Used parents freedom pass

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1721 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Was stopped by a ticket inspector after exiting the gate at a tube station last week. 

I was caught using my parent freedom pass 

I had been stopped earlier on this year once, was given a warning and paid a on the spot fine. I have learnt my lesson then and had my paying my journeys up until recently when I travelled back from my holiday in beginning of Last month. The bad side of myself got out of me. I started using my the pass again for off peak journeys. However I still uses my Oyster card and credit card for paid journeys in the morning. 

I have counted I have made approx 20 journeys. 

When I was questioned. The person had wrote- ‘has been stopped before’ into his note pad 

And I have admitted that I have used the pass due to insufficient fund on my regular oyster card and was just in a rush and not topped up. ( they can see I have attempted to tap on but insufficient yesterday and I paid with credit card instead). The person was the same person who had stopped before and was wearing a camera. 

Nothing has been received via post yet, but I am getting myself ready. This has been constantly on my mind, can’t sleep, can’t function properly. I am also look into getting some legal advice. 

I work for the Nhs and with a criminal record would mean I wouldn’t be able to continue what I do. 

I was just wondering what is the likelihood of being able to settle OOC? 

I'm afraid that I think it is extremely unlikely because it is the second incident. Other people will come along who will give you better advice than I can – but one thing that might help you is to be completely open and honest when you eventually receive the letter from TfL. There is no other way out of this

This first time was off record, but will him writing ‘ has been stopped before’, I guess that implies not first time? 

I would say that he knows about the previous occasion, especially as he stopped you before. I imagine RPIs are trained to remember faces.

There's nothing you can do other than wait for their letter, which can take 6 weeks or more sometimes. And I wouldn't say that a lawyer will make any difference, we've never seen one who's helped with someone's ticket offence. You can end up paying for their learning curve.

If it were me, I wouldn't carry the parent's Freedom Pass and then you can't be tempted to use it. Given how much your job seems to mean to you, I wouldn't put it in jeopardy.

When the TfL letter comes, we'll help you with the letter that you'll need to write, but you could start working on it now - there are plenty of examples on this forum for Freedom Pass abuse. One thing you could give some thought to is how you say you learned your lesson but used the card again anyway.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

What do you mean by "I had been stopped earlier on this year once, was given a warning and paid a on the spot fine. " and "off the record"?

An on the spot fine in cash (did you get given a receipt)?

A penalty fare??

How did the TfL staff member know "you had been stopped before"?.

Given it is hard enough to get an OOC (administrative) settlement for Freedom Pass abuse, If they have any record of you being previously stopped (or the TfL staff member is able to state why they believe you had had a previous warning), it will make it hard to avoid prosecution.

What would your advice be to someone who worked for the NHS (presumably needs an eDBS??) and who had been stopped before be on the risks of continuing to abuse a Freedom Pass?.

So I was stopped by the same inspector earlier this year. He showed me mercy and just asked me to pay £40. I got a credit card receipt. Nothing was written in the book. 

I cannot explain my stupid actions. I think trying to save a few quid has gotten over me. This could potentially cost me my whole life and i can’t feel anymore stupid right now.

Hi everyone , I have received the letter on Friday, giving me 10 days to explain my case. 

Ever since the day, I cannot stop worrying and feel tremendously stupid with my actions. I cannot sleep at night and struggling to remain professional at work.

I am unsure if I need to seek for legal advice or start drafting a letter first? I know I don’t have much time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

My biggest mitigating circumstances is my job and i do suffer from a long term autoimmune skin disorder (not sure if this will help my case). 

I have been reading the others successful threads on this forum and has a good idea as to what to put in the letter... 

thank you so much for everyone’s help. 

legal advice will not help

waste of money

just do a begging letter

follow the xamples

have they mentioned previous history yet or just a byelaw charge?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

14 minutes ago, Tofupanda said:

My biggest mitigating circumstances is my job and i do suffer from a long term autoimmune skin disorder (not sure if this will help my case). 

How is your job mitigation for fare dodging?

How are you claiming your autoimmune skin disorder makes you more likely to be dishonest?

If you phrase things poorly it will make it look like you are seeking excuses, which (together with the fact you got off with a warning previously but still chose to re-offend) won’t make it look like you have ANY contrition beyond being sorry you got caught again. That would work against you being offered an alternative to prosecution.

Edited by BazzaS

It was just a letter saying they might proceed with legal charge and asked me to explained / accept or deny the charge and has asked me to reply within 10 days. 

post 15 

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Question: 

do I mention I have been stopped before and explained that situation or best to just concentrate on this incident? 

Im finding it hard to find an excuse for myself ( as I know I’m in the wrong) as I have been lucky enough to get out of this once and I have learnt from my mistake but clearly have put it behind me when I haven’t been paid for 3-4 weeks and stupidly decided to pay for selective journeys only... 

well to date they aren't mentioning it so neither should you

that's a std reply from them.

so a std reply from you.....adapt to YOUR circumstances our letter 

and they

Hi all, 

I have decided not to proceed with any legal advice yet and i have drafted a letter. 
One silly question- is it safe to post it on here? any chance the prosecutors will be reading this on this forum ? 

so what?

and they

This is what I have wrote. 

Should I be submitting a tfl record of my credit card ( tap in and out record) and my prepay Oyster card too? 

Also should I send a copy of my bank statement to prove I haven’t been paid? 

Dear Sir or Madam, 

I apologise profusely for my regretful actions in this case. I feel utterly ashamed for my poor judgement. I have had financial difficulties due to delayed salary payment. I have been using my prepaid oyster card and credit card regularly, however that morning I had left my credit card at home and my oyster card had insufficient funds. I was running late for work and I therefore made a devastating decision which has haunted me since. 

I would like to take this opportunity to assure you that I am feeling deeply remorseful and embarrassed with the whole situation. 

I am extremely fearful of the potential consequences on my future as the General Medical council takes criminal conviction very seriously. 

I have just graduated from medical school less than a year ago and it has been my childhood dream to become a doctor. I have gone through a very long road in achieving that and having a criminal offence would prevent me from practicing as a doctor ever again and It would ruin any of my dreams and hopes of being a great medical practitioner for a moment of utter stupidity.

I am deeply sorry for my actions and the inconvenience caused to all involved. I am happy to make immediate payment of the unpaid fare and any incurred costs that my actions have caused. I would really appreciate if you would kindly show some leniency in this matter so I can continue my passion in saving lives and helping others. 

I again reassure you that I will never ever make such mistake again in the future.

Please kindly comment. I’m not sure if I have explained enough?  

I'm not sure about saying this was one moment of madness when you say you used the card on 20 occasions. I don't know what TfL are able to check on the Freedom card, but I think it could be up to a couple of months.

Why weren't you paid?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I’m sure that they can check it. I have used it to go home from work for about 10 days. So what would you suggest is the best way to explain myself for my stupidity? 

Some mess with payroll/HR- ( as I am a contracting doctor). At the time, I only had £55 left in my bank account. 

being short on money is not an excuse to purposefully take a card and use it when you knew it was against the law to do so. it was the cause.

you are a doctor .. in a profession regarded in the highest of esteem and trustworthiness...... you should know better 

and they

i know there is no excuse for doing what I have done and it has haunt me ever since. I am trying my best to block out so I can remain professional at what I do but I’m really struggling. I’m terrified that I cannot continue what I am doing. 

Any thoughts on the letter? 

guys, please I would need your help here as I plan to send this letter out tomorrow... 

thanks a lot in advance. 

Edited by Guest