Jediskywalker1976

Would I be entitled to redundancy?

Hello

I have been working for a small company Ltd for 20 years. The business owner is probably going to franchise the business. 

I have been asked if I’m interested and responded by saying I would need to see the figures. The truth is I’m not really interested in the franchise and I know he has offered it to someone else. I do not want to work for anyone else or help them build the business by using me and then getting rid of me. 

If the business was franchised would I be entitled redundancy?

I am a manager and the business is now only profitable if the owner runs it as their own, the cost of paying a manager are to high.

You would be entitled to either redundancy, or to be TUPEd over. If they want to keep you, it's TUPE and you don't get a choice.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

What if I had evidence to suggest they want to keep me short term and then the new owner make me redundant. Would I lose 20 years of entitlement and any rights of being with the business for 20 years?

TUPE means you keep your continuity of service.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1655

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

so why do you NOT want the franchise?  It seems like you could make more of a success out of it than anyone else so why the negativity about this offer and you current job?

If you are right about the finances you should be able to buy out your boss for very little as your redundancy will cover an awful lot of the cost