Lucy22

Can Australian debts be enforced in the UK

I have recently moved back to the UK for family reasons and I have left around $50,000 debt behind (car finance, cards etc) the main one is a $35,000 car finance.
I wanted to know 2 things...

I have not let the finance and credit card companies know I’ve left so they are not aware that I am in the UK. How would they find me? And what would make them look in the UK?
(I am both a UK and Australian citizen)

Can this debt be perused in the uk?

I would really appreciate help on this!

Just out of interest:

What happened to the car?

If repossessed by them What value would / did they realise for it?

there is nothing they can do to you.

its free and very easy to go bk in aus from the uk.

several here have done it.

dx

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets 

Yes UK courts will look at foreign debts, but if you have no assets to go after, what would be the point ?

There is a thread on CAG, where an Aussie debt buyer did take a debtor to Court in the UK. But the matter was stopped before the Court hearing when it was realised it was pointless proceeding. There were issues regarding the debt in Australia which complicated matters and even if judgement was gained, any payments would small and over a long period.

UK has a good records system. Very difficult to not have your UK credit record updated with latest address. Aussie creditors would use debt collectors, who will use tracing companies to find your latest address.  So it is a question of when and not if you will be contacted.

You should contact Aussie creditors with your UK address, letting them know that due to family reasons you are now living in the UK. Hopefully this will stop an Aussie Court judgement in your absence. Much easier for UK Courts to look at foreign court judgements, so you want to try to avoid Aussie Court judgments in your absence. 

You can declare bankruptcy within 3 years of leaving a country, from outside the country where you  lived and incurred the debts. There are companies that handle bankruptcy from abroad or you can look into the process yourself. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread