• Tweets

• It's Hotpoint (but I believe they're part of the Whirlpool group now?). The part was bought direct from them as a consumer.
    • Thanks BankFodder for your latest, I'm in complete agreement on the subject of mediation and will be choosing to decline mediation, the longer timeline is not an issue for me, I will happily let the going to court run it's course. I really appreciate the support from the Consumer Action Group. I'll post the email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response. Regards, J    email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response:  
    • Sec127 (3) repealed, now gone. S. 127(3)-(5) repealed (6.4.2007) by Consumer Credit Act 2006 (c. 14), ss. {15}, 70, 71(2), {Sch. 4} (with Sch. 3 para. 11); S.I. 2007/123, art. 3(2), Sch. 2
    • We used to recommend that people accept mediation but our advice has changed. The mediation process is unclear. Before you can embark on it you have to agree that you are prepared to enter a compromise – and that means that you agree that you are prepared to give up some of your rights even though you are completely in the right and you are entitled to hundred percent of your money and even though EVRi are simply trying to obstruct you in order to discourage you and also to put others who might want to follow your example off from claiming and even though they have a legitimate basis for reimbursement. Mediation is not transparent. In addition to having to sign up that you are prepared to give up some of your rights, you will also have to agree not to reveal any details of the mediation – including the result of the mediation – so that the whole thing is kept secret. This is not open justice. Mediation has nothing to do with justice. The only way of getting justice is to make sure that this matter goes to trial unless EVRi or the other parcel delivery companies put their hands up and accept the responsibility even if they do it is a gesture of goodwill. Going to trial and winning at trial produces a judgement which we can then add to our small collection to assist other people who are in a similar boat. EVRi had been leading you around by the nose since at least January – and probably last year as well – and their whole purpose is simply to drag it out, to place obstacles in your way, to deter other people, and to make you wish that you'd never started the process and that you are prepared to give up your 300 quid. You shouldn't stand for it. You should take control. EVRi would prefer that you went to mediation and if nothing else that is one excellent reason why you should decline mediation and go to court. If it's good for them it's bad for you. On mediation form, you should sign that you are not prepared to compromise and that you are not prepared to keep the result secret but that you want to share the results with other people in similar circumstances. This means that the mediation won't go ahead. It will take slightly longer and you will have to pay a court fee but you will get that back when you win and you will have much greater satisfaction. Also, once you go the whole process, you will learn even more about bringing a small claim in the County Court so that if this kind of thing happens again you will know what to do and you will go ahead without any hesitation. Finally, if you call EVRi's bluff and refuse mediation and go to trial, there is a chance – maybe not a big chance – but there is a chance that they will agree to pay out your claim before trial simply in order to avoid a judgement. Another judgement against them will simply hurt the position even more and they really don't want this. 300 quid plus your costs is peanuts to them. They don't care about it. They will set it off against tax so the taxpayer will make their contribution. It's all about maintaining their business model of not being liable for anything, and limiting or excluding liability contrary to section 57 and section 72 of the consumer rights act.     And incidentally, there is a myth that if you refuse mediation that somehow it will go against you and the judge will take a dim view and be critical of you. This is precisely a myth. It's not true. It would be highly improper if any judge decided the case against you on anything other than the facts and the law of the case. So don't worry about that. The downside of declining mediation is that your case will take slightly longer. The upside is that if you win you will get all your money and you will have a judgement in your favour which will help others. The chances of you winning in this case are better than 95% and of course you would then receive 100% of your claim plus costs
    • Nice to hear a positive story about a company on this form for a change. Thank you
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

SAr to employer??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1752 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

HSBC recently offered me £500 due to them being unable to provide a certificate of destruction for my data that they claim they have 'may' have destroyed. This seems an interesting amount, but I'm also aware that HSBC have a habit of offering the bare minimum in compensation for their errors.

This has led me to revisit an issue I had with my former employer where upon my sending them a DSAR, they provided most, but not all, of my data. Missing was CCTV of a serious accident I had whilst working there (reason: Can't account for it) and details of my accident reports since I worked there which was duly sent after being prompted by me.

This may look (is, I guess) like a post to ask 'How much can I ask for' but is also genuinely a question of 'How can one financially quantify a data breach?'.

