Xercise4Less/ Harlands/ CRS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1381 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I know there are a lot of other threads for this but I wanted to outline my particular situation and get some advice if possible. 

I signed up for a year with xercise for less. It has been over 2 years now. I had a month where I was running out of money so was at the bank trying to move things around and get a grip on all my outgoings. The direct debit for Xercise4less, or harlands rather, had put me in the red so I just cancelled it. Didn't realize I wasn't allowed to, just thought I wouldn't be able to use the gym anymore, given that my contract period had ended long ago. 

To cut a long story short, I reinstated the direct debit when they contacted me but they keep piling on charges and CRS are now chasing me for over £100. My membership was/is £9.99 a month. 

I have not replied to anything or made contact in anyway. I realize it was my mistake not to give notice, but I thought that was just a courtesy measure not something that could incur charges. 

I know a lot of people on here have some sort of excuse but I literally just cancelled it because I didn't have much money and didn't know any of this would happen. 
So....am I at fault? Do I need to pay? 

Thanks in advance 

> they keep piling on charges and CRS are now chasing me for over £100. My membership was/is £9.99 a month.

> So....am I at fault? Do I need to pay?

You are not at fault. It is entirely their fault for making this whole process so difficult, and I'd love to seem them argue otherwise against any British judge. Have you ever met any other company who makes it this difficult to cancel a subscription? Probably not! Because it's a (sort of) legal grey-area. You owe them nothing. In what world does it make sense to charge a customer £90 for cancelling their (£9.99/mo) membership less than a month early? What other reputable company would do this? Nobody. This is not legally enforceable!    

X4L/Harlands/CRS/Zinc are all part of the same group, and they all have absolutely zero legal power over you. They are not bailiffs. Nothing will happen to your credit and nobody will show up at your door. They will never dare take you to court, because they know that they stand no chance, but they might try to scare you. Pay no attention to this. You might get a few annoying emails/texts/phone calls, but do not answer nor reply to any of these - if you do, you're just giving them more to feed on. These people prey on vulnerable people who get fooled into thinking they're in the wrong. Ignore any and all communication with these people .  

Feel free to check out similar threads from 2010-2016 about X4L/Harlands/CRS/Zinc on this forum, you'll notice that every OP stopped replying after so long because these cowboys gave up on trying to take money from them after they realised that they wouldn't budge. Their whole business is based on taking money from innocent people. You'll be fine!

Good luck. Keep us updated!

Edited by slick132
removed defamatory and derogatory remarks

Hi KJ and welcome to CAG

See the Guide here about how to cancel properly for future reference - 

Some answers please so we can offer the right advice :-

1. Date you cancelled the DD mandate at the bank.

2. Date you reinstated the mandate. 

3. Date the DD was normally taken each month.

4. Date and amount of each payment via DD since it was reinstated.

What you should have done is left the DD cancelled and simply offered Harlands just 1 months fee for the notice period you failed to give. But once you give answers to my Q's above, we can suggest what you should do to end the matter and reclaim any DD's taken in excess of what you owe.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Slick, 

Thank you for your reply.

In answer to all your questions:

I cancelled the DD on 13/05/19.

I reinstated the DD on 24/05/19.

Previously it was taken on the 11th of each month.

It is now on the 24th of each month and so has been running for just under 2 months.

I don't care about recovering any money, I just want to end the matter so I don't have to think about it anymore. Please give me instructions to that effect, I would greatly appreciate it. Please bare in mind that I do not have internet banking and so have to find time to go to the physical bank to recover any info.

Thanks again to yourself and Rei4096 

Hi KJ ,

You say you don't care about recovering money but this is necessary, to establish your position regarding Harlands, the DD mandate and the gym agreement.

You paid the DD due on or around 11/5/19  and cancelled the DD mandate shortly after on 13/5/19. This was clear notice of your desire to cancel the DD and you were allowed to do this as you were no longer in the minimum m/ship period.

You owed just one further payment for the notice period you failed to give, and this amount was paid on 24th May.

1. Was this just the normal monthly fee or was it more, due to Harlands admin charges.?

You only owed 1 final month's gym fee so anything you paid in excess of this must now be reclaimed via your bank using the DD Guarantee Scheme. 

