• Tweets

• Default Amount £9237.88, all this started in 2006 Admitted debt £9075.65 Weightmans added £1515.01 immediately they became involved, no explanation The Statement shows when Marlin bought debt in May 2011 £10439.25 Their statements, not received until the SAR, are based on this. Cabot deducted £1515.01on their statements in January 2019, again did not find this out until SAR. Weightmans added in  2007 after the CH1 etc was confirmed by the court £741.50, made up of Process server fees, Court Fee (they tried for bankruptcy), Solicitors fee and Land Registry fee. Unspecfied Legal costs were added by Marlin in March 2015, again I did not know this until statements received with SAR I had been paying monthly, without exception until December 2018. I am minded to take the property charge, CH1 amount ,deduct all my payments and the subsequent fees, and request/demand a refund on the final payment made? I consistently disputed Weightmans balances, but they never responded. I also told Mortimer Clarke/Cabot that I disputed their amounts.  
    • Just follow this link and have read of some threads so your familiar with the process https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/347310-legal-n180-directions-questionnaire-small-claims-track/#comment-5178739
    • Sorry,  I'm not familiar with terminology.  Direction questionnaire is what I've seen online as next step. Witness statement: I haven't gone that far, that's why I put the question marks.
    • 2. Is correct disregard 1. You must attend ad per the order 
    • Confirmed with Central Contact Centre that the hearing is 24th, disappointed I can't speak directly with the local county court I have to email the local court apparently is the only way. The agent couldn't explain the discrepancy between the two letters, she sounded very confused. If they were identical letters in wording but only dates were different I would feel ok, slightly worried the wording differs...
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Me Vs Nothern Rock ** WON **

meled
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6058 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok I started moneyclaim against Northern Rock in October for arrears.

They acknowledged the claim but then I heard nothing from them until Weds when they sent a letter to the court asking for more information or they wanted the claim struck out!! I sent them the information required (basically it was a list of charges, which of course they have had!!). I sent this yesterday.

Today I have received a letter from them including the defence! So I thought I would post the defence.

Though does anyone know how long we get to send back the AQ as the court will probably send this out on Monday but we are away on holiday for 2 weeks and dont want to miss the reply date???

Ok the defence is as follows:

1. The Defendant is a company which carries on the business of a mortgage lender.

2. The Defendant offered the Claimant a loan of £XXXX by an offer of advance dated 24th June 1999, which the claimant accepted. The said loan was secured by a mortgage granted by the Claimant to the Defendant over ADDRESS for a term of 25 years. The claimant's account with the Defendant was numbered xxxxxx-xxxxx

3. The Said mortgage was subject to the defendant's general conditions ("the general conditions"), the Defendants Mortgage Conditions 1997 and the special conditions contained within the offer of advance. The Defendant will rely on the General Conditions, the 1997 Conditions and the Special Conditions at trial for thier full terms and true effect.

4. The Claimant is to particularise:

1. The charges allegedly debited by the defendant and the alleged breaches of contract.

2. The term of the general conditions, the 1997 conditions, the special conditions or any other document on which the claimant relies, which the claimant avers is or are unenforceable.

3. The calculation of interest.

5. The Defendant notes that although the claimant wrote to the defendant by letter on 25th September 2006 to which was attached a list of charges, the total charges referred to in that list total £6526.52, which is inconsistent with the sum claimed herein. The claimant has failed to send another copy of the list of charges, contrary to his statement in the particulars of claim.

I did originaly write for the ERC and charges, but we decided to persue the charges first and then the ERC

6. Pending proper particulars, the particulars of claim are denied, save as admitted herein.

7. It is denied that any term or terms of the said mortgage are unenforceable. If, which is denied, any such terms are unenforceable, then it is averred that the claimed as treated the said terms as binding upon him by his payment of charges.

8. It is denied that the claimant is entitled to the relief sought or any relief.

Well thats all of it, just have to hope there is enough time for us to fill out the AQ now as im prepared to fight!!!

You would normally get two weeks to return the AQ, so you may have to arrange something else if you are going to be away.

Aside from that, this defence looks to be perfectly standard but it might be wise to draft a reply and include a revised copy of what you are actually claiming.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, have arrived home to the AQ and had one day to complete it and get it to the local court - which is now done :)

But i have also had another letter from Northern Rock asking for further information under part 18.

