheme as the top up will be better for you than another stand alone

On 07/07/2019 at 15:28, honeybee13 said:

Please keep us posted. :)

HB

Ok, I do have a pension plan with Equitable Life!!!  I have just received a letter dated 09th July 2019 confirming the policy.

Thanks for all the reassurances from you and the other site team members. Also to the pointer to pension Wise   I would otherwise have been  needlessly flustered  about scams etc.

Many thanks! 

• Andyorch changed the title to Equitable Life has done a credit search and is sending unwanted correspondence***Resolved***