Letting Agent Looking to Serve Notice - I have PTSD

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1786 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi 

I have been speaking with my Letting agent who has stated that the Landlord is looking to serve notice because of Rent Arrears,

I am three months behind with rent to my private Land Lord,

when I first lost my job I approached the Royal British Legion who I thought would help with my rent arrears they arnt,

now the letting agent is looking to serve notice,

I suffer from a mental health concern called PTSD

What can I do???

what rights do I have....

.im trying to find a job

A couple of questions that will help me point you in the right direction:

Was your PTSD diagnosed by a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist (not a GP or self-diagnosed)?

Are you having treatment now?

Are you claiming Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit etc.? 

Are you in receipt of a War Pension or AFCS payment?

Which Service were you in?

Which part of the country are you in (i.e. England, Scotland. Wales or NI)?

"Combat Stress UK" is a fantastic organisation that can certainly help signpost you to support services available for ex-serviceman struggling with 'civvy street'. I have a good friend who has CPTSD, and they gave him a service dog which has made a massive difference to his daily struggles. He is a landlord, and his CPTSD has been exacerbated massively by his tenants not paying rent! 

As harsh as it may sound, just because a person has a mental illness doesn't give them a 'get outta jail free' card to avoid paying rent. Housing Benefit is there for just this eventuality. 

Entitledto.co.uk is a good benefit calculator to make sure you are getting everything available whilst you look for work.

1 hour ago, Cruet1 said:

As harsh as it may sound, just because a person has a mental illness doesn't give them a 'get outta jail free' card to avoid paying rent. Housing Benefit is there for just this eventuality. 

True; PTSD is not an excuse for behaviours, but it can be a causal factor in why people suffering from it struggle with everyday life.  Housing benefit is one source of help, but there are many others.

1 hour ago, Cruet1 said:

Entitledto.co.uk is a good benefit calculator to make sure you are getting everything available whilst you look for work.

It's pretty good, but doesn't factor in AFCS payments, or AFIP.  

There are better sources of advice for veterans,  but without a bit more detail it's difficult to signpost appropriately.

18 hours ago, ScarletPimpernel said:

A couple of questions that will help me point you in the right direction:

Was your PTSD diagnosed by a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist (not a GP or self-diagnosed)?

I am Under Combat Stress and diagnosed by my psychologist

Yes Im having treatment

No Not done any benefits claiming, Ive never been on benefits before , haven’t got a clue.

Not applied for a War Pension, or AFCS Payment

I was in the Army

I live in England 

@nick7602 - thanks for coming back to me with those answers.  There's one other question I should have asked, which is whether your PTSD is service-related - I'll assume it is unless you say otherwise. If so, you may be entitled to a War Pension and/or an Armed Forces Scheme Compensation payment - but bear in mind that I don't have all the info, so don't take that as a guarantee!

I think your first port of call should be the Veterans Welfare Service.  They are expert at providing advice in your type of situation, on benefits (including War Pensions and AFCS) , and making appropriate referrals.  Just ring whichever office is closest to you.

Short term, get in touch with the ABF; they can help with financial grants through Regimental Associations. 

You should also contact your local council, because you may also be entitled to Council Tax Benefit  and Housing Benefit.  Make sure you tell them you are a Veteran, because every council in the country has signed the Armed Forces Covenant, and that will help you if eventually you need rehousing. If necessary, ask to speak to their Armed Forces Champion. 

Also, have a look at Veterans Gateway; it's a one-stop shop that has lots of information, including on employment. 

It's good to hear that you're getting help from Combat Stress, so you know to get in touch with them if you find it all getting on top of you.

Of course, come back here if you need more help.  Let us know how you get on.

Told or received the Notice of Eviction ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Please find attached documents for your attention.

Your landlord has instructed Your Move to serve you notice to vacate the property as they require possession. We have therefore terminated the tenancy and your last day at the property will be the 31/07/19. 

Please be aware that as your tenancy ends on the 31/07/19 all keys to the property must be returned to the local branch on this date. If you are not able to return the keys to the local branch within normal branch opening hours please contact the branch to discuss alternative arrangements to return the keys on the end of lease date.

There will be a Check Out inspection carried out after you have vacated the property and we will contact you to advise of the time and date of the inspection should you wish to attend. There is a fee of £120.00 (£100.00 + VAT) for this service which is detailed in your signed fee declaration form. You will need to make payment for this before your termination. If you would prefer to make this payment by bacs bank transfer our bank details are as follows.

Barclays Bank  Your Move Lettings

Sort Code  20 97 19

Account Number  30388408

Please use KIN753T4 as the payment reference.

Please advise by reply email if you choose to make the payment by bank transfer so that our accounts department will be aware and allocate the payment correctly.

Letters including the section 21 notice will be sent to you which I have also attached a copy of to this email. I have also attached a copy of the Guidance Notes for Tenants, which will help with the check out procedures. Please read them and take the appropriate action to ensure a speedy check out.

Should you wish to vacate the property earlier then you would still be required to give notice in accordance with your tenancy agreement. Please contact us should you wish to give your notice on the property.

I will now pass this information onto our Property Management Consultants who will be able to assist you with the End of Lease procedures and the release of the Security Deposit. If you would like to contact them then you can by phone on 02380 715 814 or 02380 715803 and option 4 or by Email at [email protected]

Yours sincerely

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

nick7602 - under the Armed Forces Covenant, as a veteran in housing need who has a serious medical condition or disability that has been sustained as a result of your service in the Armed Forces, you should be placed in Band A (top priority) by your local authority if you apply to them for housing.

But do get in touch with the VWS as soon as you can - they have lots of experience in these matters. 

Shelter has veteran-specific advice - details are on the Veterans Gateway.  There are also a number of organisations that provide housing for veterans - Alabare, Haig Housing, The Stoll Foundation and others; again, details on the Veterans Gateway.  The RBL has a scheme to help with deposits if you decide on renting privately again.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I will try the organisations mentioned.......Im just stunned and shocked and dealing with PTSD as well is just overwhelming really

But thanks for all your help everyone....youve all been very kind.....im going to see the RBL tomorrow

7 hours ago, honeybee13 said:

It must be hard,  I know.  Do you feel able to contact the people who can help you? It could be a weight of your mind to have back up. 

HB

Hi Honey bee, I have made contact with the RBL.....I will see them tomorrow.....thank you for your very kind concern

1 minute ago, honeybee13 said:

You're very welcome. Please let us know how you get on and ask any more questions you need to, we're here to help. :)

HB

I dont know what to say, youve all been very kind thank you

• Like 1

Please also contact your local MP,

All have weekly or monthly 'surgeries'

Email

or Call

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• dx100uk changed the title to Letting Agent Looking to Serve Notice - I have PTSD