Making a complaint - railway safety

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1767 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As it's not aimed at a particular company or railway station, I'm not sure who I need to contact for this, or indeed where to start:

I was at Bristol Parkway station last weekend and managed to slip between the gap between the train and platform. Thankfully, I have enough strength to pull myself up. I was taken to hospital, checked over and discharged. I was then put on the next train home.

Having talked to railway staff, I was told that this unfortunately isn't that unusual. 

I've been advised to make a complaint about this. I'm not after any compensation. It's purely a safely thing. I'm concerned that it could happen again. Whilst I was not seriously injured, I am still in a lot of pain.

When safety was a prime factor for railway operators,  there was always a member of staff on the platform assisting the train driver with dispatch.

This still happens in some TOC like south west trains which still employs guards and at peak time, platform assistants.

However,  due to the damn money, this is destined to change so less people will be employed and more money will be distributed to the shareholders. 

So, should one slip in the gap between the train and platform, the driver might not see them and run them over.

It happens more often than reported on media.

TOC prefer to pay compensation to the injured/deceased family rather than more wages to keep the railway safe.

This is the result of privatisation. 

Welcome to the world where money is more important than life!

Not going to get in to a debate about privatisation, however, things are a lot better and SAFER, than they were in BR days I can assure you.

@Nystagmite regarding your query, complaints can be made to the local station management, but probably more sensible, would be to report it to the train operator who manages the station, so GWR in this case. They should have an online process, or a paper form at the ticket office.

Regarding these incidents,

short of raising the platform, I don't see what can be done about it?

All trains that serve Bristol Parkway have a Guard/Conductor/Train Manager I believe?

That being the case, they shouldn't dispatch until clear to do so and will be on hand should any incidents occur?

Due to the size of this station, I believe there will also be a fair amount of staff available, often performing dispatch duties?

If even the staff are advising you to complain, that begs the question as to whether they believe there's an infrastructure problem which isn't being addressed, or is it because they want to make the company consider their resourcing levels at that station?