The Gym Group and Harlands Admin Fee

egawe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1759 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello guys

As many others,

I am in a situation where I missed my monthly payment and Harlands want me to pay admin fee of 12 pounds. 
I know its not much but I dont want to pay that.

I have read multiple topics here with the same problem

I know the way now is to cancel DD and to send the letter offering to pay 1 month and nothing else, 14 days to respond, otherwise I shall not pay anything. 

My question is:

If Harlands claim to its admin fees is in fact illegal or at least not enforceable - why bother sending the letter at all?

Why dont I just cancel my DD and send an email saying Im happy to pay one month fee but thats it. 

If they answer to that email and they will - isnt that sufficient proof that they have received my email and I had a good will to pay my monthly fee?

Also, are you 100% sure that if I follow the instructions with the letter, there is no chance they can ever cause me any kind of trouble except for the threats of course?

Thank you very much for your insights and answers.

letter not email

unlawful - not illegal or unenforceable

gyms don't do court

gym debts don't show on credit files

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Egawe and welcome to CAG

Firstly, can you please confirm the amount of the suggested admin fee as £12 is lower than previously and normally charged by Harlands/CRS.

Send the letter to Harlands offering to pay the missed fee but no more. As DX says, post the letter.

If they fail to accept the offer, cancel the DD mandate via your bank. And if they use the DD mandate to take any amount in excess of the monthly fees, you can reclaim this using the DD Guarantee Scheme.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Dear all

I can confirm they are now asking for a lower fee of 12 pounds. Probably because people will be less motivated to fight it and they will collect more money. 

I will be leaving Scotland within a month so I have decided to pay. In the attached file you can see a screenshot of the email from them.

Bez názvu.png

Edited by egawe

Then cancel the dd

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Egawe,

I suspect they're reducing the £25 to £12 as they think this will be easier to justify as it's in line with the maximum fee chargeable by credit cards. However, we advise folk to challenge such fees if credit card operators charge you and even more so if Harlands try this.

I suspect they'll take the £24.99 using the DD and then seek the gym fee next month because you haven't followed their "cancellation process".

I strongly suggest you cancel the DD mandate and write the letter suggested in my last post. If they've already taken the DD from your bank, you can reclaim it using the DD Guarantee Scheme.

If you pay them this month, they'll see you as an easy target and come for more.

Please confirm :-

1. Are you in a rolling monthly agreement or a 12 month agreement that is still in the first 12 months.

2. Have you given the gym or Harlands written notice of cancellation.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)