jazztheman

Power Tool Faulty - Manufacturer or retailer responsible? ***Resolved***

I purchased a power tool from an online retailer back in Oct 2018. The tool has developed a fault and I contacted the retailer for either a replacement or a repair under warranty, the retailer told me to contact the manufacturer for this request.  I always presumed it was the retailer who was responsible for any warranty work?  Is it the retailer or the manufacturer I should be contacting regarding my problem?

Your contract is with the retailer...not the manufacturer unless it advises different in any warranty.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you, on checking the retailers reply - "Unfortunately, we only offer a 30 days return policy, Please note you are covered by the manufacturer's directly for a years’ warranty."

The manufacturer is not interested because they state the product should have been registered within 30 days of the purchase. I did register the product on purchase! 

Is the retailer still responsible I don't want all of the hassle trying to contact the manufacturer and for trying to work out a solution.

The retailer is responsible. Their "30 day return policy" is meaningless. By law they are responsible no matter what their own policies might say.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

"online retailer"= bloke with stuff in their spare room. probably too ignorant to know about consumer law and cant afford to make good.

name and shame and wee willsee if they have posted up their  legal requirements trader info. bet they havent

Posted (edited)

I contacted the manufacturer again today and they have promised to send me a replacement power tool free of charge, which is great news.

The retailer was "Power Tool Mate" and  the manufacturer was "Ryobi"

Edited by jazztheman

company is an online ony branch of a proper retailer so suprised they didnt do better than they did.

Ryobi are a good make so not suprised they did the decent thing.

Pleased for you