Loulou79

Debt in Dubai IDRWW chasing

http://www.hadefpartners.com/News/333/Limitation-periods-in-the-United-Arab-Emirates

One of the key limitation periods to be aware of is the limitation period for a claim for breach of contract. We have been approached by many clients (including in-house counsel at large multinational and local companies, and even international law firms) who believe that the limitation period for a breach of contract (including a commercial contract) in the UAE is 15 years. What they are often not aware of is that the limitation period for commercial contracts (as set out in Federal Law 18 of 1993 (the “Commercial Code”)) is usually 10 years. Therefore, multi-million dollar claims dating back over more than 10 years may now be time-barred.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3381662?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

If the case was brought before a UK civil court would UK rules apply or foreign rules?

I wonder if the original contract would strate what jurisdiction it's terms would be decided by?

I note that UK contracts frequently have a clause that says in so many words that any disputes  will be interpreted under UK law.

Hi guys,

Sorry I'm  not quite following. Are you saying there is a chance I could be taken to court?

Thanks

Lou

Yes owners of the debt can issue a UK court claim if you reside in the UK, subject to UK court procedures, so can defend the claim. 

The bit that confuses people is that the debt was created under UAE law. But when they try to enforce using a UK court, if you defend the claim, they will look at the claim and your defence, ensuring any UK court rules are applied. So if you disputed the debt, the claimant would have to provide evidence to counter your defence argument.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

6 hours ago, dx100uk said:

sta are in with the other lot that we don't mention squaddy..

usa portal too..

Oh right ....  okay good to know

Ok thanks. All the advise is to ignore and it's unlikely anything will happen so I was feeling a bit calmer. I guess I always have to be on guard.