I would be interested to know people's thoughts on this.....cheers!

Applying a money value to a data protection breach can be tricky – but there are two heads of damage. Actual discernible losses and then general – unspecifiable losses – in this case damages for distress to you or your family. This is provided for the legislation.

So the first thing to ask yourself is what actual losses have you incurred? They may not have been many

Secondly what stress or distress is this caused to you and your family?

You should understand that the courts are very chary about awarding damages for distress. The rule used to be that you had to show some actual harm and that the distress flowed from that. Since a case involving Google only a few years ago, it was held that the courts can award damages purely for distress without any evidence of underlying physical or economic harm.

Despite this though, the courts are still wary of financing a moneygrab.

In my view, the offer of £500 from HSBC is a pretty good offer – it's unexpectedly high – but are there any conditions attached – and is there anything you'd like to say which would make us feel that in fact you deserve more than that figure?

Thank you for this.

It says nothing in their letter regarding conditions. 

Re deserving higher - the fact that this particular list set of data (statements, copies of loan agreements) is ultimately probably going to cost me thousands in very probable PPI refunds would be my reason for deserving higher.

Interesting info from Which on this issue;

The pertinent part is below;

How to complain and claim compensation

Organisations are bound by the GDPR to keep your data secure.

This means that they must take measures to prevent unauthorised or unlawful processing of your personal data.

They must also protect against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, your personal data.

If your data is lost and it causes you financial damage or distress, you may be able to make a claim for compensation from the organisation that lost it.

1. Complain to the company that lost your data

If you’ve suffered distress or financial  loss as a result of your data being compromised, the first thing you must do is contact the organisation that you believe is responsible.

Outline what distress and/or losses you’ve suffered, and how you expect it to compensate you. It's important to note that you can now make a claim relating to distress alone - you do not need to have also suffered financial loss.  

2. Complain to the ICO

You can also take your concerns with how the organisation processed your data to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).

By law, the ICO can't award compensation or give advice on the level of compensation that should be due, even when it has said that in its view the organisation did indeed breach the GDPR. But its opinion can be influential in making your claim against the organisation that has compromised your data.

3. Go to the small claims court

If you can't agree with the organisation that compromised your data on the fact that you are due compensation, or on the level of compensation, you can make a claim via the small claims court. 

A good piece of evidence to to take to court is if the ICO agreed with you that the GDPR was indeed breached

Re the evidence of ICO agreeing with you - I have this from them on the transcript from an Instant Chat I had with them on this but obviously a ‘ruling’ would look better.

I’m also hoping that the offer of £500 from HSBC could act as a precedent  for other CAGers on here who might suffer the same loss of data and want to use it in a small claims court?

Take a look at Halliday v Creation Consumer Finance Limited. The claimant was awarded £750 for distress for what the court held to be a minor breach. 

https://www.hempsons.co.uk/news-articles/damages-distress-awarded-breach-data-protection-act/

In your case I would suggest the breach is considerably more serious as HSBC has lost your data.   They think it may have been destroyed but they have no proof. The fact is they have no clue as to where it is or who has it.   So in addition to the potential loss of your PPI refund I think the distress component is considerably higher than in Halliday. How much higher I cannot say - but you need to start canvassing the case law on damages for distress.   

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2013/333.html

And THIS is why this forum is so, so helpful. Without this forum, people would be little better than lost - thank you for finding this. 

This certainly validates my suspicion that HSBC’s ‘first offer’ would be below par, so to speak.

Two things;

1. Where on earth did you find this? 

2. My knowledge of how small claims court (or normal courts, for that matter) decisions are made is limited but isn’t it usually helpful to have a previous judgment made by another court to use as a sort of ‘template’ for the court to make their decision?

An interesting case here involving the Home office actively passing on data;

https://www.eversheds-sutherland.com/global/en/what/articles/index.page?ArticleID=en/tmt/Quantifying_damages_for_data_breaches

1.  I'm pretty sure I came across it on this forum.

2.  Yes you're correct in that having case-law precedents is useful - generally speaking courts are bound by case law as defined by decisions and judgements of superior courts - in this case the Court of Appeal. 

