• Tweets

• Thanks very much Bank. I have topped and tailed my LOC and printed off a copy which I shall post tomorrow by First Class post at my local post office and also obtain a proof of postage. I'll also email them a copy. I've opened a MoneyClaim account, and shall now begin work on my draft Particulars of Claim which I shall post here for your thoughts. And I shan't be using the Moderation service.
    • Yes, it struck me this morning that I'd got it wrong    - no involvement of UKPPO in any previous Tesco thread    - there would have been an entrance sign to a Tesco car park    - CCTV isn't something associated with Tesco car parks. Presumably whoever runs the car park has put CCTV at the electric, and probably BB, areas, done absolutely nothing to stop abuse, and then rubs their hands in glee every time the CCTV catches a motorist out. You can pay £60 and this will go away. Or you can defy UKPPO and rely on their non-respect of POFA, consideration period, etc., should they be daft enough to do court later down the line.  We would support you all the way.
    • thats not the way to do it sorry. sorry so what is your problem? that vanquis paid the £560 or that they are now chasing it? how old is this debt? dx  
    • If you visited Qatar you could be detained at the border, if the debt has been notified.  If you are only in transit and do not seek to cross border into Qatar you might be ok, but you may want to seek formal advice about this.
    • Howdy, I had a short lived credit card with Vanquis that I did not need. I paid it off in full and called them and closed it with the person at the other end. 2 months later they started sending me messages about late payments, I called them and to find out that the card had not been closed in error and 6 weeks after it should have been closed they paid a google debit of £560. I hit the roof and made a formal complaint that took them well over a month to respond to. They agreed they were at fault, refunded all late payments fees and offered me £100 in compensation. However they said the debit amount stood as 'I had benefit from it' and I should get a refund from google. I hit the roof again but they have stuck to their guns. The debit from google is a genuine one but I wanted to dispute it with google so closed the card so they would have to engage with me. But surely that's neither here nor there surely? What is the next step? Ombudsman takes forever doesn't it?  thanks in advance
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Housing Assoc changed door lock without notice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1649 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

problem is all the "can"'s and "if"'s dont apply to this individual. The law doesnt say the tenancy will automatically pass to someone who doesnt live there.

It is all very well quoting an organisations guides but of no real use when they arent applicable. it still goes back to the fact that he was never registered as a tenant or joint tenant.

The person had plenty of opportunity to correct the shortfalls in his situation but didnt

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ericsbrother said:

problem is all the "can"'s and "if"'s dont apply to this individual. The law doesnt say the tenancy will automatically pass to someone who doesnt live there.

It is all very well quoting an organisations guides but of no real use when they arent applicable. it still goes back to the fact that he was never registered as a tenant or joint tenant.

The person had plenty of opportunity to correct the shortfalls in his situation but didnt

Another person who doesn't a clue on lawfully possessions  and succession rights,  I never said "tenancy will automatically pass to someone who doesn't live there"

See what OP has to say anyway, if they reply.................................

Good afternoon.

Edited by 45002
good afternoon

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

That's an interesting thread. 

HA is in Devon. Council was fully aware of situation, and advised in writing only single occupancy for council tax.

Continuously on electoral roll so there is definite first hand evidence. Bank statements, landline telephone bill. Every annual gas / safety check (bar most recent) son was always present.

His work was down the road, but since the place closed, he's had to take his skills on the road. Often staying overnight at clients expense - so no receipts for him - both in UK and abroad.

As an example - oil rig workers on six month contacts don't pay council tax *unless* sole occupier - as far as I understand it. Surprisingly common for some workers in Devon.

He had a two week residential training course the week the changed the locks and a gifted holiday, so will likely have been away three out of the last four weeks.

No correspondence was received from HA nor were any substantial answerphone messages - the usual 'Call us back' on a number that is prohibitively expensive on PAYG.

He's been asked to call that same number to arrange a call back - £35 for an on-hold message before his credit ran out. 

It's all less than ideal and is putting a great strain on the son.

Find something to enjoy every day.

[20190624]

Hello tallorder

Did the HA post any notices through the door or stick on the door a notice saying they where going to take possession of the property, before they changed the locks ?

Do you know or can you find out, how long it was from the mother passing away till HA change the locks ?

Someone needs to contact local county court or by telephone and find out did the HA had a valid possession order or not when they change the locks ?

And what did happened to All the mothers belonging ?

Cheers...

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

• 1 month later...

No notices were posted

The mother passed away October 2018 and locks changed late June 2019

The son has contract work, which is still continuing this month

He and I have tried daily to call but never get to first spot on queue before other constraints take over

No idea about county court, but very doubtful as it seemed to happen after boiler safety check 

Is being told to call the HA and last email reply was talk of not being tenant so can’t discuss arrears and advise not paying further rent. They want to arrange collection of belongings and (then?) issue Notice to Quit

It’s all getting a bit much for them, so he’s taking a sick day to go to CAB Today. He’s due overseas next Monday until September.

