Police Keep Stopping Me When Drving

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1704 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Which is what I said, but you seem to have gone off on a slight tangent.

The OP needs to be sure that she has all the correct docs V5, insurance etc, because if the insurance people haven't updated MIDS or she still hasn't informed DVLA then the database the Police use will also be out of date.

Its a simple phone call to insurance company and DVLA and then she has a case if they are all as she says to make a complaint.

I sort of agree with jotty.

If I were the mother I would first check and reassure myself that the V5C and insurance certificate are all in order, and I would keep copies of them on my person whenever I'm driving the car.  (I was going to suggest keeping them in the car, but that's probably not a good idea).

I'd also be making sure that nobody else is able to use the car without my knowledge (wonder if this may be part of the problem?).

Depending on how many times and how frequently I'm getting stopped, I'd be making a written complaint to the Chief Constable about it, also pointing out that any "intelligence" they think they may have about the car is clearly out of date, and the police are therefore wasting their own time and resources on information that has no value.  Keep a copy; get free certificate of first class posting at post office.

This all seems very irregular to me unless (1) there's something going on in relation to the car that the mother is (hopefully) unaware of, or (2) the police have some sort of vendetta.  I suppose a third alternative is a SNAFU cock up.

I would also consider copying in the local Police and Crime Commissioner - I'm sure they would be interested in the potential waste and mis-direction of police resources caused by the use of out of date info (if that's what the problem is).

• Like 1

it is a matter of incorrect data and the processing of that and how it impinges upon the persons right to enjoyment of their property which is why I said a formal complaint.

the police have to answer to the ICO with regard the fairness of their decisions taken as a result of their use of the data.

I would say that a marker on the vehicle staying active is unfair processing of the keeper's personal data when they have made it abundantly clear they are not the person of interest and a check with the DVLA would show this to be the case.

This is where the association factors come into play though

Many assumptions here, is the intel correct ?

Even if its out of date the original intel was correct it just may have not been updated.

This could be because the car is still registered to the banned driver or the insurance company haven’t told the Police.

So not an issue for the ICO, and any Police markers will not show on DVLA records. 

On 23/06/2019 at 21:07, Manxman in exile said:

I suppose this is a stupid question, but is the current owner definitely the Registered Keeper with the DVLA (and not still the grandson's former girlfriend)?  It's not clear how the grandson's mother had ownership transferred to her from the girlfriend.

I find it hard to believe that the police keep stopping her if they've been made aware of the situation, and it's sometimes the same police officers doing it who know the background.

There must be some reason for this to be happening.

Sorry I have not responded to anyone just back off holiday, and this very thought came to mind and it appears that DVLA never put the log book in daughter in laws name. Today the log book was updated thanks very much for the input

So the former g/f (in whose name it was registered if I follow correctly) gets a refund of prepaid Road Tax.

I'm glad it's sorted for your Daughter in Law. But remind her she now owes tax for June.

On 24/06/2019 at 13:27, jotty said:

Which is what I said, but you seem to have gone off on a slight tangent.

The OP needs to be sure that she has all the correct docs V5, insurance etc, because if the insurance people haven't updated MIDS or she still hasn't informed DVLA then the database the Police use will also be out of date.

Its a simple phone call to insurance company and DVLA and then she has a case if they are all as she says to make a complaint.

Oddly she has had no trouble taxing it she is disabled

2 hours ago, jotty said:

Not sure what your point is, sorry.

Just that I thought with log book might not being in her name she might not have been able to tax it anyway the log book was sorted out Friday so hopefully all is good now

• 1 month later...

Update Daughter in Law had a motability vehicle as the gear box went on her previous vehicle she had this around 7 weeks, Police stopped her in it last week stating her paper work might not be in order, Daughter in law said it must be because it was a motability vehicle officer was very nice he said they had received a call from someone to state paper work might not be in order.

Daughter in Law feels this is her neighbour who as made various offensive comments when he as seen her getting in the vehicle, referring to her not working and he has to to afford a car.

Daughter in Law told the Police officer of the 4 other stops she had in the previous vehicle he has recommended she write a complaint to the Police as he said it is amounting to harassment.

Any advice on who she should address the letter to and what to mention in it would be appreciated, my son as mental health and it is having a detrimental affect on his health keep being stopped, surely now they know it is a motability and that it has all the required insurance and tax and Daughter in Laws licence is fine there should be no reason to keep stopping them, we did wonder if there was a marker on the vehicle? if there is no idea why.

First, I'm a bit surprised that your local police force has the manpower and time to waste chasing up a complaint from a member of the public that a motability car's paperwork may not be in order, bearing in mind that most forces can't be bothered to follow up reported burglaries, if stories in the popular press are to be believed.  But if that's what the police officer has told you, that's what he's told you.

If you want to follow up his suggestion to make a complaint, check your local force's website for how to do so.  Or (bearing in mind the history of problems that you've had before) write straight to the Chief Constable (website again).

Simply say you want to make a complaint about the number of times your daughter (or whoever) has been stopped by the police for no apparent reason.  Give a list of when and where this has happened and what the outcome was (presumably that the police took no further action).  I would also add that in the latest incident the police officer actually suggested making a complaint about the number of stops.  Not only do you (or your daughter or son or whoever it is) find this police action to be extremely distressing, but you also consider it a waste of scarce police resources.

Ask for an explanation as to why this keeps happening and ask for an assurance that the police will stop doing it.

You may also want to add (see what others advise about this) that the police officer in the latest incident also told you that they had received a call from someone saying that the car's paper work "might not be in order".  Say that you are concerned that whoever made this false allegation is wasting police time.  (You may want to think carefully about this as it may not improve your daughter's relationship with her neighbour!  If the allegation came from the neighbour.)

Those are my initial thoughts but it's a bit late to be thinking clearly.  See what others suggest rather than just relying on my suggestions.

[The letter really needs to come from your daughter (or whichever family member keeps being stopped) and not you, unless you can make it perfectly clear in the letter who it is that is being stopped etc. and that you are complaining on their behalf.  Is that clear?]

Edited by Manxman in exile
clarification

Thanks for the advice and pointers much appreciated, letter will come from daughter in law but I would type it her up and print it off for her.

The officer told her he could not guarantee it would not happen again like you say I am astounded the Police have time to be stopping a driver who has proved 5 times now that she is legal to be on the road none of it makes sense.