Of course the Halliday decision is only binding on a lower court to the degree that the circumstances of the case before the court match those of Halliday.   

For instance, say you send an SAR to a bank and they respond with a holding letter within ten days, and then supply you with four boxes of your personal data going back 25 years but it is sent out two days after the 30 day limit imposed by the GDPR/Data Protection Act 2018 - yes, you've technically suffered a data breach, but given the amount of data provided and the fact that the Bank has kept you informed of what's going on, it's extremely unlikely that a Judge is going to agree that the damages from Halliday are applicable.   

I understand. But, as you say, there are comparisons to be drawn between Halliday and mind, except that mine is technically more serious.

Not sure whether I should start a new thread for this but it’s of a similar nature;

Last year I sent a DSAR to my (then) employer. It  put me on hold for tail further month due to the ‘amount of data’. When it did arrive there were no audio recordings of accident investigation meetings and no accident report forms. By the time the accident report forms were finally with me, one accident that I had had there (undoubtedly their fault) had passed the three year time limit by just a month or so (if you were the suspicious type then you’d wonder if it was deliberate).

They also didn’t include internal emails and asked me for £900 to help them as there are so many because they claim a contractor also shared the same name as me. I never did complain about this.

Further to this, last week I noticed that they hadn’t included historical time sheets or clocking in or out times which my solicitor needs to help me with another claim against them (bad accident when something fell on my head). I approached them on this and they said I’ll have the data next week.

Would these delays constitute a data breach?

On 10/06/2019 at 21:49, craigten said:

Please can I ask how much of a difference this makes, regarding legality / compensation?

The GDPR regime is more robust in spelling out the Data Controller's obligations and the Data Subjects rights, and it explicitly allows you to sue for non-material damages.

Thank you for that.

I would love to know;

1. If a company failing to supply all of the subject’s data at the first time of asking....

2. If a company fails to acknowledge or respond to a DSAR...

3. If a company sends the data but sends it after the 30 day limit (with no previous warning of this)

is technically breaching GDPR?

Generally speaking, all three would be data breaches, although in the case of (1) A data controller could  withhold some information if they had legitimate reasons for doing so.  With respect to (3), a Data Controller can, take longer than 30 days to supply the data if there are large amounts or there's some complexity to answering the request, but they must let you know within 30 days that this is the case.

Thank you for that (again).

My issue regarding (1) is that the employer has had to be prompted each time to supply the further data (accident reports, audio recordings of interviews) months after the original DSAR and it’s only excuse was that they had forgotten (from memory).

The one that really bugs me is the seemingly deliberate delay in providing the accident reports until after the three year period for potentially making a claim (on one of the accidents) had lapsed.

Briefly, I spoke with the ICO today (well, Live Chat specifically) and the term I should be using for when an organisation has not sent all the data it should have within a given time frame is 'infringement' of GDPR.

It pointed me towards Article 82:

Art. 82 GDPR

Right to compensation and liability

1. Any person who has suffered material or non-material damage as a result of an infringement of this Regulation shall have the right to receive compensation from the controller or processor for the damage suffered.
  2. 1Any controller involved in processing shall be liable for the damage caused by processing which infringes this Regulation. 2A processor shall be liable for the damage caused by processing only where it has not complied with obligations of this Regulation specifically directed to processors or where it has acted outside or contrary to lawful instructions of the controller.
  3. A controller or processor shall be exempt from liability under paragraph 2 if it proves that it is not in any way responsible for the event giving rise to the damage.
  4. Where more than one controller or processor, or both a controller and a processor, are involved in the same processing and where they are, under paragraphs 2 and 3, responsible for any damage caused by processing, each controller or processor shall be held liable for the entire damage in order to ensure effective compensation of the data subject.
  5. Where a controller or processor has, in accordance with paragraph 4, paid full compensation for the damage suffered, that controller or processor shall be entitled to claim back from the other controllers or processors involved in the same processing that part of the compensation corresponding to their part of responsibility for the damage, in accordance with the conditions set out in paragraph 2.
  6. Court proceedings for exercising the right to receive compensation shall be brought before the courts competent under the law of the Member State referred to in Article 79(2).

• dx100uk changed the title to SAr to employer??