[20190624]

As i said previously the son is not considered a tenant because he's not registered there.

Nothing he can do imo rather than collect his stuff and find another place.

Unless he's ready to break the lock and enter the property, at risk of being arrested.

• Like 1

Wouldn't he be faced with court action to claim back decades of over paid housing benefit which was claimed as a single occupier by his mother?

If he managed to get back into the property that is - or maybe even if he didn't having drawn attention to what is in fact benefit fraud on a grand scale.

Edited by Raven1

13 hours ago, tallorder said:

No notices were posted

The mother passed away October 2018 and locks changed late June 2019

The son has contract work, which is still continuing this month

He and I have tried daily to call but never get to first spot on queue before other constraints take over

No idea about county court, but very doubtful as it seemed to happen after boiler safety check 

Is being told to call the HA and last email reply was talk of not being tenant so can’t discuss arrears and advise not paying further rent. They want to arrange collection of belongings and (then?) issue Notice to Quit

It’s all getting a bit much for them, so he’s taking a sick day to go to CAB Today. He’s due overseas next Monday until September.

So No notices posted and know they want to issue Notice to Quit after the HA already taken possession illegal IMHO !

Have you told us every think ?

12 hours ago, king12345 said:

As i said previously the son is not considered a tenant because he's not registered there.

Nothing he can do imo rather than collect his stuff and find another place.

Unless he's ready to break the lock and enter the property, at risk of being arrested.

Rachmanism spring to mind reading someone posts

No one ever suggested until till know that the son breaks in !

12 hours ago, Raven1 said:

Wouldn't he be faced with court action to claim back decades of over paid housing benefit which was claimed as a single occupier by his mother?

If he managed to get back into the property that is - or maybe even if he didn't having drawn attention to what is in fact benefit fraud on a grand scale.

But OP posted this below so where does benefit fraud on a grandscale come from ?

She had been advised by the council previously that it would be best to pay for a single occupant, even though they were aware of her son

as Posted  on June 24

2 hours ago, king12345 said:

I said that in my other post, but someone here thinks that it's ok to do that and than claim full tenancy rights.

Someone still  does Not understand  How to obtain lawfully possession of a property and  Succession rights !

Edited by 45002
quote missed out

When i read the OP,  i got the impression that the locks had been changed shortly after the tennants death but it has actually taken 8 months

That is 8 months that the son hasn't made any contact at all with the HA so as far as the HA is concerned the flat has been empty all that time

I have a few questions

Has there already been a successsion of the tenancy in the past

Why would the council tell the tenant to pay council tax as a single occupancy knowing it was another adults main home

Why and for how long was housing benefit paying the full rent despite a working adult living there

The poster said that "He and I have tried daily to call but never get to first spot on queue before other constraints take over" so for 8 months you didn't think it was worth waiting a bit longer on hold to actually speak to someone ?

As the mother had had the tenancy since 1977 it is possible the son has always lived there, If that is so, How long has the son lived there over the age of 18 and working, That would give an idea of the possible liability they would face if they were prosecuted for benefit fraud

As the son or poster have had no contact with the HA in 8 months, They wont know what process the HA have gone through to regain control of the flat, All we can say is it wasn't quick

Personally i think the son should cut his losses and go find somewhere else to live,  The deposit on a new flat would be hugely cheaper than a possible prosecution for benefit fraud and the possibility of a criminal record

• Like 1

Original tenancy agreements

I wonder if mothers rent was registered under 1977 Rent act

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1977/42/section/87

If it was they may copies of the original tenancy agreements on file along with the registered rent details and application forms which would be very usefully to the Son.

Their would have to be a paper search as on line records only go back as far 2008

https://ebusiness.voa.gov.uk/err/

or

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-register-fair-rents/search

The rent service know comes under VOA https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/valuation-office-agency

For E&W, Slightly different in Scotland and NI.

Edited by 45002
url added

Their would have to be a paper search as on line records only go back as far 2008

Whoops, On line records only go back to 2003

• 2 months later...

Tenancy was a secured tenancy from 1977 - I think a rent officer came round and registered appropriately.

They found out the rental was before the big changes that wiped out some significant protections.

The son became disabled and went off to university, paying council tax, rent share etc while there. 

His work year took him away from home intermittently, days, sometimes weeks at a time and on rare occasions a month or so. Part of his studies took him overseas for 3 months / 12 weeks at a time.

The whole story revolves around the last time his mother was admitted to hospital *before* the issue that ultimately caused her death after her final / subsequent hospital trip.

In the last 2 years before his mothers death he was trying to spend more time with her. She had saved money for a deposit to  purchase / part purchase the flat and told him he was registered. Her organisation skills meant cheques went uncashed, appointments were missed and documents covered in tea / food.

Since all this happened (and in part thanks to Brexit) his work has dried up and his business closed. He is now in the process of claiming benefits.

The first question - ADDRESS - is stopping him as he no longer knows what to do.

Any extra advice would be helpful.

[20190624]