Ethel Street

Appeals against PCNs - research by Which? magaxzine

Posted (edited)

I saw this article in Which? magazine this month about PPCs

https://magazine.which.co.uk/editions/edition_w0719/data/276/index.html?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=Magazine_Preview_July19_supp

Scroll to the bottom and there's a table of the number of appeals to POPLA and IAS. What struck me about it is that the advice often given here is that appeals to POPLA/IAS are a waste of time as they almost never uphold an appeal but the Which? table shows success rates of 40% - 50% for POPLA, 30% for IAS, albeit the number of appeals is a tiny percentage of the number of PCNs issued. The majority of the successful appeals are because the PPC didn't defend it, but a win is a win.

It made me wonder whether the default advice should be that people should always lodge an appeal with POPLA/IAS? What do the experts think?

Edited by Ethel Street

A lot of the cases we see here would fail at appeal becuse if you read what you can and cant appeal at POPLA ( and the IAS) isnt what people are troubled with.

they will never take any planning matter into consideration and breaches of the protocols of the POFA are likewise ignored as thier attitude is that someone has to pay if a ticket was issued rather than considering whether the wording of the NTK was compliant.

Now perhaps more people should appeal to POPLA if only to waste the parking co's money