negative balance in my paypal

MrAnon117
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1738 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hey guys.

my paypal account was recently limited as they found out I made the account when I was under 18

(Strange how they only bothered to bring it up once I'd had thousands in balance).

I'm not actually in any debt/negative balance yet but I will be, as I have a few thousand dollars worth of ebay sales to fulfill, and the money that was meant to pay for them was sent to my overseas partner, who I havent heard from yet.

soon what will happen is the buyers will open disputes,

then paypal will make them win,

and take the balance from me which will put me in to negative.

I'm estimating around 3-4 thousand dollars max

(I say dollars however I am based in the UK)

I already had cancelled the paypal agreement with my bank account before this, but I still have my debit card attached.

Im with Halifax.

I am also moving home in about a week, so the address they have on file will no longer be valid.

I read in some other threads about calling my bank to cancel the CPA with my debit card, should I do this?

has anyone got any advice of what I can do from here?

I do legitimately owe the money as i wont be able to provide the items for the ebay orders, but I can't pay it.

from what I've seen, there might be a good chance I can get away from this.

Would greatly appreciate any advice

im in a situation thats actually insanely similar to this, was selling on ebay with a 'partner' theyve now disappeared with most of the funds and Im going to get a negative balance, 

trying to understand what your problem is here?

you've yet to dispatch items that are already paid for by buyers?

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yes I have lots of orders from buyers that have paid, but i wont be able to dispatch their order. This will inevitably leading to them requesting a refund, which paypal will take from my account, leaving me with the negative balance because the money they paid is not there to pay it back.

why cant you send the items?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

What do you mean by 'partner'.  Why write it like this?

Something doesnt smell right.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I mean, he's not a partner in the legal sense of the word.

Just someone who I've chatted to online for a little while and had agreed to start working together (i do the listing/selling, he fulfills the orders)

in otherwords you got caught up in the well know sc@m on ebay.

if this is the case report the whole situation to ebay/paypal with all evidence you have on and off ebay/PP

and then forget about it.

and they

1 hour ago, dx100uk said:

in otherwords you got caught up in the well know sc@m on ebay.

if this is the case report the whole situation to ebay/paypal with all evidence you have on and off ebay/PP

and then forget about it.

I don't mean to bother you, but in other similar threads I've seen you saying that paypal basically can't touch me and will just write off the debts,..

but if I contact them and admit to all this stuff, isn't that me admitting I'm obliged to pay it?

Well if you have been tricked into some financial liability, I'm very sorry about it but what I see here is that you are now asking us for advice as to how escape your liabilities and leave your customers in the lurch.

Sorry but we don't do this.

1 hour ago, MrAnon117 said:

so its best to be completely honest? 

Yes

I'm making this thread as I apparently broke a rule in the other one I made, which confused me as I have seen other threads with exactly the same thing. I guess I must have worded something in a way that made it sound like I was looking to rip people off. That was not my intention. I copied the below from another thread and just modified it to fit my situation, in the hope I am now conforming to the rules.

Long story short,

I sold some items on my Ebay,

which a supplier was then supposed to send to them.

After around 5k of sales,

they took their cut (80% of the money) and vanished.

Now I'm left with a lot of angry buyers who will want a refund, and no money.

My PayPal account is connected to my bank still which I cannot remove since one buyer already opened a case against me, I have already cancelled the direct debit agreement with my bank, and am planning to write and get the CPA revoked as well.

I'm aware they may pass the case to a DCA.

What do I do?

Can they take me to court?

UK.

you havent broken any rules here other than falling foul of a very well know sc@m that happens on PP/Ebay 100's of times every day.

ok you were a bit nieve by falling for it as I expect they approached you via another social media  method?? or did you click the famous links going around facebook and twitter etc etc

its not right no that you want to take buyers for ride, and I cant believe you are 100% innocent in these schemes that appear so very obviously too good to be true...but when all is said and done its one of the reasons why ebay/paypal fled to luxy as they know our consumer rights cant apply to them and they still make money out of this scheme.....it's part of their worldwide business plan.

the buyer will get their moneyback..who's the loser..ebay!!

just make sure you block / stop all sources of your money too them.

cancelling your debit card with your bank does not cancel the CPA's.

• Like 1

and they

Thank you for the great detailed reply.

And yes, I wont cancel my card but write a letter to my bank requesting any and all CPAs with paypal to be cancelled.

And they legally HAVE to do this for me, if I understand correctly.

Is there any kind of letter template I could use?

I think I came across one but can't seem to find it now.

writing might be better as a follow up as that will take time.

