style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1702 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You're right about Blair, London. But as Boris and the ERG seem nostalgic about wartime spirit, Iran is a worry.

Funnily enough, the European club we've insulted and want to see the back of aren't rushing to back us up. Then again, neither is Trump, having lured us into the Iran problem.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Iran have only done it because they know we are an international joke, right now.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

1 hour ago, London1971 said:

Don't think Iraq did too much for Tony Blair's popularity.

1. Blair didn't need a war - quite the opposite

2. Wasn't a Tory - despite what some say

Johnson needs one, idolises (however falsely) Churchill

and desperately needs something to take the mind of all the people he has been and will continue to lie to,

off the simple fact that he is lying to everyone, always has been and always will.

... aka pretty much everyone

Role on a libdem government and

The Tories getting rid of Johnson and the voters getting rid of a raft of the ERG

and Labour destroyed because jihadi Jezz will NEVER give up power. Stalin would never forgive him.

You know what IS patriotic?

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Record low: living standards and investment

Crumbling Hospitals, schools, council services, businesses and roads

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children

Oh and just in case everyone missed it

The Tories confirm PFI mark 2

.. as the taxpayers debts incurred in PFI mark 1 just aren't profitable enough for their private sector pals.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jul/23/new-uk-nuclear-plants-government-cost

Who says government is getting nothing done while Brexit hangs over us all like the sword of Damocles?

" The government has confirmed plans for consumers to begin paying for new nuclear reactors before they are built, and for taxpayers to pay a share of any cost overruns or construction delays. "

Costs to the taxpayer, profits to the private sector.

Edited by tobyjugg2

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children

Heres a thought.

None of us can see how Johnson can deliver anything of what he promises - not that that would ever be a problem for him

Neither can we see how he can remain in power with his stated stance

But he perhaps could stay in power by jumping ship to Remain as it does seem that Remain is now  a majority both in Parliament (once led) and among the wider voters.

It sin't jumping ship for him - its just the latest incarnation of Johnsons one man lifeboat.

.. and he will be aware that no one want Corbyn if they can avoid it.

(Corbyn is clearly relying on Johnson to get power)

Can anyone else see a route for him?

Heck - he could even end up in history as the man who saved us

😕

.. and just upset a minority of hard core leavers who will always be upset whatever happens anyway ...

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

I can't believe how many ministers have resigned, retired or been sacked, I think we're up to 16 now. Laura Kuenssberg says it's a whole new government.

How likely is it that there will be a no confidence vote tomorrow?

Very little

The SNP + Libdems can't call one,

and Corbyn wont unless he's forced into it - he wants Brexit before a General election

- and few think he can win anyway - even against Johnson

Bl**dy farce.- which is entirely appropriate as the court fool now has the crown and there's something at least as bad waiting in the wings.

We had Cameron, and thought - its got to get better

Then we had May, and thought surely it can't get any worse.

Now we have Johnson, and we can't see how its ever going to get better..

• Like 3

The Tory Legacy

Corbyn needs an election before Brexit, otherwise the election is in 2022. When Corbyn will be too old and most likely won't be leader anyway.

Corbyn is probably in favour of Brexit, but also wants power to implement his politics.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

They're saying that Boris doesn't want an election before Brexit.

Meanwhile some surveys are saying that a lot of people have changed their minds about leaving, as I understand it. Could that be why Boris doesn't want an election or a new referendum?

40 minutes ago, honeybee13 said:

Are you a fan of Trump, Surfer?

Most definitely as he is one of the best presidents they have had in a long time.  He is straight forward and does not beat around the bush unlike most of our politicians.  He may not have the finesse required but he does things right.  I am sure that he will win the next election probably with a majority this time.

1 hour ago, Surfer01 said:

Most definitely as he is one of the best presidents they have had in a long time.  He is straight forward and does not beat around the bush unlike most of our politicians.  He may not have the finesse required but he does things right.  I am sure that he will win the next election probably with a majority this time.

