IDRWW Chasing Dubai Debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1771 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I know this topic has been bought up quite a lot but I can't seem to find many specific answers or seen what happens when the process gets so far so I thought id ask around.

I have a similar story to most.

Had been in Dubai since 2013,

then in May 2015 my job fell through after the company was sold on and at a similar time I was dealing with the breakdown of the relationship I was in at the time.

I figured it was in my best interests to come home.

It had always been my intention to clear the debt,

I still have friends and family over there.

My dad was hospitalised in March after a suspected heart attack and died in a Dubai hospital 24 hours later. I was unable to go over with the rest of my family to see him before he passed and so was left in the UK alone. 

Unfortunately, things spiralled out of control pretty fast.

My credit card debt was 20,000AED and since interest and charges have been applied after all these years the debt currently stands at over 350,000AED.

I had made numerous attempts to make a payment agreement that would be affordable but the bank always wanted the job lot. I did however get an email every Ramadan offering all of the interest and charges removed as a gesture of the holy month! But only if I made a lump sum payment of the whole amount or paid the whole lot over 3 months, also unaffordable.

About two months ago, I started receiving letters from IDRWW saying they were collecting this debt on behalf of Emirates NBD as part of a portfolio of accounts.

I have received one letter, email and text message from them approximately every week for the last 2 months, each giving me 7 days to respond so that they can make a reasonable payment agreement.

This weeks letter threatens court action and then possible bankruptcy, attachment of earnings orders, or CCJs if I don't respond in 7 days.

Judging from what I have read so far, I'm assuming the next step is receiving an SD? If that's the case, I'm not exactly sure what to do next,

Im seen a lot about people applying for it to be set aside and attending court, but I have been between jobs recently and am only just starting to get back on my feet so I will be unlikely to be able to afford solicitors etc to attend court with me.

Can anybody offer advice as to what will happen next and how best tp handle it without a solicitor?

Thanks 

Dont speculate.

And no you dont need a solicitor

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If we accept that a foreign debt can be subject of a UK Court claim,  if the claim is defended, then the claimant has to be able to explain their case, that a CCJ should be issued allowing enforcement here.

i think the confusion over which countries law applies, is as follows.  The actual credit arrangement comes under UAE law. So the credit agreement, treatment of debt default, registration of the debt in UAE, must all be UAE, as that is where the debt was produced. The credit agreement allows enforcement of the debt outside of the UAE in any foreign court, subject to international law, laws in the country where the debtor now resides and enforcement is being sought. So in terms of actual enforcement of the debt in a UK Court, the claimant needs to explain, if the claim is defended, how they are satisfying UK law ( which has accepted relevant international law) in seeking a UK court judgement allowing enforcement here.

Has the debt actually been correctly registerered in the UAE, so that it is currently capable of enforcement outside of the UAE ? They would need to prove, if defended, that all of the correct processes had been gone through in the UAE. Which is why, if a foreign creditor is seeking UK court enforcement, you ask them to supply copies of everything in English, E.g. Finance arrangement including terms and conditions, Credit agreement, default notice, foreign court judgement/registration etc. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread