BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• So here is where things stand at the moment (sorry it's a very long post!):   I moved into this property in November.  I contacted both my electric and gas suppliers to change address and get my accounts moved over.   Electric - I closed my old account from my previous address, opened a new account for this address, set up a direct debit and requested they become the supplier.  The only thing that was outstanding on the account was a discussion about tariffs.  On 21st November they tried to call me but I didn't answer (judging from the time I was probably driving home from work).  I received a payment from them at the end of November from my previous account (which I clearly didn't check as I thought it was money going out for my direct debit).  I incorrectly assumed the call was about tariffs, which tbh, I'm not really fussed about. Their request to become the supplier was rejected but they didn't follow up on it or try to contact me again.  So I, like an idiot, thought it was all sorted out.  It's only now that I've been through my account that I realise they haven't been taking payments. I have spoken to them since Friday and the above is what they have told me has happened.   Gas - I closed my old account and have been trying to get a new account opened since November.  I have had several discussions with them re: the change request being rejected and they didn't know why it was being rejected but to leave it with them.  They told me at the beginning of this month it would be done by the 21st January.  During this phone call they said I could call the current supplier to make sure it goes smoothly but that it wasn't essential as they expected it to be completed by the 21st.  Last week they sent me a final demand for my previous address.  I contacted them to raise a complaint as I thought they were at fault, as I expected it to have been changed as per the above.   I spoke to them on Saturday and have sorted out my final bill and they have advised me to open accounts with the current supplier, Spark, clear them and then I can switch. Interestingly they also told me that Spark went bust in 2018 and it is a company called Ovo who are on the national database as the gas supplier.   Spark - This is the company who changed the meters on Friday.  I have two letters (one for gas, one for electric) that were left with the smart meter they had plugged in in the kitchen, both addressed to the previous tenant.  I obviously did open these on Friday.  Both letters state that they had changed the meters to prepayment meters.  There are several boxes that list current debt, amount of credit on meters etc none of which are filled in.  They also state that a booklet has been left explaining how the smart meter works.  There was no booklet. When I contacted them on Friday they told me that I was in fact on credit meters (I don't know if they changed this remotely when they realised I wasn't the person with the debt).  They also told me they had every right to enter the property and aren't able to check every time who the current occupant is and I should have told them I'd moved in.  I was told that someone would call me at 1pm on Saturday to discuss my complaint, thus far no one has called me.   I spoke with citizen's advice yesterday who really weren't much help tbh.  They said I should have contacted the current supplier when I moved in and provided a copy of my tenancy agreement.  I've moved A LOT over the years and have never had to do this.  I have checked several energy supplier websites and they all state to switch to them or move home simply to contact them and they will basically do the rest, not one of them states that you need to call the current supplier... obviously, on reflection I really wish I had!   My letting agent/landlord have requested that I take any post for the previous tenant to them and they will return it.  They also want confirmation of what type of meter (prepayment or credit) is now in the house.  The locks were changed when I moved in so only myself, the letting agent and the landlord have a key.  None of us let them in on Friday.     My next step is to open accounts with Spark/Ovo, clear the balances since November and then change suppliers.    All of the above have advised me to follow Spark's complaint procedure which I will do but as I said above they haven't contacted me so far re: the complaint I made on Friday.   Should I also contact Marston's to raise a complaint with them?   Whilst in all of this I do appreciate I could have done a fair bit to have made my life easier and probably prevented this happening (hindsight is wonderful!) my main complaint is that neither Spark nor Marston's felt they needed to perform a very simple check and see who actually lives in the property before breaking in.  I cannot for the life of me see how this is acceptable or legal.  Whilst they had the legal right and a warrant to enter the previous tenant's property as far as I am concerned they had no right to enter mine.    
    • I am in the process of looking on the land registry and it's showing on there alongside Lloyds bank,am going to look at deeds aswell  
    • Just a note that these appeal Trade Associations, are bodies these fleecers belong to so they are allowed to operate, appeals almost always fail, and by appealing important protections under POFA are lost as the appeal almost always identifies the driver.  Irrelevant in your case as you own the space, and the PPC have no rights in law over it.  POPLA appeal could also fail as POPLA wouldn't look at primacy of contract and the fact you own the space so can tell the PPC to Foxtrot Oscar. Whole Private Parking Industry is a money machine for unscrupulous ex cowboy clampers.
    • If you have insufficient evidence to support the claim, it is very difficult.   No point going to any Personal Injury Solicitors, as they are going to ask you questions to determine how easy it is to win compensation and for them to earn money.    Given lack of evidence and that you are unlikely to receive help from those who just seek to earn from the incidents, I can only suggest that you write to the HR Director/Manager to make a complaint. Do not say anything about looking to take them to Court for personal injury.  Stick to the facts about what happened and the way it was dealt with.  Ask for copies of the incident/accident report forms that should have been completed by the line manager responsible.
    • My point was that the fear being generated is disproportionate to the current threat. Initial under reporting of cases gave an inflated picture of the percentage death rate and images of cities in lockdown do look like a disaster movie so I understand why. This article is worth a read for some perspective. https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/27/what-is-coronavirus-symptoms-sars-china-wuhan          
  • Our picks

Bo001

Advantis Credit chasing old utils bill

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 214 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I am being chased by Advantis Credit for an old utility debt from about four years ago. 

