DUI of Cannabis | Expected Fine

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1682 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I’m enquiring today about a recent DUI charge I got

I was arrested on the 1st of February for driving while intoxicated with cannabis.

I’ve received my court date for the 8th July to go and plead guilty for the case. Obviously I was under the influence and over the limit but I’m unsure if a solicitor is needed or not due to me pleading guilty anyway.

What sort of fine should I expect. Friends have had £100 before but not too sure. It’s my first offence and I’m on long term sick pay for 4 months.

you can check your insurance policy but i wouldnt hold out too much hope as you intend to plead guilty so not a lot they can add to make it worthwhile.

best be contrite and make sure you can show what your earnings actually are.

Do you realise that if you have been charged under Section 5A of the Road Traffic Act you face a mandatory twelve month driving ban? As well as that, the offence carries a maximum of six month's custody for the most serious cases. What were your friends who were fined £100 accused of? Were they driving?

Edited by Man in the middle

Doubt very much he would go to custody for it. Unless the OP was driving erratically,  has been in trouble before for it,  or had a very heavy reading. 

However,  you can definitley expect a heavy fine,  ban and points on your licence.   Probably an extended retest as well as having to go on a course.

Even if you do please guilty.

Edited by renegadeimp

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I was taken to the station for blood tests and forced to get an Uber back. My charge letter says

“Contary to section 5A(1)(a) and (2) of the road traffic act 1988 and schedule 2 to the road traffic offenders act 1988”

1 hour ago, DiddlyDoo23 said:

I was taken to the station for blood tests and forced to get an Uber back. My charge letter says

“Contary to section 5A(1)(a) and (2) of the road traffic act 1988 and schedule 2 to the road traffic offenders act 1988”

Then you will be subject to a minimum 12 month disqualification.

No, custody is not likely. But as well as the disqualification you can expect a fine (of somewhat more than £100) or possibly a community order if there are aggravating circumstances or the reading was high. You will not have any points imposed (you can only have a ban or points, not both). There is no mandatory re-test for the offence and the court is unlikely to order a discretionary one.  

SO theyre charging you with the serious offence.

I suggest you find and speak to a solicitor asap.  You shoudl really have asked for the duty solicitor when you were at the station. You may please guilty thinking youll get a lesser punishment, but solicitors know the judges and ins and outs of it all, they may be able to provide some mitigation.

Right now, i can pretty much guarantee youre looking at a strong punishment.  Courts do NOT like people DUI for any reason.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

No, custody is not likely. But as well as the disqualification you can expect a fine (of somewhat more than £100) or possibly a community order if there are aggravating circumstances or the reading was high. You will not have any points imposed (you can only have a ban or points, not both). There is no mandatory re-test for the offence and the court is unlikely to order a discretionary one. 

I politely disagree. I live in north wales. One of the worst areas for courts handing down harsh driving punishments.  In the newspapers and on the polices own social media feeds, we regularly see poeple getting charged for DUI etc.  And yes, even after a ban, a court COULD add on points after the ban has been lifted.  They can and normally also do order extended retests after someone has been on a ban, plus  in some cases courses.

I wouldnt say it if it doesnt already happen in some areas.

Quite honestly there is nothing a solicitor can do that you cannot do yourself if you are pleading guilty. However, since the offence is imprisonable you will be able to take advantage of the duty solicitor at your first hearing only. If it goes to a second or subsequent hearing you will be either on your own or you will have to pay for representation.

And yes, even after a ban, a court COULD add on points after the ban has been lifted.

Perhaps you could point me to the legislation that provides for that to be done.

Thanks guys. I don’t think I’m actually going to get a solicitor then as I don’t think they’d fight a case I am pleading guilty too. I’ve done wrong and I’m paying the consequences for it.

Im going to write a letter to read out as I’ve been on Sick pay since May with a broken arm so hopefully my Fee will be smaller.

Court date is the 8th July so wish me luck 🤞🏼

If you dont want to use a solicitor ( i suggest you get there the second the court opens and speak to a duty solicitor anyway, just to get their take on things), plead guilty, be very apologetic and be totally truthful.  They have heard every excuse going, so they will see right through you if you start throwing in hyperbole.

Edited by renegadeimp

Court will be open a little earlier, and duties are first come first served/  . I suggest you speak to the duty solictor, even in you dont intend to use them as representation in the court room. As stated already,  you have very possible high penalties for what you have done.  A good solicitor can mitigate that more than you could  admitting it with a letter.

Edited by renegadeimp

• 2 months later...

Diddlydoo, just wondering how you got on in court? What was the outcome?

Santander PPI X 2 **WON** claims on behalf of son (Oct 2010/ Mar 2011)

Citicard O/H (PPI) - **WON** Compound Interest Dec 2011

Citicard O/H (Charges) Bailiffs sent in August 2012

Barclaycard - **WON** Compound Interest Oct 2011

Monument - account information being sought for OH

Citicard - self - N1 submitted August 2012

Barclaycard - self - **WON** damages for non disclosure/information now rec'd. Aug 2012

Barclaycard - relation - Failed SAR sent 29/09/11

Halifax SAR sent 18/08/2011 for relation

LTSB - SAR sent 09/08/2011 for friend

37 minutes ago, Shelley181146 said:

Diddlydoo, just wondering how you got on in court? What was the outcome?

I plead guilty and then was fined £235 including court expenses etc + a 12-month ban. 

I didn't get a solicitor and just used the duty solicitor at the court. 

Do you mind me asking what your reading was please?

Barclaycard - self - **WON** damages for non disclosure/information now rec'd. Aug 2012

Oh! so a good outcome then in that respect?

We can all make mistakes, hopefully it wont impact on your employment moving forward.

Thanks for sharing.