This time they are requesting

1. Particularise each and every charge of which the claimant seeks to be returned in these proceedings

2. Particularise each and every breach of contract which allegedly gave rise to the said charges.

3. In relation to each of the said charges, particularise which term or terms of the mortgage the defendant (or other contractual document) is said to be unenforcable.

4. In relation to each of the said charges, paricularise what, if anything, the claimant considers to be the defendants loss.

5. In relation to each of the said term or terms, particularise why they are said to be unenforcable.

6. Particularise how the claim for interest is calculated.

Im slightly confused with what they are asking for as I have sent some of this information before hand. I have sent them a breakdown of charges more then 5 times now and so they know which charges im after considering they sent me the statements!

Still a bit jet lagged so cant get my head around how im supposed to particularise what i think thier loses are at present - but i have a few days so hopefully my brain will get back to normal before im supposed to reply...lol

A CPR Part 18 request is usually another stalling tactic but should be taken seriously. How much is your claim now since you have decided to go for the charges first and the ERC later?

If it is likely to be allocated to the small claims track CPR Part 18 does not usually apply and in any case, you need only repy to requests from the Court - not from the Defendant.

Try something like this, unless your claim is still over £5000 and you think that it might not be allocated to the small claims track.

Dear Sir

I Acknowledge the receipt of the defence posted on behalf of Northern Rock.

I am not prepared at this stage to answer the CPR Part 18 Request as I anticipate that the claim will be allocated to the small claims track and would not then expect to have to deal with a Part 18 request since these are specifically excluded under Part 27 unless the court orders me to do so of its own initiative.

Furthermore I consider that the CPR part 18 request is intimidatory and I intend to bring the intimidation to the notice of the court. However, for clarity, I confirm the charges I am claiming were applied to the following account:

Account Name:

Account number:

Sort Code:

Please also find enclosed a breakdown of all charges I am claiming.

Yours Faithfully

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this morning received a letter from NR in response to the letter I wrote above (thanks hagenuk)

As your claim has not yet been allocated to the small caims track, a part 18 request is not excluded under CPR part 27. Northern Rock Plc requires you to particularise your claim as detailed in the part 18 request in order to enable it to defend your claim accordingly.

Simply sending the schedule of claim for charges - is not sufficent detail for your claim.

If Northern Rock does not receive a response to the part 18 request by 2nd Jan it will apply to the court to have your claim struck out.

Northern Rock strongly advises you take independant legal advice in respect of the above.

Anyone have any guidance on how to word a response?

Thanks and Merry Christmas Everyone :D:D

Obviously I have not seen your particulars of claim, but provided that they are from the templates on this site then I would be tempted to send something like this.

Dear

Claim No: 6XX00000

I am in receipt of your letter of (date) regarding the above claim.

I note that you assert that my particulars of claim fail to disclose reasonable grounds for bringing a claim against Northern Rock plc.

I find this most perplexing. My particulars of claim clearly identify the account contract to which I am referring. It is perfectly clear that the source of the monies which I am claiming is derived from money taken by Northern Rock plc in respect of my breaches of the account contract and further, I have supplied a detailed breakdown of the charges on a separate schedule. In addition I have explained why I consider that the charges are unenforceable at common law. Finally I have made clear the total figure that I am claiming.

I will add now that the recent Office of Fair Trading report concluded that bank penalty charges are indeed excessive and in breach of the common law because they exceed the actual costs caused by my breach. Furthermore, as I am sure you are aware, this practice was roundly criticised recently by Walter Merricks, Chief Ombudsman as he commented on the way that complaints over charges are being handled by the banks and he went on to state that the banks should either pay the claims in full or demonstrate that these charges are not penalties.

I have clearly identified and stipulated the following;

1. The contract

2. The term of the contract in question

3. The wrong which I say Northern Rock plc has committed

4. The amount of my damage suffered

I fail to see what else you expect to find in my particulars of claim. Furthermore I would say that your defence does not answer my particulars of claim in any way and therefore this letter which, I am copying to the Court, is my formal request to the Court to grant me a summary judgement for the entire sum claimed.

This is provided of course that you have stipulated the above information!

Thank you so much Hagenuk :)

I used a template from here and just changed it very slightly to cover the mortgage charges, I know that it must be fine as I used the same template to cover my court claim against Kensington and didnt have a problem :( I have just checked the moneyclaim wording and all those points are definately stipulated.

