Colony_gamer

Carcraft 'Drive Happy Warranty'

Hi all,

First time posting, and I'm a bit anxious 

Hoping someone can help me.

I have received an email today stating I owe PRA Group ~£156 for a Drive Happy Warranty, from 2015.  

The back story is:

i purchased the car in 2013, and had the extended warranty, paid for monthly.

Carcraft went into administration (in 2015) and i was given the option, by Motorway Group PLC to cancel this policy (they took over the drive happy agreements and wrote to all affected offering this).

I took this option, phoning three times (June, July and August 2015) but PRA continued to take the money, despite Motorway Direct cancelling this.

I emailed both PRA Group and Motorway Direct in September 2015 stating I wanted to cancel the policy and i would be cancelling my Direct Debit.

I got a response from Motorway Group that they would pass this on to the "the account manager to look into the cancellation" and to contact PRA group to ensure they had received a cancellation agreement.

From what i remember, i phoned PRA Group and they confirmed I could cancel the Direct Debit and all was good (until today). I never received an email back from PRA Group. 

I moved house and have only today heard of PRA group requesting the money (one previous email in Feb went into spam and with good reason - the subject was simply "discount available"). They had my very old address on file and an old email address, which i don't use much anymore. 

I emailed PRA group the evidence (emails) and phoned them to raise the outstanding balance as a dispute, as i do not feel i owe any money to them

(in fact they owe me money for June, July and August 2015 when they continued to take money!).

Unfortunately, i did not keep the letter from Motorway Group PLC (about a year ago i got rid of a lot of paperwork, as i thought "i haven't heard back in 3 years, all good...d;oh!).

The PRA Group rep told me "well Motorway Group didn't/don't have the authority to stop payments to us' - my argument is the letter I received, the email I sent which implies "this can be cancelled" and that i did not have access to the service once i cancelled.  Also, i never received an email back from PRA Group, so my understanding was this was cancelled, along with the phone call.

I am a bit unsure where i stand - I know i can initially dispute this with PRA Group and raise to the Financial Ombudsmen if unhappy with the outcome, but i don't have that original letter (if anyone has it, i would appreciate a copy! I know it won't have my name, etc but to say "this is a letter i received" would be good) 

I think my next steps are: 

Phoning Motorway Direct and asking if they have a copy of the letter they sent to me (worth a try)

Asking Motorway Direct when my policy was cancelled 

Await the dispute to be completed and if unhappy with resolution raise to ombudsmen

Not sure if there is anything else i should/could do or any other way to get a copy of the letter.

Thank you for any help

-Colony 

So how come this is with and you paid a powerless dca?

When was this?

And stop using emaul

Writing only!!

So what is your actual problem?

pra are still claiming you owe them money?

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

Prior to CarCraft going into Administration, the 'policy' was passed to PRA Group to take the money, so from around 2014 - 2015, I was receiving the warranty from CarCraft, but paying PRA Group for this (from what i can find out and remember, PRA bought the finance policies, including the 'drive happy' warranties that were being paid monthly direct from CarCraft).

I was unable to cancel out of the agreement at this point. 

Once CarCraft went into Administration, and i was given the option to not continue with the policy (by Motorway Direct who took over the warranty, but not the actual payments) i cancelled, and stopped the DD (this was after three phone calls and an email).

In hindsight i should have asked for it all in writing, etc, but both PRA and Motorway Direct were very unhelpful and hindsight is wonderful.

The email i received today from PRA Group claims I owe them £156 still (equivalent to the 6 months payments missed, adjusted for inflation). I have raised this as a dispute, and can find several forums and a news article stating that i was entitled to cancel the policy and the DD (the same situation and letter received). 

Definitely all future correspondence will be in writing (of any matter and all kept for 7 years minimum)

Just wanted any other advice on the situation, as i have never been in the situation previously and not sure if/how to follow this up, or anything to say to PRA, etc. 

Thank you

PRA buy DEBTS not provide insurance/warranty policies

that means that the 'debt' was sold to them because you did not pay the original creditor what you should have.

something is wrong with your story or you just don't understand how things work..

since you took this policy out have you moved?

post up the PRA email please suitable redacted.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

I always paid the original creditor (All in One Finance Ltd/Carcraft) as it was direct debit and always went out of the account.

The warranty was for £995 done as a finance/credit agreement (as far as i can tell). In 2014, 

Carcraft sold a lot of these agreements to PRA Group (and other similar companies, from researching this).

This was around 2014 (I assume as they were going under and tried to raise a lot of capital in one go to stay afloat for a little while)

In 2015, carcraft, who provided the warranty cover (i.e. servicing, mot, repairs on the car) went into administration.

At this time, Motorway Direct stepped in and took over the warranty cover, sending a letter stating people could opt out of the cover and get a refund/stop paying the remainder of the cover.

I choose this option and therefore cancelled the entire warranty policy.

I had no cover for 6 months (no letter of cover from Motorway Direct or from the administrators of Carcraft or PRA).

About 6-12 months after this i moved house and had a 'royal mail' redirection for another 6 months but never heard anything from PRA or anything about this issue. 

The email i received about owing money simply states "Dear x, ref x, Acc: All In One Finance, balance x - pay x to clear balance. Accept offer" I honestly thought it was a [problem] at first as it looks quite fake (i don't want to post the email currently whilst this is ongoing).

I am new to this, and i know the situation is complicated, due to the original company selling the agreement to PRA and then going into administration, another company taking over the warranty portion and sending out letters about cancelling and not paying further amounts - it is all a bit of a mess. 

Yes i am new to this - the only thing i have ever had on a 'credit agreement' and the last thing i will ever have on such an agreement. 

no its a debt, that you did not pay the original creditor for.

they sold the debt to a debt buying company [PRA Group]

they are also debt collector.

they buy up bad debt for <10p=£1 then try and fleece the mug for the whole outstanding balance.

no dca have any legal powers 

they are not BAILIFFS.

but, you need to WRITE to the PRA group [one reason being they don't know your current and correct address]

so WILL [we know PRA group well here] go for a backdoor CCJ at your old address and you'll know nowt about it , till you find the CCJ on your Credit file or poss get a court bailiff at your door].

you also need to tell them [briefly..dont give away the full story..one: they wont care.. two:its just a debt to them, you are just a single line on a spreadsheet of 1000's of people..they have no more details than that] … stating the debt is in serious dispute and that you cancelled the warranty anyway.

inc your cancellation evidence if you have it still..a copy!!

dx