scaniaman

Lady bought car from dealer and engine blew up about 3 months later.

Please settle argument with local garage .

Lady bought car from dealer and engine blew up about 3 months later.

Garage guy says Trading Standards says dealer only responsible for first 28 days, but on this form it suggests the CPA gives up to 6 months protection.

What is the precise time For CPA protection ??

you mean CRA do you not?

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

On the basis that you mean the CRA – Consumer Rights Act there are a number of levels of protection.

If the fault develops within the first 30 days then there is an automatic right to reject the item.
If the fault develops within the first six months then there is an automatic right to a repair and then a refund or a replacement if the repair fails.
After that, the item is required to be of satisfactory quality and remain that way for a reasonable period of time.

There is actually no doubt that if you buy a vehicle and the engine blows up within three months then it is not of satisfactory quality. Because it has happened within three months and the six-month rule applies and that means that she is entitled to have a repair and if the repair fails then a refund or a replacement at her option.

What is the name of the dealer?

Posted (edited)

There is a caveat. Within the first 6 months the assumption of a fault at time of selling means that it is for the seller to disprove.

This can be through showing, possibly as in the case of engine 'blowing up' in this thread, that due attention by the purchaser has not been  paid to such things as the oil and water levels, all other adjustments have been maintained, any due servicing has been carried out, etc.

There is actually no doubt that if you buy a vehicle and the engine blows up within three months then it is not of satisfactory quality. Because it has happened within three months and the six-month rule applies and that means that she is entitled to have a repair and if the repair fails then a refund or a replacement at her option

We have not been given details of make, model,  age, mileage on purchase, miles covered by OP and servicing history. It is for these reasons that I find the above post questionable.

Edited by Gick
adjustment of layout

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

19 hours ago, BankFodder said:

On the basis that you mean the CRAConsumer Rights Act there are a number of levels of protection.

If the fault develops within the first 30 days then there is an automatic right to reject the item.
If the fault develops within the first six months then there is an automatic right to a repair and then a refund or a replacement if the repair fails.
After that, the item is required to be of satisfactory quality and remain that way for a reasonable period of time.

There is actually no doubt that if you buy a vehicle and the engine blows up within three months then it is not of satisfactory quality. Because it has happened within three months and the six-month rule applies and that means that she is entitled to have a repair and if the repair fails then a refund or a replacement at her option.

What is the name of the dealer?

BF, you are misrepresenting the 30 day right to reject rule again. Stop misleading people, you’ve acknowledged you were wrong, please don’t go down that path again. 

OP, if the seller has proof the fault was not present at the point of sale then it’s your responsibility to pay for the repair, if the fault has occurred due to wear n tear it is also your responsibility. 

What you have to do is substantiate the fault was present at the point of sale.

26 minutes ago, stinky-pants said:

What you have to do is substantiate the fault was present at the point of sale.

This is wrong