I will be posting that letter off the minute the post office opens again next week.

Once again thank you and Merry Christmas :D

Hang in there Mel, you've had some great advice already, just go get them girl.

I will not be held liable for any advice/comments given... if in any doubt please consult professional advice.

HBOS Acc1 - Small Claim Filed 31/07/06 - WON -21/8/06 - MCOL -06/09/06 - WON 13/09/06

HBOS acc2 -Small Claim Filed 02/08/06 - WON 13/09/06 - Round 2 Prelim Letter sent 14/09.06 - LBA sent 27/09/06 - MCOL 16/10/06

HBOS acc3 Prelim Letter sent 14/09/06 - LBA sent 27/09/06 - MCOL 16/10/06

Hi again ;)

Well we just phoned the local court to see how long the cases are progressing. Also was worried as we had not received a copy of the AQ from NR.

Was astounded to be told that they only received the AQ yesterday!!! Surely it should have been in the same date as our (13th Dec.).

Is there anything we can do about it being so late??

• 3 months later...

Thought I would update quickly as we had a hearing today with Northern Rock.

Bascially the strike out NR had asked for was rejected.

The draft directions are to be used as the directions for the case.

And the judge has transferred the case to the mercantile court.

Zoot have tried to PM you but you are full, can you spare a little space for me please :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thought I would update and gain a little advice from you guys:

We were transferred to the Mercantile but the paperwork was lost inbetween courts. It now transpires that Mercantile will no longer accept bank charge cases and are sending them all to the London County Court.

As you may remember we were issued with the directions from this forum, we completed the bundle and sent in the information. As of Last Friday none of the courts that had dealt or was dealing with the case claimed to have received a defence. So this week the case went in front of Judge Mackie QC. He replied that because the paperwork was missing he was unable to pass a judgement but recommended that we correspond with Northern Rock and informing them that because of non compliance we considered the case struck out and required payment.

Sent them an email, only to be informed that the defence had been sent to the London County Court of the 12th June.

Now the problem we have is that the order required the defence to be in on or before the 10th June.

They were also required to breakdown costs but the only thing I can find in response is this:

"The defendant will adduce evidence to show that the charges are a genuine attempt to estimate in advance the loss which the defendant would be likely to suffer. In the first month when a mortgage account falls into arrears at least one letter, and sometimes up to three letters are sent to the customer. In the second month, further letters are sent out enclosing documents from FSA. In the first and second months, the arrears charge is £25. After the account has been in arrears for two months, counsellors can be sent to visit the defaulting customers. Once the account has been in arrears for three months, the defendant may being proceedings although this depends on individual circumstances. Once the account has been in arrears for three months or more, the arrears charge is £55. During the period in which an account is in arrears, the defendant contracts the customer continually by telephone and by letter in order to determine the reason for arrears, to negotiate repayment of the arrears and to bring the account up to date. All this requires the defendant to employ staff especially dedicated to this task and to pay for the attendant costs of doing so. Father, given the number of customers who have mortgages with the defendant, it is impossible to estimate precisely the likely loss in each case but the charges are a genuine attempt to do so".

So do we ask for judgement on the fact the defence was late, or would this be viewed as being unreasonable and therefore turned down.

Or should we also use the costs issue, as I dont know if the above actually constitues a breakdown.

Any help would be much appricated

Ok just bumping as really need an answer to this one :(

Also although they say they will produce evidence we have recieved nothing breaking down the costs.

Ok just bumping as really need an answer to this one :(

Also although they say they will produce evidence we have recieved nothing breaking down the costs.

Hey again meled

trying to get head around this. If thats their defence, all they are doing is stating their T & C's, the usual rubbish.They wont produce anything to back it up. Sorry but i dont know the answer to the rest but i'll be watching

Good luck

CM

Templates Library

GE Capital Won

Capital 0ne Won

Northern rock Claim stayed working on negotiation

HSBC personal claim 1 ''WON''.

£1800 plus full stat interest plus costs.