My question is, 

whilst trying to negotiate repayment,

do I have to fill in an Income and Expenditure form? 

I've already made a token payment offer to them which they have ignored . 

They just want me to fill in the form which I'm not prepared to do. 

It's none of their business how much I have coming in and going out of my bank account in my opinion. 

I have at least made them an offer. 

Can someone advise please.

who said you have to do anything

a DCA is NOT aBAILIFF

and has

ZERO legal powers

who are their stated client

and what is the debt about.

they are the only people you should ever deal with ....never a DCA unless they PROVE you owe money

and 

are the OWNERS of a debt.

Their stated client is British Gas and Scottish Gas.  It's an old utility debt from a previous property from about four years ago.

They state that British Gas are their clients.

then you ignore them totally.

deal only with BG.

tell us what you know about the history of the bill?

did you run away and leave one?

was there any disputes over it?

did you even know you owed them anything before you left there?

history is important as BG have lots of little things they must have done in the past to be able to claim you 'now' owe them money

or it simply might be a case of they've sold a whole portfolio of old debts they know they'll never be able to regain so paid these fleecers a % to see if you'll fall for their powerless twaddle letters.

dx

OK thanks.

It's an old British Gas electric/gas bill from a property I was evicted from in October 2014.  At the time, I was made homeless so many debts went unpaid.  I recently applied for a PPI Refund and awakened a few DCA's by the looks of it.

I'll ignore for now.  

no nothing to do with any PPI reclaim.

deal with BG

p'haps send them an sar.

get all the data and work from there.

OK thanks.

I'll SAR British Gas and see what I get in return then post back up. 

was this account with Scottish gas and you were resident and living there in Scotland par chance?

Nope, I was living in England and it's showing as British Gas and Scottish Gas for some reason but it was joint gas and electricity with British Gas.

ok no worries

dual fuel debt thaT WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE THat evidence

before you went when was the last fully paid up bill?

how much is this 'bill'

I can't remember when the last fully paid up bill was I'm afraid, it was so long ago.

The bill is £960

Edited by Bo001
Missed a letter

Was it quarterly billing?

Bet it was

Yes, as far as I can remember, then changed to meters

Smart meters billed 1/4ly ??

No, they changed to card meters from quarterly bills

I've remembered - I was originally paying by monthly direct debit before it changed to meters.

Anyway, reply received to my SAR:-

Dear xxxx

General Data Protection Regulation – Rights Request

We understand that you wish to exercise one of your rights under the General Data Protection Regulation legislation.

• To comply with the requirements of the Regulation you will see that we have requested some identity information from you. This information is required by us to ensure that we verify the identity of the person making the request before responding and to ensure that we do not disclose any information to anyone, unlawfully.
    • On receipt of the identity documentation we will respond to you acknowledging receipt of the request and confirm when you can expect to receive a response from us.

• We have also sent an information sheet which details what information is useful to give us as part of your request and details the data rights process at Centrica for your convenience.
    • For a most thorough search, it would be very useful to provide us with a full list of all properties where you have held products and services with us.
    • It would be helpful if you could specify if there is specific data that you are looking for; i.e. Hive data.

• For us to provide your data via secure file transfer, security reasons require us to send your password separately. Please respond with the mobile phone number or postal address that you wish this to be sent to.

It would also be very helpful for us to understand from you the reason that you are making this request so that we can continue to look for ways to improve our company’s processes and make being a customer of ours a better experience.

We hope this clarifies our position and we look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Yours sincerely,

cid:image002.jpg@01D32980.B3A95C90

Steven Gale

Data Protection Manager

Centrica Privacy Operations

privacy@centrica.com

Did you sign and send ctax bill copy?

I didn't send a copy of my Council Tax bill but I did sign the letter.

Trying to upload the attachments but the site won't let me.

Opps thats why

send ctax bill and list old address es

you must CAREFULLY read the links we send and all the links posts

Yes, my fault, I didn't spot that!  Sorry.  I'll send my Council Tax bill on email as that's how they've contacted me.  It's only one address as I lived there for 20 years.

I've had a response to my SAR.  I can't find any information relating to the transfer of the debt to Advantis on it.

then the debt belongs to utility co and Advantis cant demand anything or tell you how to pay etc.

If utility co want to refuse payemtn that is up to them, thye will lose out by way of not  mitigating the debt.

you wont

as I said at the start you ignore a dca if their letters say our client XYZ.

so when was your last payment or last bill issued?

dx

Last bill was October 2014