GENERAL NOTES ON CHARGEBACK & Continuous Payment Authority & BACS 
 banks MUST follow written intructions from their customers !
CANCELLING YOUR DEBIT CARD DOES NOT STOP CPA'S
 This fsa guide has now been updated:
http://www.fsa.gov.uk/static/pubs/consumer_info/know_your_rights_guide.pdf
http://www.fca.org.uk/news/continuous-payment-authorities-your-right-to-cancel
https://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/unauthorised-payments-account
 Here's the text:
 Cancelling a regular
 card payment:
 When you give your credit or debit card details to a company and authorise them to take regular payments from your account, 
 such as for a gym membership or magazine subscription,
 it is known as a ‘recurring transaction’ or ‘continuous payment authority’.
These are often confused with direct debits, but do not offer the same guarantee if the amount or date of the payment changes.
 In most cases, regular payments can be cancelled by telling the company taking the payments. 
 However, 
 you have the right to cancel them directly with your bank or card issuer by telling it that you have stopped permission for the payments. 
 Your bank or card issuer must then stop them – it has no right to insist that you agree this first with the company taking the payments.
 Be aware, though, that you will still be responsible for paying any money that you owe.
and that CANCELLING YOUR CARD WILL NOT STOP THE CPA
 New june 2013
 Regulator orders Banks and mutuals to review complaints about not cancelling recurring payments from November 2009.
 Consumers who have set up a regular payment from their account will now be able to successfully cancel that arrangement 
 by contacting their card provider, the Financial Conduct Authority said.
 The FCA has been examining how easy it is for customers to cancel Continuous Payment Authorities (CPAs) 
 due either to payday lendersicon or for other regular payments such as subscriptions or gymicon memberships.
 CPAs, which are also commonly called recurring transactions or recurring payments, 
 are relatively easy to set up but can be hard to cancel, causing problems for consumers trying to manage their finances,the FCA said.
 Now, following the FCA review of how the largest high street banks and mutuals process requests to cancel CPAs, they have agreed that they will ensure that when 
 a customer asks for a recurring payment to end, that will be sufficient to cancel the arrangement. They have also confirmed that should a payment go through by 
 mistake following cancellation by a customer the customer will be refunded immediately.
 In addition to securing this commitment, the largest banks and mutuals have agreed to review every individual complaint they have received about the non-
 cancellation of a CPA and to pay redress where payments have continued to be made despite the customer cancelling the arrangement. This applies to all complaints 
 since November 2009 when the Financial Services Authority, the FCA’s predecessor, began regulating banking conduct.
 Clive Adamson, the FCA’s director of supervision, said: “It’s important that consumers are confident that banks are meeting their everyday banking needs. Today 
 customers can be confident that when they ask for a Continuous Payment Authority to be cancelled – it will be cancelled - and that it can be done easily. 
“We recognise that historically this is an area where some customers have struggled but the banks and mutuals have responded positively to our work on this issue. 
 From now on we expect them to be getting this right. In addition, they have committed to review past complaints.”
 Also mentioned your displeasure that as whomever took your money had obviously attempted this many times 
 probably activating your banks own anti fraud software - nobody had the decency to inform my you this was going on.?

.In the FSA's own words:
 What should I do about a payment from my account that I didn’t authorise?
 Your bank must refund an unauthorised transaction. 
 Money can only be taken from your account if you have authorised the transaction 
 or if your bank can prove you were at fault – 
see below.
 Contact your bank immediately if you notice an unauthorised payment from your account.
 If you are sure you did not authorise the payment, you can claim a refund. 
 However, your bank does not have to refund you if you do not tell it about the payment until 13 months
 or more after the date it left your account.
 Your bank must refund an unauthorised transaction
 ------------------
 Your bank may only refuse a refund for an unauthorised transaction if:
 ? it can prove you authorised the transaction 
– though your bank cannot simply say that use of your password, 
 card and PIN proves you authorised a payment; or
 ? it can prove you are at fault because you acted fraudulently, 
 or because you deliberately, 
 or with gross negligence, failed to protect the details of your card, PIN or password in a way that allowed the transaction
 -----------------------
 How quickly must my bank refund me for an unauthorised transaction?
 The bank must make the refund immediately unless it has evidence that one of the above reasons applies. 

Your bank may ask you to answer some questions and fill out a form confirming what has happened, 
 but it cannot delay your refund while it waits for you to return the form.

If the bank has evidence that one of the above reasons for refusing a refund applies, 
 it may investigate before making a refund 
 but must look into it as quickly as possible. 

If your bank rejects your claim for a refund it should explain why.
 If the transaction was on a credit card, the refund may not happen immediately. 

But the card issuer cannot charge interest or ask for repayment of the amount unless it can prove you are liable to pay

and they

No.   get it sent in writing.  For chargeback,  you take a short letter in to your branch and get the manager there to copy it and sign/date it to ensure its recieved and they cannot back out of their responsibilities .

Not over the phone.  You have a paper trail then, and it will go to the correct department

Edited by renegadeimp
  • Like 1

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

its not for a chargeback..but for stopping the CPA

as i said above....writing might be better as a follow up as that will take time.

phone is instant.

• Like 1

and they

no...simply.

but yes they are.

one is the selling platform

the other today is nothing more than a type of western union setup.

and they

Stop worrying.

• Like 1

I am following dx's initial advice and reporting to paypal the whole incident. If they still try and enforce me to make payments I will follow the other advice, and I am cancelling the CPA now anyway just in case.