Let us know the answer to Q 1 above so we can advise further.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi Slick,

Ok so I am looking at the sheet I printed from the bank.
Recent payment History for Harlands is as follows:

11/03/19 - £9.99 - Returned: No

11/04/19 - £9.99 - Returned: No

13/05/19 - £9.99 - Returned: Yes

Basically the payment came out on the 11th but it put me into a temporary overdraft which is where the bank essentially pay off the money and then give me a time limit to put money in my bank before they charge me. I had been meaning to stop that particular DD for a while and the woman behind the counter said she could just retrieve the money for me and cancel it if I wanted and that I would just have to let them know I'd cancelled it. That's what started this whole thing.

Before I posted I had read a few of the old threads but it was the awkward nature of the situation and the way it got retrieved and cancelled that made me make my own thread because I wasn't entirely sure if this changed things. 

In my Update history section it states:

13/05/19 DD Cancelled  - Reason: Customer
24/05/19 DD Reinstated  - Reason: Customer
24/05/19 DD Cancelled - Reason: Bank

24/05/19 DD Reinstated - Reason: Customer

I have no idea why the bank cancelled the DD and then reinstated it the same day, I think it was a cock up by whoever was serving me at the bank. When I printed this out  I also noticed that there was now a second DD set up with Harlands for £0.00 which when I asked the man who was helping me he said it was probably set up by Harlands. Not sure what thats about. 

I am aware that this info is missing the month of June and I will endeavour to go into town tomorrow to find out if the DD came out and on what day. 

Thanks again and sorry for the long reply

P.S I have not paid any of the admin fees or anything other than the normal direct debits and have not contacted them in any way 

Hi KJ,

Ahaa, so the payment made about 11th May was repaid to you by the bank. Is that right ?

If so, you owe just £9.99 more for the 11th June gym fee. Was this paid to the gym ?

Again, if so, you owe nothing more and should now cancel the DD mandate via the bank immediately before they pay Harlands around 25th July.

Please confirm with simple details.

5 minutes ago, slick132 said:

Ahaa, so the payment made about 11th May was repaid to you by the bank. Is that right ?

Yes that's correct 

5 minutes ago, slick132 said:

If so, you owe just £9.99 more for the 11th June gym fee. Was this paid to the gym ?

I have not made a payment specifically but there should have been a DD that came out in june for £9.99 after I reinstated it. Would that count? 

Hi KJ,

This should really be quite simple ............

You gave the gym notice to cancel by your actions on 13th May and you should have paid £9.99 for May.

You should also have paid 1 further fee for the notice period (payable by DD on the new date of 24th May.

Please now confirm :-

1. What amount you paid by DD in May.

2. What amount you paid by DD in June.

Ok sorry for making things more complicated than they needed to be

I have been to the bank and had a conversation that has made everything clear and simple

10 hours ago, slick132 said:

1. What amount you paid by DD in May.

The DD for May was not paid, it was returned to me and then cancelled. 

10 hours ago, slick132 said:

2. What amount you paid by DD in June.

The DD was not reinstated on their end and so was in effect cancelled in May and no further payments of any kind have been made since. 

Hope this makes things clearer.
Thanks

Thanks KJ

So according to my reckoning, you owe £9.99 for the May DD that was not paid, and the final DD that was due in June for the notice period.

Send a typed letter to Harlands at their Haywards Heath address and get a free Certificate of Posting at the PO. 

Dear Harlands,

I refer to my membership at [town/city] gym.

The DD mandate was cancelled in May 2019 and this was notice of my intent to cancel the gym membership.

I owe for the May gym fee which was not paid, and for the final fee due in June for the notice period.

Please confirm bank payment details so I can pay you the £19.98 to end this matter. I will not pay any admin fees added by Harlands. I will only deal with this matter in writing, not by phone.

My offer is valid for 14 days and will be withdrawn if you demand any higher amount.

Yours sincerely,

Let us know how they respond ............

😎

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Slick,

I sent the letter and have received this email:

Dear Mr 

Thank you for your recent letter.

