Private Pension and ESA?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1762 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am currently claiming Joint ESA (Support Group) for myself and my wife who is disabled, I am her carer.

I am due for retirement in 18 months time,

today I received a letter from a private pension from a company that I worked with a few years ago. 

The letter notified me that this private pension would start paying monthly payments of £80 per month from December 2019 when I am 65.

Being on ESA I don't want to go onto Universal Credit if at all possible. 

Will this private pension trigger a change for Universal Credit to be applicable? 

What would be the situation if I deferred this private pension until my official retirement age of 66?

Sadly it may as it would as the Private Pension would be classed as an Occupational Pension and taken into account.

I myself am disabled and have a two different pensions one they cannot touch but the other Pension they can as they class it as Private/Occupational Pension and it is taken into account. 

IMO I would advise that you inform them of this change as it is a change in circumstances just so you are on the right side of DWP you don't want to give then a reason to hit out with sanctions.

Whether they would reassess you for universal credit or just reassess your present claim only is really in DWPs hands

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Would be counted as unearned income, as it is not related to current employment.  So it needs to be advised to ESA and they will take it into account.

See this link  https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/778262/admh5.pdf

Don't need to change to UC. You would stay on ESA, until DWP begins the managed migration process. If you both reach state pension credit age before UC migration, then you simply claim relevant retired age benefits.  If your wife was a lot younger than yourself, then you might be dragged into claiming UC on migration, as mixed age couples (one of pension credit age and other below) have to claim UC, unless the disabled person is getting the SDP addition.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of an update,

another private pension with another old company turned up this week with a pension pot value of around £10k the previous pension company had a pension pot of around £26k. Both companies have the option to do nothing and leave the pots alone until I reach my official state pension age in around 18 months time, which is the option I would prefer to do.

Age UK and the Money Advice Service are stating that because I am below state pension age and not taking income from the pension pots the DWP does not have to be informed until I reach state pension age.

Does this information seem correct?

I don't want to break any DWP rules. 

correct.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

if you popback to UB67's post and that link

read from h5156

if you are entitled to it, [as you say above dec 19] even though you may defer it you appear to me to have to declare it for UC purposes?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If below state pension age and you don't receive any private pensions money you don't have to declare.

As soon as you reach state pension age, you have to declare to DWP, even if you decided to delay receiving it.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

why is that doc so diff to understand..thanks.

so the only bit I missed out was reaching state pension age

which I found to be very doubt dutch in some of the clauses.

and they

The two pension companies are waiting for my decision on what to do with them. I will more than likely request to leave the both pots alone until I reach my state pension age and then take out an annuity.