Energie Fitness/harlands - Son got DD's back but cancelled membership in wrong way??***Resolved***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1746 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have read the posts on here about how best to cancel.

Can you help me please with advice on what to do when someone doesn’t?

I’ll explain below - and yes I know he’s done all the things he shouldn’t have.

my son was talked into joining an Energie Fitness gym that was opening, even though he was already a member of a different gym

He was 17 at the time (now 18).

He was told he could cancel anytime in cooling off period by just ringing them - and did this next day.  

He has never been to the gym as (he thought) he wasn’t a member.

roll forward 7-8 months and he finds he has little money in his bank.

Turns out he didn’t cancel DD with the gym and it had taken membership fee out each month. 

He told the bank, which reclaimed the money (£174.93) on his behalf as he’d cancelled.

He’s Now receiving emails from Harlands on behalf of the gym demanding return of the money, plus £25 admin fee within 10 days or will pass on to DRC. 

Am inclined to write to them to set out that he was pressured into signing up, was 17 and a member at another gym, and thus potentially mis-sold the membership, that he cancelled by phone to the gym and has never used it as he considered the membership to be cancelled. 

Any advice welcomed please?

Don't contact Harlands or any debt company at all.

Your Son can simply find out who runs the Gym and their head office address. Then your Son sends a simple letter by recorded delivery stating the facts. He was 17 years old, subject to pressure by their sales person and cancelled by phone call to the Gym the next day. The Gym then collected Direct Debits without any authorisation, as authorisation was withdrawn when membership cancelled and the Bank refunded the unauthorised Direct Debits.  This is the end of this matter and no further communications will be entered into. 

Keep it that simple. Make sure any gym reference numbers and his address are quoted. Then just read and file any chaser letters they send. They won't issue a court claim, but in the unlikely event, it would come from courts, which you don't ignore.  Any emails, just block and ignore any phone calls.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi AWS and welcome to CAG

If YS was only 17 when he joined, he could simply argue that he was a minor and unable to enter into any such agreement.

Also, if he signed outside the actual gym, he had an automatic 14 day cooling off period.

In any event, follow the advice above telling Harlands to back off.

If Harlands/CRS continue to harass for payment, let us know.

😎

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Good afternoon everyone. 

I find myself in a slightly similar position with Harlands/Exercise4Less/Credit Resolution Services and now a new debt collection agency under the name of Zinc Group Ltd.

i signed up to my local E4L branch under a promotional offer stated at £15 a month. When visiting the gym for the first time I asked if there was any contract, to which the lady on reception responded with ‘no it’s just £15 a month and you can cancel when you want, just let us know’.

After being given such a relaxed response, I then cancelled the direct debit mandate via my bank (2 months after signing up), and thought that was that.

That was until March, when I was bombarded with red headed letters and phone calls from someone in Hayward’s Heath (which I am now aware is Credit Resolution Services). Ordering me to pay up an amount of £189.47 for ‘payments in arrears’ to Harlands Group.

After making numerous calls jumping back and forth from CRS, Harlands and the local gym in late March. I gave up trying to find a reasonable answer, but was told that I should have give a months notice to cancel my direct debit (which looking at other people’s submissions on here, means bugger all anyway).

To cut a very long and stressful story short, I am still yet to pay anyone money and refuse to do so, however I am worried that this may affect my credit score in some manner and/or lead to bailiffs round or a court order.

I have ignored all of these agencies since my initial wave of phone calls, but would just like some re-assurance that I won’t have to pay this debt off, as it is making me anxious. There was no contract signed for myself, nor an email with terms and conditions.

Any advice or questions welcome.

Many thanks

• dx100uk changed the title to Energie Fitness/harlands - Son got DD's back but cancelled membership in wrong way??

you need to create your own topic please

click create in the top red banner

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

3 hours ago, Annoyedwithson said:

Many thanks for your advice - really grateful. Will do as advised and let you know the outcome. I’d not appreciated how common these problems are, until now.  Thanks again.

don't waste money on recorded

no need just use 1st class stamp with free proof of posting from any PO counter

block and bounce their email address too.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 month later...
  • AndyOrch changed the title to Energie Fitness/harlands - Son got DD's back but cancelled membership in wrong way??***Resolved***

Thread title updated...well done.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for the update and excellent result.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)