Cancelling your direct debit does not cancel your membership, it only stops the payments from being taken. Under the Terms and Conditions you have signed up to, you will incur a charges for unsuccessful debits.

We can confirm all cancellations are dealt with online via an online cancellation form, this can be found on the Xercise 4 Less App or use the following link for the Xercise 4 Less website cancellation form: https://harlands-cloud.co.uk/xercisecancel/?_ga=2.64804847.1590817877.1549534563-1931044706.1521798642

You will need your W reference number which is W...…. and then you need to input the branch that you use and your Date of Birth.

Please note, to enable you to complete the form, your payments must be up to date and you must have an active direct debit in place, if your direct debit is cancelled and/ or you're in arrears please use the following link to reinstate and/ or make a catch up payment: https://harlands-cloud.co.uk/payflex/?_ga=2.23589754.1590817877.1549534563-1931044706.1521798642 

Once completed you will receive a confirmation of cancellation receipt.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

For all Enquiries Call Harlands : 01444 449033 () Quote Reference :  

Our lines are open 8am to 8pm Monday - Friday and from 9am to 12pm on Saturday. Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

Harlands

Yours sincerely, 
Harlands Customer Service Team

how did they get your email.

never use that block and bounce then back

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi KJ,

Even if they replied within 14 days of your letter, they've refused your offer so now you simply ignore further demands.

But keep us posted ...........

😎

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

I have been receiving consistent emails from Harlands and CRS, aswell as texts and a few attempts at phone calls so nothing unusual there. 

I have now received an email from a company called UK Search Limited asking me to contact them by phone if it isn't my email and that they will assume it is if I don't. 

Is this something I should pay attention to?

Has anyone else ever had this?

Is it likely just Harlands who hired them? 

Its worth noting that I marked both Harlands and CRS as spam so I haven't been getting any of their emails for a while.

Good ignore

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi KJ,

I've never heard of Harlands/CRS using UK Search Ltd but there's a first time for everything.

But until UK Search contact you properly and reveal their intention, ignore them completely..

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

UK Search Limited have been employed by Hardlands to hound me for payment. 

Any ideas why they would pay UKSL to do this?

I just answered the phone to them accidentally and said they can contact me by post but I won't discuss anything over the phone. 

The last text they sent me said:

Despite previous attempts you have still not made contact with UKSL about HAARLANDS GROUP, this is now a serious matter and we require your cooperation, call: blah blah blah

Thoughts on all this? 

powerless as all DCA's

dx

and they

Hi KJ,

Never mind what they "require" !! They can go get what they require elsewhere.

Ignore any calls, texts and emails. If you answer a call and hear it's UKSL, just hang up saying nothing more.

Let us know if they write to you as it'll be interesting to hear what they have to say. 😎

• 5 months later...

I have not heard anything from Harlands, CRS, Zinc or UK search Limited for a few months so thank you for your help in that regard. 

If I hear anything else I shall let you know. 

I am now moving house and want to cancel my gym membership from my Ashbourne Management gym. This is a rolling monthly contract and is currently frozen due to covid 19. I would like to do this correctly and send them the right email. Can someone please attach the correct letter template to send, or direct me to a copy (the pinned one doesn't work for me).

Thanks

Edited by King John
Corrected a word

Hi KJ,

I think Harlands/CRS have been out of action since Lockdown as no one has posted here since 25th March.

To cancel the current rolling monthly agreement with AMSLtd, I suggest  you send a letter posted to AMSL's postal address and get a free Certificate of Posting from the PO :-

Dear sir or madam,

Membership at xxxxx Gym

I hereby confirm my need to cancel my monthly agreement at the above gym. I would normally offer to pay a final month's fee for the notice period but, as the gym remains closed, I assume I need pay nothing.

Please reply to my email address which is [email protected] to confirm you accept I have terminated the gym membership and need pay nothing more.

Yours faithfully,

KingJohn

The postal address is Regus House, Blythe Valley Park, Central Blvd, Shirley, Solihull B90 8AG

Sending the letter by post means you have proof of the cancellation. Sent by email, they could deny receiving it.