Claim started 14/02/07 offer 3/07/07

Next:Coming soon to a thread near you! :)

HSBC personal Part 2 'return of the Celicaman'

HSBC business 1 ' my empire strikes back' N1 claim POC in progress after usual offensive offer from bank

HSBC business 2 'attack of the Celicaman'

HSBC business claim 3 'bank account menace'

HSBC business 4 'Revenge of the CAG Member' the final insult ....................... 'Maybe'

Thought I would update and gain a little advice from you guys:

We were transferred to the Mercantile but the paperwork was lost inbetween courts. It now transpires that Mercantile will no longer accept bank charge cases and are sending them all to the London County Court.

As you may remember we were issued with the directions from this forum, we completed the bundle and sent in the information. As of Last Friday none of the courts that had dealt or was dealing with the case claimed to have received a defence. So this week the case went in front of Judge Mackie QC. He replied that because the paperwork was missing he was unable to pass a judgement but recommended that we correspond with Northern Rock and informing them that because of non compliance we considered the case struck out and required payment.

Sent them an email, only to be informed that the defence had been sent to the London County Court of the 12th June.

Now the problem we have is that the order required the defence to be in on or before the 10th June.

They were also required to breakdown costs but the only thing I can find in response is this:

"The defendant will adduce evidence to show that the charges are a genuine attempt to estimate in advance the loss which the defendant would be likely to suffer. In the first month when a mortgage account falls into arrears at least one letter, and sometimes up to three letters are sent to the customer. In the second month, further letters are sent out enclosing documents from FSA. In the first and second months, the arrears charge is £25. After the account has been in arrears for two months, counsellors can be sent to visit the defaulting customers. Once the account has been in arrears for three months, the defendant may being proceedings although this depends on individual circumstances. Once the account has been in arrears for three months or more, the arrears charge is £55. During the period in which an account is in arrears, the defendant contracts the customer continually by telephone and by letter in order to determine the reason for arrears, to negotiate repayment of the arrears and to bring the account up to date. All this requires the defendant to employ staff especially dedicated to this task and to pay for the attendant costs of doing so. Father, given the number of customers who have mortgages with the defendant, it is impossible to estimate precisely the likely loss in each case but the charges are a genuine attempt to do so".

So do we ask for judgement on the fact the defence was late, or would this be viewed as being unreasonable and therefore turned down.

Or should we also use the costs issue, as I dont know if the above actually constitues a breakdown.

Any help would be much appricated

Hi

I have had a good read of your thread and hope I can help in a small way.

Why did the case go before a Judge this week? Was that the Allocation hearing? If so and you have received the orders from that hearing (to contact NR and tell them blah blah) then I suggest you email NR again and tell them the AQ was received late (as they will be aware) and the court has ordered you to contact them with regards to non compliance, scan the order into the email for clarity.

If you have not received an order from the court I would write to the Court Manager naming Judge Mackie QC and court case number and give them a breakdown of what has happened since the hearing and state you are applying for an order to be made to strike out the Defence on the grounds of non compliance. Explain you have received correspondance from NR but is it not what was required by the order. Also explain about the lateness of the AQ. You are not being unreasonable...the court puts orders into place for a reason not for NR et al to ignore. Make sure you send a copy of this letter to NR.

The "breakdown" you have received is not good enough (and I have dealt with this in the last paragraph) A breakdown shoud show the costs incurred, how they calculated the costs to be charged and what those charges cover in respect of actual losses / costs to NR.

Hope this helps a little

• 2 months later...

I am pleased to say I can finally say this case is settled :D

This case has dragged on much longer then needed in my opinion

We obtained a judgement back in June against Northern Rock as they had failed to comply with the judges directions

They (as expected) put in for a strike out application and we have since had to sit back and wait for a court day.

Last week we were informed that the court date would be last Friday, and suddenly Northern Rock agreed to settle (for slightly less) on the grounds that it would cost them to much to defend

I was glad to settle to be honest as this has been a very long drawn out case, were I believe they played the legal system to thier time and advantage :evil:

But thankfully its now over :D

sorry to through a random thought in here, i am all over the place on this site. charging order about to be placed on property, i am determined they will not do it. trying to defer case. can i go for costs while this is happening? they have hammered me for two previous mortgages that were without arrears but had ercs, current mortgage is slapped with everything under the sun, arrears, consultant charges etc. my question remains, can i do this when they have got to the ccj bit (not even sure if there is a ccj but i am presuming they have done this). i am struggling with all this. there has to be some way i can 'repay' there tolerance and understanding? lol. so frustrated with there bullying.

molly47

molly