Drydens/Erudio claimform - old slc loan - is it sb'd

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1780 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi BillyWilder, hope you don't mind me jumping into your thread here, but I was about to ask the almost exact same question so I'd be very interested to see what advice you get. There's lots of SLC threads here but none ever end in a satisfactory answer.

(I don't need to start my own thread with this, as it's exactly the same question I'm asking as Billy). But to briefly expand for info - I've been chased by Erudio on a 3 mortgage-style pre'98 loans since the start of this year. I sent SLC a SAR and a Moses-style stone tablet of 26years info wapped onto my doormat. Reading through it all, it seems the last contact I had with SLC was when I tried to defer in Feb 2014 and they said no, because it's now owned by Erudio. I left it at that.

So, DOES the Statute Barred date calculate from my last official acceptance for deferment from SLC (IE/ around March 2013) or my last telephone request for deferment, denied by SLC, Feb 2014; or did my writing to Erudio saying I think the debt to be SB in March this year reset the clock anyway?

It seems impossible to get a definitive answer around these here parts!!! 

(edited to say: I've been below the threshold for repayment since 2007, thus always deferred, but stopped all contact around Feb 2013, save for the request denied in Feb 2014 for new deferment forms).

Edited by Cruet1

No its not ok

Create your own topic thankyou

its not as clear cut as you perceive

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

36 minutes ago, dx100uk said:

Ok clear now not sb'd

thank you

Please complete this

Why not SB tho? I thought SB was 6 years after last contact? Billy says Feb 2013, so by my remedial math that means it should've become statute barred March 2019? Same as me?

Section 30 Limitation Act 1980

30 Formal provisions as to acknowledgments and part payments.

(1)To be effective for the purposes of section 29 of this Act, an acknowledgment must be in writing and signed by the person making it.

(2)For the purposes of section 29, any acknowledgment or payment—

(a)may be made by the agent of the person by whom it is required to be made under that section; and

(b)shall be made to the person, or to an agent of the person, whose title or claim is being acknowledged or, as the case may be, in respect of whose claim the payment is being made.”

For a debt to be statute barred under the 1980 Act, no payment and no express acknowledgement of the debt for a period of 6 years. (this limitation period does not apply to mortgages).

Dorytime

The 6 year limitation period begins to run from the date that the creditor's cause of action became known to him.

Dorytime

Anyone in the position of having had SLC refuse to process deferment, should have proof of this.  If they refused in writing and the letter does not state how to defer with new debt owner, then yes it could be argued that SB runs from 2013 when previously deferred.

BUT presumably when the debts were sold to Erudio by SLC, Erudio or SLO or both wrote to all debtors stating what the revised process was for deferment ?  If they did so and a mistake was made by debtors contacting SLC, rather than Erudio, then they could argue that SB runs from 2014, when the anniversary for deferment was due.

So the answer is not clear. Open to argument, when the 6 years runs from, because of the sale of the debt and the communication issues confirming revised deferment process.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

In Cruet's case, the deferment was not accepted as the account had been assigned, so in 2014 there was no valid deferment/acknowledgment by Cruet and therefore the matter is statute barred for Cruet.

In Billywilder's case, his last deferment was in 2014, this is an acknowledgement of the debt for the purpose of the 6 year limitation period and extends the limitation period within the meaning of s.30 of the 1980 Act (posted above), and therefore, unfortunately, Billywilder's debt is not statute barred.

Dorytime

I did

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

28 minutes ago, Dorytime said:

In Cruet's case, the deferment was not accepted as the account had been assigned, so in 2014 there was no valid deferment/acknowledgment by Cruet and therefore the matter is statute barred for Cruet.

In Billywilder's case, his last deferment was in 2014, this is an acknowledgement of the debt for the purpose of the 6 year limitation period and extends the limitation period within the meaning of s.30 of the 1980 Act (posted above), and therefore, unfortunately, Billywilder's debt is not statute barred.

Dorytime

Cheers Dorytime, exactly the 100% clearcut advice I've been reading a hundred threads on here.

Cheers fella.

What is the date of the claimform?

and they

In Bradford and Bingley plc v Rashid (FC) [2006] UKHL 37, the House considered the limitation period under the 1980 Act and ss.29 & 30 and held that a debtor’s acknowledgment of the debt claimed means that the debt is not statute barred.

Here are a few relevant paragraphs on the point from this key authority:

[21] I have no difficulty in regarding the letter of 26 September 2001 as an acknowledgment of the appellants' claim within the meaning of section 29(5) of the Limitation Act 1980. In Surrendra Overseas Ltd v Government of Sri Lanka [1977] 1 WLR 565, 575E-F Kerr J said that the debtor can only be held to have acknowledged the claim if he has in effect admitted his legal liability to pay that which the plaintiff seeks to recover. But his acknowledgment need not identify the amount of the debt.

[44]A debtor's written acknowledgment of his debt or other liquidated pecuniary claim starts time running afresh under the Limitation Act 1980 (the 1980 Act). Such is the effect of sections 29 (5) and 30.

[79]The first issue is whether either or both of the Advice Centre's letters of 26th September and 4th October 2001, if admissible in evidence, constituted an acknowledgement of the appellant bank's claim for the purposes of sections 29(5) and 30 of the Limitation Act 1980. On this issue, I agree with Lord Brown's reasoning and conclusions in paragraphs 53-60. The letters acknowledged the existence of "the outstanding balance, owed to you" or "the outstanding amount". The appellant bank is entitled to prove the unstated quantum of that admitted balance or amount by any admissible means, including oral evidence, in accordance with the Court of Appeal's decision in Dungate v. Dungate [1965] 1 WLR 1477. By the first letter, written in response to the appellant bank's insistence on proposals for repayment, Mr Rashid was simply requesting time to "start to repay" the outstanding balance. By the second letter, written in response to the bank's reiteration of its insistence and its indication that it would consider writing off a substantial sum if Mr Rashid raised a lump sum payment "in full and final settlement", Mr Rashid was simply offering "approximately £500 towards the outstanding amount as a final settlement". In each case, he was clearly acknowledging the outstanding debt without question.

The above authority on this point clarifies the issue on the meaning of statute barred raised here by Billywilder and Cruet, and for any consumer for that matter.

Dorytime

Alright Cruet,

Let's just keep things on topic please, sometimes it is best to keep your opinion....about anyone and anything to yourself.

I think you would prove your humanity if you gave dx an apology, we are all strangers here, we don't know each other or whether any of us suffer from any illness or not, but the one thing we do know is that we are all here looking for help, support and advice or to give the same to our fellow people.

Dorytime

• Thanks 1