Trump most certainly doesn't beat around the bush.  Good president? We'll he's certainly offended a lot of people.  At least he's not started a disastrous  Middle East War yet, which makes him a little bit less worse than'W.  History, as with all leaders will be the ultimate judge.

On 24/07/2019 at 22:17, honeybee13 said:

They're saying that Boris doesn't want an election before Brexit.

Meanwhile some surveys are saying that a lot of people have changed their minds about leaving, as I understand it. Could that be why Boris doesn't want an election or a new referendum?

lets consider Johnsons problems

1. Parliament does NOT want a no deal

2. Johnson has NO mandate from the electrate

-

1. is unlikely to change apart from getting more out of Johnson Favour

2. Depending on which pole you believe - the country is getting more (perhaps VERY significantly more) in favour of remain.

Whats in Johnsons favour

1. He's uniting the Brextiters, at the Brexit parties expense, which Farage is probably in favour of.

2. Corbyn.

3 The split Remain vote between Labour/Libdems and Greens

So with Corbyn an obvious Leaver - that plays into Johnsons hands,

and if Corbyn is forced to come out as remain - few would believe him and it still splits the remain vote in a general election scenario

The Tory Legacy

On 25/07/2019 at 13:54, Surfer01 said:

What are you talking about? He won the last election with a majority.

Facts, experts, evidence based policies etc. Who needs these ?

Just divide and conquer !

Politics has moved into an era of social media soundbite, emotion based manipulation of voters, where they are attempting to win over certain types of people. 

I am hoping that this is only a temporary phase and politics will return to intelligent arguments about what policies would actually benefit most people.

48 minutes ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

I am hoping that this is only a temporary phase and politics will return to intelligent arguments about what policies would actually benefit most people.

I'm afraid even hope has flown out of my Pandora's box.  I think we have to accept we are stuck with social media being the normal medium for what now passes as news.  He who controls social media controls the world.

Edited by hightail
typo

1 hour ago, Surfer01 said:

I think you need to check your facts.

The facts are he won his election in 2016 with a majority of 46 Republican seats in the House of Representatives and 6 in the Senate.

It may be you are getting confused with the mid term elections in 2018 (in which he didn't win as he didn't take part due to it only applying to some seats in the House and Senate) when the Democrats took the majority in the House.

7 hours ago, tobyjugg2 said:

lets consider Johnsons problems

1. Parliament does NOT want a no deal

2. Johnson has NO mandate from the electrate

-

1. is unlikely to change apart from getting more out of Johnson Favour

2. Depending on which pole you believe - the country is getting more (perhaps VERY significantly more) in favour of remain.

Whats in Johnsons favour

1. He's uniting the Brextiters, at the Brexit parties expense, which Farage is probably in favour of.

2. Corbyn.

3 The split Remain vote between Labour/Libdems and Greens

So with Corbyn an obvious Leaver - that plays into Johnsons hands,

and if Corbyn is forced to come out as remain - few would believe him and it still splits the remain vote in a general election scenario

As much as it pains me to say, in the last few days I have come to the conclusion that Boris Johnson is eminently more electable than Jeremy Corbyn, he's a far better campaigner, and we are going to have a No deal Brexit.

15 hours ago, cjcregg said:

The facts are he won his election in 2016 with a majority of 46 Republican seats in the House of Representatives and 6 in the Senate.

It may be you are getting confused with the mid term elections in 2018 (in which he didn't win as he didn't take part due to it only applying to some seats in the House and Senate) when the Democrats took the majority in the House.

That maybe correct but check the facts on the number of votes. BTW I am a Trump fa and long may he reign.

9 hours ago, Surfer01 said:

That maybe correct but check the facts on the number of votes. BTW I am a Trump fa and long may he reign.

If you're referring to the popular vote (Clinton got 3m more total votes than Trump) it's irrelevant as the US employs the electoral college system.